Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Round trip to Cabo
Highwayman

Mood: Sunny

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 06:40 PM
Round trip to Cabo

Just returned from a three week trip to Cabo. Making the run for the border, we departed Oakley, CA at 0430 on March 3. Blasting down I-5 from Tracy feeling bad for the super commuters headed the other way going to work. The Baja attack vehicle is a bone stock, salvage title Ford Taurus wagon. We were up and over the grapevine by 1100 hrs, took the 210 to the 57 then back to sb I-5 using the carpool lanes. Stopped for gas, pesos and a hot dog at the Chula Vista Costco then crossed the border at San Ysidro. Parked in the declaration lot and got our FMM cards. We were waved into an inspection lane and after a cursory search of the car we headed for the toll road. The toll road costs about $5 but is well worth it. Found our hotel, Castillos del Mar in Rosarito and checked in. The place is ok and it put us close to Puerto Nuevo. Had some outstanding lobster there our first night.

Day two found us on the road early headed for San Ignacio. Started making good time south of San Quintin. Got gas at Baja Cactus, found ice and beer at the market a block down from the Pemex. Great scenery all the way, very little traffic and passing when safe got us into Ignacio Springs resort in the late afternoon. Some crappy sections of road this day with big potholes to dodge. We were waved through the military checkpoints by professional soldiers. The resort was recovering from a fire that did some damage the previous day. Our reservation was good and our hosts were most welcoming. A very comfortable bed in our yurt and a nice dinner in town at their daughter's courtyard restraunt.

Day three. Enjoyed a nice breakfast with our hosts then hit the road for La Paz. A little fog in the valley south of San Ignacio. Light traffic and good road until we rolled into Santa Rosalia. Major potholes and unmarked speed bumps for about a half mile before the downtown. I was starting to think the tire weren't going to last the trip, but they did. Onward to Mulege. We found the Casitas hotel and made a reservation for our return trip. Spoke with Javier who I believe is the owner. The place looks great and has a genuine old Mexico vibe. Gas at the Pemex just south of town along with more ice for the Pacifico's and Debbie's wine. I've been tipping the attendants a dollar if they clean the windshield and they appreciate it. Beautiful scenery along the coast and Santispac is awesome. Very good roads now. Rolled into Constitucion, had my expired license ready to present and had 300 pesos in small bills ready for the crooked cops, but they weren't out this day. I did stop at every Alto sign and proceeded cautiously down the blvd. to the Pemex on the right near the middle of town. There was a military patrol parked there and the soldiers were very polite as we approached to use the Banos. I handed one of the squad guys a stack of last year's Hot Rod magazines to share and he smiled and thanked us....Debbie rolled her eyes. Now onto La Paz. Followed some other gringos to the waterfront and got a parking place directly in front of our hotel. We stayed at the Posada de la Misión hotel and had a room overlooking the Malecon with a balcony for about $55. Great spot that we found a couple of years back. Walked down to Tailhunters for drinks then ate dinner at a large street level restraunt whose name escapes me. The car was safe on the street all night, but I did bring most of our gear up to the room. The Waterfront was hopping Sat. Night. Lots of cool cars cruising the strip, and people enjoying the evening. Excellent breakfast the next morning at an open air cafe...some cheese filled enchiladas with a red sauce were very good. A 10k or half marathon had the streets closed on my route out of town. A friendly female traffic officer directed us in broken English and my minimal Spanish on how to get back to the highway. Two hours later we were in Todos Santos. A great town to wander around but the street improvements have ruined the old Mexico feel. The center median from the church to well past the Hotel CA has been taken out along with the ancient light poles and replaced with wall to wall pavement. Same thing heading south out of town. On to Cabo for two weeks of the good life at our time shares. That's all for now. I want to thank all the nomads who post here for the information and tips that made this trip possible.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 07:55 PM

Where's the other half of the report?????

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 06:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Hold the report up to a mirror and read it backwards. That's the rest of the story!
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 09:27 AM

Nice report, sounds like a GREAT trip.

Thks
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 09:44 AM

Slow day, Woody? ;)

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2016 at 03:54 PM

Here it is, Part 2 of the "Round Trip", a couple months later: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82673

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.