Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: flat screen TV
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 05:13 PM
flat screen TV

Just wondering how much you think you will save by buying it NOB.
A number of places in Ensenada sell flat screen TVs, that would do away with the hassles of dragging one down from the states. Just wondering.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Does anyone know from actual experience how much the duty will be bringing a flat screen TV into MX and what the penalty is for not declaring it?

Nope, but definitely get a smart TV; i.e., one that connects to the Internet in addition to the usual TV connections. You'll have the world of Youtube on your TV, plus a lot of other stuff.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 06:18 PM

Really???......you haven't checked prices in Ensenada have you??? For the price of a 32" flat screen at the Ensenada Costco he could get a 48" flat screen at various places in San Diego

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
A number of places in Ensenada sell flat screen TVs, that would do away with the hassles of dragging one down from the states. Just wondering.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 06:26 PM

Maybe someone wants to gift him one. 16% tax whether you tell them or they find it. take a chance and blow the gate!!!

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 08:07 PM

Aduana fix and Ensenada prices are ludicrous, strap it onto the top of an RV and call it a solar panel .
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 08:13 PM

I brought a used flat screen down last summer. I stopped and declared it. It was used and I had a receipt for $400.00. There were 2 of us making our allowance $600.00, so we did not pay any duty.
We didn't have anything else to declare.

Prior to that, I had a used item and no receipt. The agent decided on the price and he was high! I had to pay that time.

The duty is 16% on anything over $300.00 per person. That does not include any construction materials, you pay duty on that. That's what they say.

Pero, I recently had the back of my truck jammed with a new shop vac, sheets of metal a couple 2x4's and about 15 1x2's. It was under the allowed $ amount and he didn't charge me anything.

Good luck, post how it went.

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by fandango]

sbwontoo
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 11:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Really???......you haven't checked prices in Ensenada have you??? For the price of a 32" flat screen at the Ensenada Costco he could get a 48" flat screen at various places in San Diego

Great answers, unless he is asking for info on bringing a tv he already owns, across the border. I brought a 28" tv/dvd down and back a couple months ago, and was never asked anything about it. Maybe you just use it for entertainment off an inverter while camping.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 03:17 AM

I have half an answer....I have brought 2 of them down, in the boxes, in plain sight. In both cases, after a brief conversation, I was waved through and charged nothing (at Tecate).....So like most other things, its kinda the luck of the draw...But I think 16% is the number I have heard most often....

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 07:41 AM

If the TV is that smart, it should be able to hide from the immigration officials.

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Does anyone know from actual experience how much the duty will be bringing a flat screen TV into MX and what the penalty is for not declaring it?

Nope, but definitely get a smart TV; i.e., one that connects to the Internet in addition to the usual TV connections. You'll have the world of Youtube on your TV, plus a lot of other stuff.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 08:37 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for that, Udo.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 09:06 AM
Flat Screen TV

WE brought a 47in. at Costco in U.S and paid 16% at Tecate. not that much savings when you pay sales tax twice.
As a side You can get one at Telnor and they will add the payment to your phone bill.:o:o
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 09:08 AM

Check the packaging for the TV If it says Hecho in Mexico or similar be sure to show that to the customs guy. Recently a local San Felipe guy got a free pass by doing just that.
If your TV is used try to get some kind of paper work that indicates its value. Look for the country of manufacture from your old paper work or possibly a sticker on the the actual TV
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Check the packaging for the TV If it says Hecho in Mexico or similar be sure to show that to the customs guy. Recently a local San Felipe guy got a free pass by doing just that.
If your TV is used try to get some kind of paper work that indicates its value. Look for the country of manufacture from your old paper work or possibly a sticker on the the actual TV

Very interesting. So many appliances that are sold under a bunch of brand names NOB are made in Mexico.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 05:08 PM

Very interesting. So many appliances that are sold under a bunch of brand names NOB are made in Mexico.

My F-250 was made in Mexico. No import duty? Naw, there's more to it, gotta be.

[Edited on 5-5-2016 by SFandH]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.