Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dog Vaccinations
Reeljob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 07:51 AM
Dog Vaccinations

Our dog needed his Bordetella shot while we were in Mexico. Had it done. Now Vets in San Diego and CO say they will not recognize the Mexican shot and we need to have him vaccinated here.

Anyone else experience this?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 08:07 AM

Nope. we get our K-9's vaccinated in Ensenada every year. When in Nevada we show the Vet the vaccination paperwork, no problems.

You might ask your vet(s) why

Quote: Originally posted by Reeljob  
Our dog needed his Bordetella shot while we were in Mexico. Had it done. Now Vets in San Diego and CO say they will not recognize the Mexican shot and we need to have him vaccinated here.

Anyone else experience this?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 08:50 AM

A year ago I adopted a six month old pup in northern CA. I was surprised when she came down with kennel cough, because I thought Bordetella was part of her puppy shot package. I was told that it is a recommended shot, but not required.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 09:28 AM

I have had my dogs vaccinated in Mex. That was accepted at the border and by my vets. Bordetella is usually only required by some kennels and doggy day cares. I had to vaccinate my puppy once when we we planned on kenneling her. It is a live vaccine that is only good for 1 yr., she reacted to it. Bunch of nasal conjestion. Nasty. If yo live in the countyside or mountains it is usually not even much of a risk unless your dog is around many other dogs. Dr Jean Dodds DVM has some great info regarding vaccination protocol if you are interested. I am not anti-vaccine I just don't like stuff pushed on me and my dogs without a reason given.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 02:40 PM

***note that I'm not a veterinarian***
Bordatella jabs are closer to a flu shot than a rabies vaccination. If I got it in a different country I might be concerned about what strains were covered. If you do get it done elsewhere, you should get documentation of the brand and vial number/expiration for your vet records.

That said, it honestly doesn't matter if your vet "recognizes" it or not. It is not a required vaccination for licensing, etc. It may be required if your dog goes to a kennel or doggie day care, and is advisable if your dog is exposed to many different dogs, particularly in an enclosed environment.

If it were my dog: I wouldn't worry about it unless I had to have proof of vaccination for a kennel/class/daycare or if I thought my dog was going to be at high risk of exposure. If that were the case, I'd get it done again, no big deal.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.