Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Whale Watching
GonzagaJay

Mood: Happy

biggrin.gif posted on 3-1-2016 at 10:01 AM
Whale Watching

Hi Guys, I have just returned from Baja on Sunday. I was able to buy Pesos at almost 19 to one. Great savings on all purchases. We entered thru Mexicali and drove straight to Gonzaga Bay. Roads were great and the weather was perfect. We spent 3 nights in Gonzaga. Gas station was open and Rancho Grande had all kinds of food including frozen meats. The road south to Mex 1 was new and beautiful for about 12 miles then it dropped down to the old road. We were on and off the old road the rest of the way. The construction crew had smoothed out a lot of it but I was crawling on a few parts of the old stuff. Some of it I was able to go 45MPH. To be nice to my Motorhome I took 2 hours to go 38 miles. Gonzaga to Mex 1 is 38 miles. Many big trucks are taking this route both ways at it can save them 2 or 3 hours over Mex 1 thru Ensenada south to the Gonzaga bay turn off. I would recommend going thru Gonzaga every time if you are going south of the Gonzaga bay turn off. We left early, 7:30am, and drove straight to the Whale watching in Guerrero Negro. I few potholes in route but they were all patched but the time I was on my way home. The 13 miles dirt road to the Whale Watching was easy with only very light washboard. $45 per person, well worth it. After the Whale Watching we drove to San Ignacio. We got there about 30 min after dark and stayed at Rice and beans. Not bad but not great either. The next day the Whale Watching was cancelled due to wind. We decided to go to Santa Rosalia for the day as its only 45 miles. We visited the Volcanos then hit town. The old down town is really interesting. We were back at San Ignacio and checked into the Ignacio Springs BNB. Great place to stay and great breakfast too! We still had some daylight so we went Kayaking in the lake. Ya its small but in Baja it’s huge. The next morning we went Whale Watching thru Antonio’s, $50 per person. The road out there was pretty good. I’m glad I didn’t take my motorhome but I could have made it with an extra 45 minutes or so. There are a few really rough parts but doable in a car. The road is about 40 miles with the last 10 being dirt. San Ignacio is a beautiful place with the spring bring life and beauty to the area. A special shout out to Edson at the Ice cream shop for his great advice. We hung out in the town square for a few hours and had a few beers. A few bugs came out just before dark to look out! Long pants and shoes will take care of it. San Ignacio as a new hotel and market. Really nice place! As you enter the square stay right and you can’t miss it. We had dinner with Edson at Tootsie’s the last night there. He self-taught himself English thru YouTube and has no accent. Tootsie’s is a mix of food but not really any Mexican food. We really enjoyed it. Ride home was uneventful except Mom had a few panic attacks because of the big trucks and the buses. Those old roads are narrow, scary. Most of the potholes were patched, worst part was in the south part of Ensenada and at the Otay border crossing. We drove from San Ignacio to San Quintin the first day and stayed at la Villa. It’s like a nice Motel 6. Very clean and only $42 a night. We ate and the Garden, it was very good. Not sure how to spell it in Spanish. To get there take the Old Mill road to the first left and go down about a ½ mile. On our way thru Ensenada we stopped at the Sholams(Near the harbor on the main road) for lunch. One of the best meals we had, great value. It took us 8 hours to drive from San Quintin to San Clemente. All those little villages, speed bumps and traffic make it a long day. Border crossing at Otay took 30 min. I would take Mex5 when every possible. Funny I ran into to people I know at Gonzaga bay, Guerrero Negro Whale watching and San Ignacio. Baja it’s a small/big place. Safe travels my friends! Dirt bikes relax me, crashing not so much!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 10:25 AM

Great report especially as we are headed down in a few weeks. Thanks!

Question/comment: why do people pay for whale watching in dollars versus pesos?

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 11:00 AM

Thanks for posting such a great report. it sounds like a great trip!

I inserted section breaks for readability, I hope you don't mind (my eyes hurt reading dense texts).

----------

Whale Watching

Hi Guys,

I have just returned from Baja on Sunday.

I was able to buy Pesos at almost 19 to one. Great savings on all purchases.

We entered thru Mexicali and drove straight to Gonzaga Bay. Roads were great and the weather was perfect.

We spent 3 nights in Gonzaga. Gas station was open and Rancho Grande had all kinds of food including frozen meats.

The road south to Mex 1 was new and beautiful for about 12 miles then it dropped down to the old road. We were on and off the old road the rest of the way. The construction crew had smoothed out a lot of it but I was crawling on a few parts of the old stuff. Some of it I was able to go 45MPH. To be nice to my Motorhome I took 2 hours to go 38 miles.

Gonzaga to Mex 1 is 38 miles. Many big trucks are taking this route both ways at it can save them 2 or 3 hours over Mex 1 thru Ensenada south to the Gonzaga bay turn off. I would recommend going thru Gonzaga every time if you are going south of the Gonzaga bay turn off.

We left early, 7:30am, and drove straight to the Whale watching in Guerrero Negro. I few potholes in route but they were all patched but the time I was on my way home. The 13 miles dirt road to the Whale Watching was easy with only very light washboard. $45 per person, well worth it.

After the Whale Watching we drove to San Ignacio. We got there about 30 min after dark and stayed at Rice and beans. Not bad but not great either.

The next day the Whale Watching was cancelled due to wind. We decided to go to Santa Rosalia for the day as its only 45 miles. We visited the Volcanos then hit town. The old down town is really interesting.

We were back at San Ignacio and checked into the Ignacio Springs BNB. Great place to stay and great breakfast too! We still had some daylight so we went Kayaking in the lake. Ya its small but in Baja it’s huge.

The next morning we went Whale Watching thru Antonio’s, $50 per person. The road out there was pretty good. I’m glad I didn’t take my motorhome but I could have made it with an extra 45 minutes or so. There are a few really rough parts but doable in a car. The road is about 40 miles with the last 10 being dirt.

San Ignacio is a beautiful place with the spring bring life and beauty to the area. A special shout out to Edson at the Ice cream shop for his great advice. We hung out in the town square for a few hours and had a few beers. A few bugs came out just before dark to look out! Long pants and shoes will take care of it. San Ignacio as a new hotel and market. Really nice place! As you enter the square stay right and you can’t miss it.

We had dinner with Edson at Tootsie’s the last night there. He self-taught himself English thru YouTube and has no accent. Tootsie’s is a mix of food but not really any Mexican food. We really enjoyed it.

Ride home was uneventful except Mom had a few panic attacks because of the big trucks and the buses. Those old roads are narrow, scary. Most of the potholes were patched, worst part was in the south part of Ensenada and at the Otay border crossing.

We drove from San Ignacio to San Quintin the first day and stayed at la Villa. It’s like a nice Motel 6. Very clean and only $42 a night. We ate and the Garden, it was very good. Not sure how to spell it in Spanish. To get there take the Old Mill road to the first left and go down about a ½ mile.

On our way thru Ensenada we stopped at the Sholams(Near the harbor on the main road) for lunch. One of the best meals we had, great value.

It took us 8 hours to drive from San Quintin to San Clemente. All those little villages, speed bumps and traffic make it a long day. Border crossing at Otay took 30 min. I would take Mex5 when every possible.

Funny I ran into to people I know at Gonzaga bay, Guerrero Negro Whale watching and San Ignacio. Baja it’s a small/big place.

Safe travels my friends!

Dirt bikes relax me, crashing not so much!

[Edited on 3-1-2016 by BigBearRider]

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 11:35 AM

GonzagaJay, Welcome to the forum, and thank you for posting about your experience. It is always good to get a fresh perspective, and information about things that can change so quickly!

BigBearRider, Thanks for the edit, it does make it easier to follow!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

In San Ignacio the price is set in dollars. We always pay in pesos out at the lagoon, but they have to call into town to get the current exchange rate.

Setting the price in dollars is more stable, especially with what has happened this year with the peso.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 02:40 PM

Thanks for the report! Headed this way to see whales wih 9 people very soon! Hope the weather stays good.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2016 at 03:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

In San Ignacio the price is set in dollars. We always pay in pesos out at the lagoon, but they have to call into town to get the current exchange rate.

Setting the price in dollars is more stable, especially with what has happened this year with the peso.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Fortunately at Ojo de Liebre, one still has the option of paying in pesos which we do as it's less expensive.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 11:26 AM

Ojo de Liebre is 810 pesos per adult.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 04:05 PM

Nice informative and detailed report.

Many thanks
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 06:54 AM

Didn't it used to be like $25 per person? My math skills must be getting worse!

edit: I guess $45 is still cheap. Where else can one get a mouth full of whale snot, at any price?

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by woody with a view]

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Per panga? Per person thats outa most Mexicans budget.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 02:16 PM

great report GbayJay!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 02:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
..... Where else can one get a mouth full of whale snot, at any price?

Woody,
That whale snot is valuable....

http://www.popsci.com/watch-this-drone-catch-whale-snot

Don't believe everything you think....
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Per panga? Per person thats outa most Mexicans budget.

In Lopez Mateos it is 1,000 pesos per hour for up to six in a panga.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 01:44 PM

Where else can one get a mouth full of whale snot, at any price?

[Edited on 3-8-2016 by woody with a view][/

So true!!
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 06:00 PM

Didn't it used to be like $25 per person? My math skills must be getting worse!

edit: I guess $45 is still cheap. Where else can one get a mouth full of whale snot, at any price?

Been a very long time since it was $25 per person.
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:44 AM

Pagemos $750 pesos/adultos y $500 pesos/jovenes a Mario's en el 2 de Marzo.
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:49 AM

Pagemos $750 pesos/adultos y $500 pesos/jovenes a Mario's en el 2 de Marzo.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 04:58 PM

As Bill said, last year at Lopez Mateos we paid $200 pesos per person, not sure about this year. We were floored when we went to Ojo de Liebre and paid $800. Guess the whales are all gone at Lopez now, next year.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.