BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Help me get to the lighthouse! (please)
VegasNick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 12:54 PM
Help me get to the lighthouse! (please)

So I had a "bucket list" item to get to the light house and mine at Bahia Concepcion. I made it to this point on the trail I had been researching and found a fence: 26.679313, -111.769898

It was late, and trying to be a good trail citizen, I didn't open the gate and drive through. can you guys help me be sure I can be on the right trail next time?

Thank you!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 01:03 PM

if a gate is closed but not locked you are expected to leave it in the same condition after you pass thru.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 03:36 PM

Curious to see how this pans out - that's also on my bucket list.

I see a little rancho north of your fence line:

https://goo.gl/maps/BPh9yzGEK2o

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 09:01 PM

If the gate is not posted with keep out or private property signs and not locked you can go thru but make sure you close it if it was closed when you got to it.

It would also be good to stop by the ranch and ask them if it's OK to go to the light house. Maybe offer a beer or soda.

On Google Earth the road goes north then west to the coast and follows the coast line to the light house. We went close to the light house about 15 years ago to a really nice sandy beach. There were four sail boats at anchor and a man and wife came over to the beach in a rubber boat to where we were and chatted for a while. They were from Moro Bay and they quit their jobs and decide to go sailing for a year. Young couple late 20s or early 30s.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 09:11 PM

Posted a couple years ago...

Quote: Originally posted by CarlosAK  
Being a newbie I wanted to learn how to properly post pics to the site. Using David K's instructions and working off my Ipad here are a few pics I took out at the old Conception Mine last winter. Thank you David K

From Pompano, with map pointing it out and photos from the sea: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71228

More...

Quote:
Originally posted by rockman
There are several references to the Gavilan mine which produced manganese (not magnesium) for the US war effort during WWII. At that time, more than 6,000 people worked at the mine. It was operated by a Mexican subsidiary of the Homestake Mining Co. Lessened post-war demand diminished the output, and the mine closed when a hurricane devistated much of the infrastucture in 1946. Although many of the foundations and concrete floors still survive, all of the equipment was salvaged and moved to other operations. The ore consisted of veins of pyrolusite, traces of which can still be picked up. There are great campsites, but the drive from the west side of the peninsula to the east can be quite challenging. High clearance is mandatory.

Best References:
Baja Explorer magazine (Later called Baja Life), Nov-Dec, 1991. Article by Bob Vinton.
Manganese on Punta Concepcion, by James Noble, Calif Inst of Tech, in Economic Geology, v45#8, Dec, 1950.

Here is the magazine cover, followed by the 4 pages of the article by Baja Bob (Bicycle Bob) Vinton!

[Edited on 4-4-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 09:15 PM

Want to see more of this mine?

Search "manganese" here on Nomad.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

VegasNick
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 10:22 PM

WOW! Thanks guys!! LOTS of help!
fourninerpapa
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 11:23 AM

We made the trip to the mine last month. The road beyond Rancho El Salto is very overgrown with brush. If you are traveling in anything other than a quad or motorcycle you can expect lots of "baja pin stripes" We did not find the road to the lighthouse. I suspect you would have to travel along the beach at low tide.
Three rigs made the trip. We had a Jeep, Geo Tracker and a full size Chevrolet van. The van had a 4x4 conversion and it got the worst of the scratches.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 12:03 PM

what did bajapattys house look like?
did you take any pictures

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
what did bajapattys house look like?
did you take any pictures

Last time I was there several years ago there was nothing left of the house but the slab.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.