Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Favorite Spots to Eat in Ensenada
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
You guys are awesome. Thanks Nomads and friends. Palmas is booked so we're gonna have to find another dog friendly hotel! Gonna review your recommendations tonight. Thanks all. We may end up just going all the way to colonet and staying at Hotel Paraiso.

So Hotel Paraiso is dog friendly? I hope so.

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2016 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I mentioned El Taco de Huitz. not because it could be walked to from the hotel, but that it was a favorite and very unique place. Take a taxi!

David Eidell (DavidE or 'Dah-veed' here) who has been everywhere in Mexico (or close) said it had the best authentic Mexican food in ALL of Mexico. I was with him, elgatoloco, BajaBarb and Fishin' Rich on my first time there (Aug. 2001).

El Taco de Huitzilopochtli, in Ensenada. Open on weekends only. Avenida de las Rosas 242 Tel. (6) 174-23-81. It is located in the far north-east corner of town.

I first went to El Taco de Huitzilopochtli around 1994. I learned about it from a person I was working with who was a member of the Club de España in Ensenada. This group used to do the Paella Gigante every year in October for El Día de la Raza at Quintas Papagayo. They would serve up to 1500 people. It was a great event, and I would sit with them as an “insider” and enjoy the goodies they only prepared for themselves.

The first time at El Taco de Huitzilopochtli I only had directions to the residential neighborhood in which it is located. I drove and stopped to ask when I got close. The owner Don Casimiro was delighted to show me his estilo Texcoco barbecue pit and his herb garden. Any place in Baja that serves cuitlacoche and flor de calabaza gets my attention. The food is certainly authentic.

There is authentic cooking all over Mexico, including in Mexico City, where, for example, there is Focolare in the Zona Rosa. The states of Puebla, Tlaxcala, Oaxaca, and Chiapas have outstanding regional cuisines. In Parque Nacional Lagunas de Monte Bello in Chiapas, I remember a Maya woman selling quesadillas de flor de calabaza made with local ingredients cooked on a comal over a wood fire. It was authentic and delicious!

In Tijuana restaurants with regional cooking come and go. Two of my favorites were Aquí es Oaxaca and Real del Potosí, both now closed. Some of the upscale restaurants have their own versions of regional dishes. El Taco de Huitzilopochtli is worth a visit for those looking for an authentic dining experience. If you take a taxi, make sure the driver knows where to go. David has posted the address. It’s straight up Reforma near the top, a right on Ambar, and then in two blocks a left on Pirules until Rosas.

¡Buen provecho!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
If only for one night, try the Ensenada Inn, right across from Palmas

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
You guys are awesome. Thanks Nomads and friends. Palmas is booked so we're gonna have to find another dog friendly hotel! Gonna review your recommendations tonight. Thanks all. We may end up just going all the way to colonet and staying at Hotel Paraiso.

Gonna call them tonight. You say if only for one night? Does gay mean it's not a place you would want to stay longer than a few hours?
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 11:57 AM

Santo Mitote
https://www.facebook.com/SantoMitote

west end of the same complex where the walmart and the Home Depot heading south of town.

Just for the ample parking alone makes it worth it, especially if you have bikes or stuff in the back of your truck.

Good food, reasonable prices at an upscale-ish looking place. Usually we hit it for breakfast - never had a bad meal or service yet.

[Edited on 3-9-2016 by soylent_green]
bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 07:32 PM

When we would eat in Ensenada (many moons ago), we would always go to El Charro and the get the rotisserie chicken and papas. Can't miss the place with the chickens on the rotisserie spit in the front window.

But like I said, it was many moons ago and may not even still be there.

Food was always good and the price was right!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bigjohn  
When we would eat in Ensenada (many moons ago), we would always go to El Charro and the get the rotisserie chicken and papas. Can't miss the place with the chickens on the rotisserie spit in the front window.

But like I said, it was many moons ago and may not even still be there.

Food was always good and the price was right!

ahhh....the old el charro! its now a big fancy restaurant across the street, still chicken in the window and still good...but no fun :no:
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

That's a new-ish restaurant, presumably by the same owners as Las Cazuelas judging by the name and logo?

It sounds similar - excellent food, solid staff, packed for breakfast. I first went there in 2012 - not sure how long it's been around or affiliation with Las cazuelas. I've never been to that one.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.