BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OMG Fiat messes with the new Jeep Pickup truck!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

shocked.gif posted on 4-3-2016 at 10:41 AM
OMG Fiat messes with the new Jeep Pickup truck!!

Jeep lovers feared what could come of their vehicles with Fiat controlling Chrysler/Jeep Corporation. The little baby Jeep/ Fiat Renegades just introduced this year have us wondering...

We have been waiting for the Wrangler/Rubicon based Jeep pickup (Gladiator or ?? named model) to go into production for a few years now.

Look at what they came up with:

The Comanche concept truck:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 10:55 AM

Looks like a convertible top. While I'm not a real newer Jeep fan I kinda like the looks of this, I think it will be an acquired taste.

Regards,
Keith
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 11:04 AM

It looks like it might be intended for mid-east market. Imagine it with a gun mount in the bed!

By the way, does anyone on this forum have any real world experience driving one of the new Renegades off road? Fiat doesn't have the best reputation for reliability.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 11:07 AM

Better keep the top on.....having hot brass down the back of your neck is a distraction while driving

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
It looks like it might be intended for mid-east market. Imagine it with a gun mount in the bed!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 11:22 AM

For the Nomads who are not familiar with the 2016 Fiat/Jeep Renegade:

This was what we were hoping to see made by Jeep:

OR

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 11:48 AM

I think Fiat may be going to manufacture the new Jeep at their manufacturing facility in Saltillo that they are building. They already have a Jeep Renegade/ Fiat Toro plant in Brazil but it would probably be cheaper to ship parts from Italy to Matamoros and truck them to Saltillo.

Bob Durrell
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 01:37 PM

Performance, not beauty, is what counts. As long as that ugly little thing gets you there and back, who cares what the sheet metal looks like. But, I tend to agree with the earlier comment questioning the Fiat reliability.
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 01:47 PM

. . .Wonder about the 4WD drivetrain & motor & where they are built; if Italy I would take a HUGE pass. . .
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
But, I tend to agree with the earlier comment questioning the Fiat reliability.

According to Consumer Reports, in 2015 the only brand less reliable than Jeep is Fiat.

http://jalopnik.com/fiat-chrysler-brands-last-in-consumer-re...

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

According to Consumer Reports, in 2015 the only brand less reliable than Jeep is Fiat.

http://jalopnik.com/fiat-chrysler-brands-last-in-consumer-re...

You only have to be a little better than the worst.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 06:05 PM

Don't know if Fiat is involved, but (Dodge) Ram trucks are built in Saltillo

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
I think Fiat may be going to manufacture the new Jeep at their manufacturing facility in Saltillo that they are building. They already have a Jeep Renegade/ Fiat Toro plant in Brazil but it would probably be cheaper to ship parts from Italy to Matamoros and truck them to Saltillo.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Better keep the top on.....having hot brass down the back of your neck is a distraction while driving

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Keep in mind that said machine gun will never be used and only dropped once if the French have anything to do with it.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 08:05 PM

One year ago, I went car shopping with my wife, and we visited the Fiat dealership. I test drove a Fiat 500, and the takeaway from that drive made me think, "A toy car made by Fisher-Price.". It felt lightweight and flimsy - more so than the Suzuki Grand Vitara my ex-inlaws rented to follow me up Berdoo Canton Road 16 years ago. I think the Brazilian-made Renegade has brawny looks for a subcompact car, but I doubt that with the new Daystar budget boost lift kit and upsized tires, that it will get you through the Pole Line Road or up those steep Dunes at Cantamar.:!:

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Don't know if Fiat is involved, but (Dodge) Ram trucks are built in Saltillo

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  

Yep Fiat buids them there and they are building a second plant for the Jeep production. GM also has a plant there.

http://www.automotivemeetings.com/mexico/images/cartes/plantas-vehiculos_ligeros.jpg

Bob Durrell

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.