Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: taking pain killers to Mexico
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 07:28 PM
taking pain killers to Mexico

One of our troop wants to take his pain killers with him when we fly to Loreto this weekend - Norco. The doctor's orders, written on the bottle, says " take one every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain". So, 5 days times 4 pills; he can take around 20?
Does the label on the pill bottle count as "doctor's prescription"? His pharmacist keeps the prescription.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 07:32 PM

My wife has the same Rx, and others, as do I ... we take ORIGINAL labeled pharmacy bottles and keep them together. You can take as many as the qty. that the bottle indicates, but not more! LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2016 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
My wife has the same Rx, and others, as do I ... we take ORIGINAL labeled pharmacy bottles and keep them together. You can take as many as the qty. that the bottle indicates, but not more! LOL

This guy is super anal - the prescription was filled on June 25 so he will remove some of the pills (he didn't take 4 or 5 per day), so that he only has the amount for the days he is there. Prolly little less as he is down to abut 1 or 2 per day.
It's funny how those of us who travel a few times a year or have a house in Baja become 'experts'. Just about the only thing I'm good at is a film canister in the middle of a large Skippy's bottle. Jiff in a pinch. Really, Laura Scudders in the best.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 06:36 AM

My experience traveling all over the world for over 50 years, crossing uncounted number of borders, is that not once has anyone ever questioned prescription drugs.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 08:13 AM

Just slide the extras under my door. Big trouble if you try to take them back. And that goes for the peanut butter too!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 08:34 AM

Have your friend get a copy of the Rx from the pharmacy and carry that with him/her
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
.... Just about the only thing I'm good at is a film canister in the middle of a large Skippy's bottle. Jiff in a pinch. Really, Laura Scudders in the best.

Smooth or chunky ?

The kids these days seem to prefer almond or cashew butter...and those canisters are collector items since digital cameras....:coolup:

As for your friend, the pharmacy-provided pill bottle should have the needed info: name of patient, drug prescribed, referring doctor....a written note from the pharmacist won't necessarily equate to what is in a poorly labeled container....

[Edited on 7-6-2016 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
dobromike

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 11:18 AM

I have been traveling the baja for 43 years and taking pain meds for the same, I just keep them in their original prescription bottle, in a med bag with the rest of my prescription meds. After many, many inspections at the border, both sides, and inspections by military and aduana, I have never had any problems whatsoever. It is my understanding that it is in compliance with the laws of both countries,

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 12:04 PM

Was a few yrs. back, a guy going SOB by plane wanted to know
if his white protein powder in a bag would draw questions.
Over the yrs., I've come to avoid any situation where I have
to explain something, to Mex Customs or the Mex checkpoints.
Was asked by an aquaintance about buying meds in Mex
and bringing them back, in the past a Mex doctors perscription
was required as well as a US perscription? I remember seeing
a box of what appeared to be confiscated meds in a box at the
US Customs ped area, after one clears Customs. So is a US
perscription required, or were these undeclared and confiscated?
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 02:25 PM

Amazon.com, for all your drug-smuggling needs:

Heavy Duty - Black Film Canisters with Gray Lids (15 Pack)

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 03:45 PM

Kinda funny since the biggest issue with Rx meds was always whether folks buying them sob would be able to get them nob through Imm.

I've had asthma since the age of three. Typical rescue inhalers nob were quite expensive. Years ago, I discovered that I could buy them in places such as Walmart, Costco and Soriana for about four bucks apiece. Never had a border agent confiscate them.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2016 at 06:16 PM

Wonder if we'll see an uptick in marijuana issues going into Mexico once weed is legalized in California this year?

As for prescriptions, just keep the outside labeling on the bottle and you should be fine. I took some _______ into last year and didn't have an issue.

Just don't store stuff in baggies or in your pant pocket. Not that I've ever been patted down in Baja. :light::light::light::light::light:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2016 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Wonder if we'll see an uptick in marijuana issues going into Mexico once weed is legalized in California this year?

As for prescriptions, just keep the outside labeling on the bottle and you should be fine. I took some _______ into last year and didn't have an issue.

Just don't store stuff in baggies or in your pant pocket. Not that I've ever been patted down in Baja. :light::light::light::light::light:

While I hope that weed is legalized for recreation, although I don't do it anymore, fact is that as seemingly liberal as California is, there have been many past initiatives that leaned liberal, that were defeated.

Outside of the greater LA and SF areas, there are vast pockets of conservatives who will vote no.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.