Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BAJA - NO BAD DAYS
JC43
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 7-16-2016 at 10:17 PM
BAJA - NO BAD DAYS

Baja - No Bad Days!
Our trip to Milwaukie and back lasted for nearly three month.
I reported that already. On our way home we stopped in Mulege on Wednesday to see our good friends Frank and Tina. Did I say "No Bad Days"? That is only half the truth. This day was one of the best days of 2016 - whatever the future comes up with.
Our friends prepared a piglet on a rotisserie grill. They call it the pig carousel. It is a custom made grill with a device on top to rotate the piglet. Made in Mulege. If it is from any interest I can post a picture.
And, guess what, we had original German beer to the roasted pig. :tumble: Amazingly the German beer tastes much better than anything else I know. And it is cheaper here in Baja than any Mexican or American beer. Even cheaper than in Germany, Frank said. What a surprise! :light:
Well the pig was mouthwatering. Crispy skin. And delicious meat inside. Seasoned to perfection! I was told that the head is one of the best parts with the most tender meat. And "YES" it was - I tried it. Fortunately I did not drown of all the water in my mouth because I used the German Beer to splash the water down. :lol::lol::lol:
I was told that there is a very special recipe to prepare a rotisserie pig. Anybody interested in?
This was by far the best experience of this year - no matter what the future will come up with. :spingrin::tumble:
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 05:42 AM

What brand German beer did you find in Mulege?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 06:19 AM

Budweiser!:lol:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 06:51 AM

Les wants to know WHERE to get it?

good story and there are pig roasts in town here in La Bocana, I have never looked at the rig - next time I will photograph it.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  

Well, well, well, German beer in Mulege? NOPE!
The brand was Bitburger. And you can find it at Sam`s in La Paz.
Frank has always about 100 to 150 cans at home as he is not driving to La Paz only for beer. Of course not.
At WalMart you can find other brands like Becks; Paulaner; Warsteiner and more. Coming in half liter bottles those are far more expensive than canned beer. It might be b/c of the higher weight during transport. The bottle weighs nearly as much as the content.
During our visit at Frank and Tina I learned why the German beer is different - more tasty than all other beers in the world.
There is a Purity Law from 1615 still in effect today. That law says: No other ingredients are allowed in beer than 1.Barley; 2.Water; 3.Hop; 4.Yeast. I argued that also from rice you can brew beer. Frank just laughed about that. He said: Well, you can put chit on your bread. All a matter of taste!
I didn`t want to give up and argued that Heineken is also a good German beer. No, he said. Heineken is Dutch and not brewed under the German Purity Law. And the Heineken you buy here in Mexico is not even brewed in Holland. It is made in the US or Mexico.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 08:04 AM

BREAKING NEWS! You can buy BEER at Walmart!!!!

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
BREAKING NEWS! You can buy BEER at Walmart!!!!

I was wondering how long it might take when the backstabber is throwing in some chit.
O.K., slow brainer: I was asked where to buy German beer in BCS.
And I gave a correct answer.
But for you it is not very understandable, right?
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  

Well, well, well, German beer in Mulege? NOPE!

Thought that might be too good to be true, but you never know. And if in Mulege why not Loreto? When I pick up a case of Pacifico at Cactus and it's just the ladies working the counter I go into the cooler in the back and dig out my own case of Clara. It's packed so tight and high in there you have to navigate the aisle sideways. Who knows what other treasures they might have.
On a road trip to Florida a couple of weeks ago my daughter introduced me to Grolsch, a terrific beer from Holland. When I left Florida I took along a couple of 4-packs for a son in Tennessee. He manages and buys beer for the biggest bar in Chattanooga. After sampling a few he planned to get in touch with a distributor for both the good beer and the cool bottles.
Don't know what it was that you served last week in La Bocana, Blanca, but after the long drive down from the States it sure tasted good. Thanks, again.
All this talk about beer makes me thirsty. It must be 5:00 someplace......
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Les wants to know WHERE to get it?

good story and there are pig roasts in town here in La Bocana, I have never looked at the rig - next time I will photograph it.

Sorry Blanca, I overlooked your question.
This pig carousel was custom made in Mulege.
If you want and if Les is interested, I can send you some pictures from those pig rotisseries. There are real fancy ones you can take as an idea for your construction plan - if Les thinks about building one. Franks grill is using the rotisserie part - the spear - to lower and to raise the meat on the grill.
The actual grill where the meat is on has two little chains at left and right side. Those chains are fitted to the rotisserie part. So, by turning the rotisserie the chains are wrapping themselves around the spear and lowering or raising the grill That is an darn good idea to grill perfect meat AND having a rotisserie!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 10:16 AM

Thank you for your input JC43

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.