Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fireproofing palm tree thatch roof
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 06:00 PM
Fireproofing palm tree thatch roof

I googled it and found lots of products. But I want some Nomad input on this. I have a level patch of thatch about 6' by 18'. It`s really dry now and fireworks worry me. I`m thinking of covering it with plywood as I don`t think a spent skyrocket would have enough heat to light up plywood. Any suggestions??

roof.JPG - 133kB

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 06:17 PM

I would not rely any any product that claims to fireproof a thatch roof.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 06:33 PM

they make a fire rated plywood.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 06:44 PM

Spray on some cement
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 07:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
I googled it and found lots of products. But I want some Nomad input on this. I have a level patch of thatch about 6' by 18'. It`s really dry now and fireworks worry me. I`m thinking of covering it with plywood as I don`t think a spent skyrocket would have enough heat to light up plywood. Any suggestions??

Why would you cover Palm with plywood?
Tear it down and put up a real roof.
Whole thing is under 150 sq ft, so would not cost much to replace with proper roofing material.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 07:19 PM

There is a lot to be said for the palapa roof, the first of which is the ambience of Baja and the rustic nature of the roof.
Take a look at a company called http://www.thatchco.com The stuff isn't cheap but it works.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Whole thing is under 150 sq ft, so would not cost much to replace with proper roofing material.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 07:28 PM

I would cover it because I like it and want it. Covering it would not take away from the the beauty and feel it provides as I only view it from below.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 08:48 PM

I would cover it because I like it and want it. Covering it would not take away from the the beauty and feel it provides as I only view it from below.
How would you go about attaching the plywood so it didn't blow away with the first wind storm?

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

How would you go about attaching the plywood so it didn't blow away with the first wind storm?

Nails or screws into the framing.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 08:58 PM

Use zip ties. Add some rocks to weigh it down. Cinder block weights would add that classy touch!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 09:10 PM
Fireproofing

Having had a 10 x 10 Thatch Palapa done in Baja reasonably for (at the time) $600 (built over an existing elevated pad), I was intrigued when I saw a contractor's truck one day in Palm Desert for an outfit that did Thatch-Roof Patios.

Mentioning it later to a neighbor in Baja who lived in San Diego, he said "Yeah, I checked into it once for my backyard up North. $4,000.00. Supposedly due to the fire-resistance codes ".

SO, obviously, whatever treatment product that THEY use meets code requirements.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

Nails or screws into the framing.
Two-inch wood screws with washers would secure the plywood into the stringers. Then paint it with roof coating to keep the plywood sun- and rain-resistant. You'd still enjoy the rustic interior palapa ceiling, the roof-edge palm-frond fringe, and would have a safer, better insulated rooftop. For aesthetics, I assume the rooftop can't be seen from ground-level. Edited to add that another option would be to use corrugated aluminum sheeting, same screws & washers, same roof-coating, rather than plywood.

[Edited on 2-22-2016 by Mulegena]

[Edited on 2-22-2016 by Mulegena]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 10:06 PM

Barrier Foil acts as both a fire resistant barrier and a thermally reflective insulator. An added advantage is that, once it is fixed to the roofing laths, the foil provides a weatherproof covering to the the roof during the thatching operation. We used this in two of my nightclubs.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 07:19 AM

How do these barriers make the palm fireproof?
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 08:55 AM

Johnstan Company
5401 Linda Vista Rd
San Diego
(619) 574-06one zero

The only information I could find on them. Stan died several years ago and I don't know if the company is still around.
They made a water based solution that was used on the palm frond roof on the tiki hut at Mission Bay Deli. The frond would burn in the direct flame of a lighter but wouldn't spread and went out as soon as you took the lighter away.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 01:05 PM

I was a State Fire Marshal licensed Flameproofer for over 12 years. What we used for this type of application, (natural cellulose based materials), worked great, provided it wasn't exposed to sun or moisture in which it broke down in time. This would work with periodic applications, although not approved for permanent use.
Most of all our was done indoors, mainly on decorative materials. The only product approved for exterior use at that time was an intumescent paint. Of course you would be changing the appearance of the palma using this product, (although the paint is tintable).
No easy solution while maintaining natural appearance of the leaves.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 04:25 PM
Check with those who build them

http://www.sdpalapas.com
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 07:08 PM

Ask the folks down at Puerto Escondido at the trailer court about thatch roofs. Not so good. They are not allowed in the Oasis (Mulege) any more. And if you don't keep the beard cut back on your palms it will be an issue.

I think that the combination of fire and wind have made thatch a thing of the past if you either have neighbors or wish to insure your place.

I like my fiberglass fake tile just fine. Thatch is for beach palapas.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 08:20 PM

Wet it down when there are fireworks

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2016 at 01:24 PM

Saves the house. Water proofing fan leaf(s) is certainly not reliable. Not allowed in San Francisco for this reason......unless a barrier is applied. Better than no protection.

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
How do these barriers make the palm fireproof?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.