Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ATM produced no cash?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 07:32 PM
ATM produced no cash?

Hi all,

Les went to the ATM in Vizcaino - got no cash although he tried over and over. When he got home, his American account showed the cash as dispensed.

I have seen many a thread about this very problem but I cant seem to track them down.

What to do? He called the US bank, they said to contact Mexican bank.

I spent one hour and finally got a hold of someone in Vizcaino bank and they said US bank has to put in a request for clarification.

rghrtyuioooooooooooooooooooooo ugh Please tell me what to do.

thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 07:41 PM

Initiate a dispute with the US bank.
You can do that online.
Send them a secure message.

"The ATM did not dispense the cash but I was still charged....please investigate"

In normal circumstances, the US bank will show a "provisional credit" for the amount charged until the investigation is complete.

It's a rather simple matter of the the MX bank reconciling cash dispensed with the corresponding transaction.
Transactions show X mil pesos dispensed, yet there are X mil pesos more in the dispenser than what the transaction indicates at the end of the day.

Been there.....done that.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 07:46 PM

I had an ATM jam on me in Mex. It made all the usual noises but the cash didn't come out, the screen indicated it did. The account is with Bank of America. I called the number on the back of the card, they saw the attempted withdrawal and credited my account.

Go to your bank's website and look for a way to file a complaint/trouble report. I'd try the telephone route one more time.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 07:50 PM

thanks so much. really.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 07:52 PM

ditto, this has happened a few times. Once the machine is balanced, the error gets fixed.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:21 PM

It happened to me in Vizcaino once too and I had to talk to the manager and fill out some forms...I would just go and see the jefe with your printed out bank statement and they will see on their records too the problem.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 08:58 AM

Just like all the others said, deal with the card-issuing bank and not the ATM bank. When I went into the bank after not getting cash dispensed they told me to contact my bank. My account did get credited, but... they immediately cancelled the card promising overnight delivery of a new one... to my USA address. Hopefully yu have a spare card to use for a while.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 09:34 AM

There is no such thing as a spare card!

In my case I would have to use my wife's card until I get my new card as well as a new ATM pin number.
Note: you do have to travel to one of your banks after receiving your new ATM card to activate it and to change the pin number the bank just gave you.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 09:38 AM

We can activate our Credit Union and USAA cards on-line. Great feature

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
There is no such thing as a spare card!

In my case I would have to use my wife's card until I get my new card as well as a new ATM pin number.
Note: you do have to travel to one of your banks after receiving your new ATM card to activate it and to change the pin number the bank just gave you.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 10:09 AM

I am one person who had an ATM ding me for cash that I didnt receive. This was with a B of A card at a Santander machine that was at a Modelo agencia. It was initially credited, while the investigation continued. Final analysis: they said I received the cash. I had no recourse, according to B of A, from Santander. I lost the money that I never received.

I now ALMOST NEVER take money out of an ATM unless it is at a bank and during operating hours, so I can go inside and tell them immediately if I didnt get my cash.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 10:14 AM

The weird part is that the Bancomer bank person was right next to Les and told him to contact his bank.

So bizarre. And Les will have a fit if they cancel the card....why would they do that? Is it defective now?

Come visit La Bocana

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 11:18 AM

It's happened twice to me. Called Chase and they handled it immediately.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 11:40 AM

It appears that only in BajaBlanca's case the American bank said to contact the Mexican bank.

We now travel (months at a time) with cards for 3 different accounts and I've set up electronic transfers between accounts that I can do over the Internet to move money between them.

Another thing that can happen that messes things up is when one of your cards is compromised when a store's data is stolen and the bank cancels your card and sends you a new one. Not good when you're 1000 miles away from the mailbox for several months. Happened to me last year while in Mex.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 12:42 PM

Boy, it sure can turn into a nightmare.

Come visit La Bocana

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 04:21 PM
Don't use this as an example of what to do

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Hi all,

Les went to the ATM in Vizcaino - got no cash although he tried over and over. When he got home, his American account showed the cash as dispensed.

I have seen many a thread about this very problem but I cant seem to track them down.

What to do? He called the US bank, they said to contact Mexican bank.

I spent one hour and finally got a hold of someone in Vizcaino bank and they said US bank has to put in a request for clarification.

rghrtyuioooooooooooooooooooooo ugh Please tell me what to do.

thanks.
Taking the problem into their own hands: https://www.google.com.mx/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.n...

Bob Durrell
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 04:43 PM

I had a private ATM in Cabo screw me once, and never again go to an ATM that is not at a bank.

The case at hand baffles me, because a bank manger should be tasked with the job of fixing what happened.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 01:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
never again go to an ATM that is not at a bank.

The case at hand baffles me, because a bank manger should be tasked with the job of fixing what happened.

My understanding is that mechanical or cash problems with ATM is the local branch responsibility. It's better to contact them immediately on spot. Some employee was "next" to them, could see and understand what happened, or not, or didn't care or didn't have the authority to do anything.

OTH, when you phone US guys later, they should investigate, though with ATM reconciliation issues I understand their reluctance to do anything until (possibly) local ATM problem has been resolved by the end of business day. This is not a perfect world.

[Edited on 4-16-2016 by Alm]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 02:08 PM

no. I talked to someone at bancomer and they explained to me that we did indeed have to contact US bank, so Les wrote them and we are still waiting.

Come visit La Bocana

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 03:08 PM

Hola,

this is a repeat of my problem with a bancomer atm in los barriles.

i put my card in the atm and NOTHING happened. this was on a sunday so i couldn't do anything until monday. i waited until the next person used the machine and i asked her if my card was in the machine and she said no.

come monday, i went into the bank and spoke with the manager. he had no explanation and said there was no transaction recorded. i asked him for my card back and he handed me my SHREDDED card ???

having no recourse, i started using another card from bank of america to which my wife transferred monies.

when i got home, i went to my issuing bank and they said they couldn't give me the same account due to what had happened in mexico.

NO PROBLEMO ! i sat down with the agent and opened FIVE more debit accounts.

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!

i don't use bancomer machines anymore unless there is no other choice. at least banamex machines at the time were a put in and pull out type of machine ( don't get nasty ) and there is no possibility the the card gets lost or SHREDDED.

seems strange to me that a machine would have a shredder inside in the first place.

works for me !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
no. I talked to someone at bancomer and they explained to me that we did indeed have to contact US bank, so Les wrote them and we are still waiting.

Dali is right and you have done the right thing. Your bank will credit your account. It has happened to us a couple of times. Your bank should reverse the charge pretty much immediately, if they don't you need a new bank. This issue has been discussed to death here but Charles Schwab has been stellar for us for 20+ years. Absolutely no fees - ever.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.