Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crossing into US in vehicle registered to someone else
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 09:18 AM
Crossing into US in vehicle registered to someone else

Any issues crossing into the US (Tecate) in a vehicle registered to a friend ? Car has current US tags and registration. I have a US drivers license and passport.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 10:19 AM

I was questioned at the US entry at Tecate three years ago because I presented an Alaska drivers licence, but was driving a California plated car. It was registered to me at a CA residence, so no problem, but if I was driving someone else's car I would want to have a notarized permission statement!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
but if I was driving someone else's car I would want to have a notarized permission statement!

That is historically what has been advised. Notarized letter. But never could figure out a non English speaking Mex Authority reading English though. Seems that ?, as
with many others, never has a solid answer. Have read
in the past, Mex Cops have been known to want the
reg owner in the vehicle, not saying that is the case though.
I don't believe it would affect Mex Auto Ins, but my Mex
policy has me and wife listed as drivers.
edit: I should read a little more careful, into the US. But what I
mentioned is still valid, lets just say it is while driving in Mex

[Edited on 3-24-2016 by sancho]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 11:26 AM

The OP was asking about the US border agents.

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
nandopedal
Nomad

Mood: Negra Modelo

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 01:08 PM

Doable just be prepared to perhaps spend an hour or so at secondary and make sure the record of the DMV on the vehicle is clean otherwise........it can turn into a long visit with the guys in blue.

\"There are many dangers in Baja. The most serious of which is not going.\" Christophe Noel (EXPO)
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 01:27 PM

Many trips back into USA, have never been asked about the ownership of the car or if I am the registered owner.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 02:14 PM

i'm asked all the time who the other name on the registration is...it's my sister...i'm on the title...they already know

I've driven a Canadian plated truck across...I was asked why...I was repairing parts...then returning...no sweat
the truck was insured and ihad a permission letter...NOT NOTARIZED just in case...and a phone number of the owner if someone wanted to call him

as long as you are legal and insured you are good to go

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
Many trips back into USA, have never been asked about the ownership of the car or if I am the registered owner.

When you drive up to the booth they already know who owns the Vehic
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 06:16 PM

For four years, we drove my wife's company car, registered to the company. Never asked for letter, ownership, etc. Might help to be old.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2016 at 07:04 PM

On the spring 2013 crossing at Tecate that I mentioned, I should add that it was a pretty slow day for the agents. My total border crossing time, even with a lot of extra questions, was about ten minutes!

Even with all that extra attention, he never asked for paperwork for the dog sitting next to me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.