BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Otay Mesa Ped Crossing Trip Report (non CBX)
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 06:03 PM
Otay Mesa Ped Crossing Trip Report (non CBX)

I just returned from a great PVR trip. We used Volaris Airlines as usual. I just wanted to give an update of prices and crossing the border by foot experience.

Parking at border - $8/day
Taxi to TIJ Airport - $12
Visa per person - $390 pesos

For the months of Feb, March, April, May CBP is checking all pedestrians as they walk across the border. Signs are displayed all over the bridge saying they are testing new technology for these months. They want to track you coming and going crossing the border.

At the border they had agents asking for passport, Sentri card or Visa. we were directed to the sentri lane because we have them. Camera took pictures of your face and then you just hold up your card to the card reader and you are good to go. More big brother :(

There is still much construction at the border. Taxis are getting further and further away. I'm not sure if they are going to get moved back closer when everything is complete.

Used my Charles Schwab card in TIJ airport. I got 18.44. Pretty much what XE.com said for the day. Most restaurants/bars in PVR were at 15:1 so it worked out well for us.

Return
No one checked our Visas at PVR nor TIJ airport. They even had 3 people monitoring as we exited to baggage claim at TIJ.
Taxi to border - $200 pesos

We arrived in the morning due to fog at the TIJ. We had to sleep in the PVR airport overnight. Volaris offered everybody free Hotel and Taxi but by the time they got around to processing all 200 passengers it was 2am (only 1 lady on duty at 12:30am) and we had to be back in the airport by 5am for an early departure so we elected to sleep there. In all my years travelling I never had to do that. Checked that off my bucket list and hopefully will never have to do that again. :)

Thankfully we have Sentri. Breezed right through. We would have had an hour wait at least. There are new Sentri/Passport machines. They are equipped with a scanning camera that moves up and down. Very futuristic looking. They had helpers at each machine to guide you through the new interface.

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by mrfatboy]
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2016 at 06:19 PM

Interesting and detailed.

thks
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 02:51 PM

Mrfatboy, I assume you used Volaris website, looks straightforward, reliable? The baggage section, one picks the
'basic' ? 1 carryon, 1 checked bag? No surprises? Printout boarding
pass? Planning a trip to Mex City from TJ, flying back out of a different city
thanks for your time

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by sancho]
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 03:58 PM

@sancho

You can you use either the website or the smartphone app. I have used both no problems. They allow you to check in and pick your seats 72 hours in advance. You can then either print your tickets at home or print them at the airport using the Kiosk.

If you choose printing at kiosk (I do this for return trip) it will ask you for your passport #, confirmation #, or credit card that you used to book the tickets. Follow the on screen questions and print your boarding pass. Simple.

I have flown Volaris for the last 5 years and they have changed their baggage rules every time. Currently the "basic" is 2 small carry on's and a checked bag which can be up to 55lbs. I always only do the carry ons. They can be sticklers if you go over and you get charged mucho dinero. You can always upgrade your ticket and buy more luggage addons.

They have always been on time except this last time but it was not their fault. TIJ was socked in with dense fog.

If you need more info just let me know.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.