Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crossing south at Tecate
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 09:11 AM
Crossing south at Tecate

On Saturday we crossed at Tecate with 11 people in 3 vehicles for a day trip. Only two didn't need tourist visas, so we decided to stop to get them for the rest. Mexican customs told us we didn't need them!!

On we went east to the archeology site at El Vallecito, very close to La Rumorosa. This is an area of boulders and rock formations and an ancient ceremonial site of the indigenous Kumiai. There are paintings in the rock shelters and a trail that make a loop to guide the visitors to see them. Under a brilliant blue sky the area took on an otherworldly aspect and made it easy to understand why the site was chosen. Temperatures were mild, but I imagine it could get very hot in the summer. It's high enough to get snow in the winter.

There's a small entrance fee, and the caretaker only takes pesos. He doesn't speak English, but is very informative if you know Spanish. There are trilingual explanations along the trail. He told me that when it snows, a lot of people come up to see the snow when the road opens, and they get in a lot of accidents.

Afterward we went to eat at La Misión restaurant in west Tecate on Highway 2. Nice Mexican ambience with good food and service. I had eaten there before and knew one of the waiters. That never hurts on a return visit.

Most of the construction and detours for the "Pueblo Mágico" program are gone. Only about a 20-minute wait to cross the border to return home. The wait will be much longer on the weekend in the summer. It's a good time to go before the crowds arrive.

JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 05:30 PM

Thanks for the report! Probably going there tomorrow after hiking Cerro Chichi with my brother. The Sierra Juarez/ Laguna (US) mountains are so close and they are best at the change of season.

Was down at the Carrizo Badlands last weekend and the weather was perfect, as was the moonless (until morning) night for star gazing.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-4-2016 at 05:45 PM

Mexican Customs (Aduna) has no say in the Immigration laws. You should have stopped and obtained your FMM's from Mexican Immigration (INM).

Getting the FMM at Tecate is easy and those in your party would be in Mexico legally
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Mexican Customs (Aduna) has no say in the Immigration laws. You should have stopped and obtained your FMM's from Mexican Immigration (INM).

Getting the FMM at Tecate is easy and those in your party would be in Mexico legally

We stopped and Mexican customs told us we didn't need FMMs. Go figure.

Kind of a pain as we had to find parking and walk back to the customs office. I have Residencia Permanente in Mexico, but I didn't want problems for the others in the group.

Years of annual renewal of my FM2 and FM3 had taught me to expect changes in interpretation of the regulations. At one point I was told I didn't have an "expediente básico," the dossier the government has for me. When I asked how that was possible after so many years, I was told there was a new director who was stricter. At that point I hired a notario público to help me with the yearly changes. It got too time consuming for me with all the visits to the government office.

Evidently Tecate is doing things differently at the border than Tijuana. We were on a day trip and not traveling far. Who knows what the future holds?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2016 at 06:53 PM

I think a lot of gringos are confused re Aduana (customs) and Immigration. Either think they are the same entity, don't understand the difference, or use the terms interchangeably.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2016 at 03:31 PM

At Tecate southbound, the people out in the street whom you first meet and possibly fuss with over the contents of your vehicle are Customs. The people in the office on the right are immigration.

You didn't get in an accident or get mugged or anything so you got by. I don't recommend it.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2016 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
Years of annual renewal of my FM2 and FM3 had taught me to expect changes in interpretation of the regulations.

Hey, did you by chance end up switching over from inmigrado to residente permanente? I'm curious what that process entails...

I do have Residente Permanente. The process to get there took me 5 years. The annual fee is higher, but once completed there is no annual renewal. The last year the fee is about double and requires more visits to the government office. I was able to track the progress of my final year on the government website, so I knew when to go into the office. I did mine in Rosarito. Very worthwhile if you are going to be around for any length of time.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 08:06 PM

Sorry, I did misunderstand. I had an FM3 for years as a work permit, then switched to an FM2, which after 5 years converted to residente permanente. I was never aware of an inmigrado status because I never lived full time in Mexico.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.