BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Permanent Importation and Registration of a travel trailer in Baja California (Norte)
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 02:47 AM
Permanent Importation and Registration of a travel trailer in Baja California (Norte)

Has anybody here (permanently) imported and registered a travel trailer in Baja California (Norte)?

From the BC website if "Remolque - Habitacion" is the right category then it has similar tax and plates to a car.

(for somebody who's vehicular Spanish is better than mine: which Clase/Tipo on that page would motorhomes come under?).

Do the import years (5-10 years old) apply to travel trailers (or are the rules different?), do they get their own registration plate?

Why I'm asking: my SUV is registered in Baja California (and I have a BC DL). As I'm not an American, if I (in the future) got a small travel trailer that I would use in both Mexico and the US, it'd be better for it to have plates which were from the same place (and country) as the vehicle (and me).

I know I could hunt for some US state that would allow me to register the trailer as a non-resident (perhaps SD), but it'd cause a lot of questions, especially at borders, and maybe insurance complications. So being able to register it in BC would make a lot more sense. But has anybody here ever done that, even with a utility trailer?

Rob
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 07:58 AM

Don't know the answer. I would go to a vehicle importer office and ask them. I think there are some at the San Ysidro crossing by the McDonald's and pharmacies on the TJ side.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 08:16 AM

Just take it down and park it..Whats the big deal?

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2016 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Just take it down and park it..Whats the big deal?

It's for touring in both Mexico and (more) the US and Canada, not just parking in a fixed location in Mexico.

The "big deal" is crossing borders as a non-resident of the US, causes complications trying to do (northbound) it with a US registered vehicle owned by me (I have experience of this). Makes much more sense to have it correctly registered in the correct country.

Rob
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 12:51 PM

Did it for years...kept Colorado plates on it...You actually don't cross at a DMV check point...

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Riom  

It's for touring in both Mexico and (more) the US and Canada, not just parking in a fixed location in Mexico.

The "big deal" is crossing borders as a non-resident of the US, causes complications trying to do (northbound) it with a US registered vehicle owned by me (I have experience of this). Makes much more sense to have it correctly registered in the correct country.

What country are you resident of?

Crossing US/Mex and US/Can border in a car, registered in the US while you're not a US resident, is another thing. Mex customs don't care as long as it's registered in your name, but I would expect both US and Can customs asking questions. They just don't like these things.

Adding a Mex plated trailer to this mix wouldn't make it easier, no?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 02:18 PM

Sounds like you want to permanently import a trailer for camping "remolque de campemento" or "casas rodantes" to match your existing car which is registered in BC. There are rules posted on Sat.Gob though it's hard to understand. Take your time and don't rush since you might get some agency just trying to get your money.

You will probably need original and copies of:
your dl, passport, visa, trailer and vehicle title, registration...

You should ask a transit office that gives plates, since they might be able to help since the trailer is associated with the car. If they will help great.

If not ask Sat.Gob Aduana perhaps you call or visit in person, or write. If they say you need to do it like a foreign car (unlikely) its complicated and expensive and it has to be done at the border if at all.

The trailer will need to be legal and likely have lights and so forth.

Don't give up any money or sign over the camper until you have multiple sources of information to confirm the steps. Then report back here. You may also get some info at Mexconnect forums on living in mexico.

info on temporary importation which can work for you http://www.sat.gob.mx/aduanas/vehiculos/importacion_temporal...

Para mayor información puede comunicarse a través de INFOSAT, a los siguientes números telefónicos gratuitos:
Desde el interior de la Republica Mexicana 01 800 4636728 opciones 7-2-2-1-1.
Desde Estados Unidos y Canadá 1 877 4488728 opciones 7-2-2-1-1.

[Edited on 8-31-2016 by gnukid]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 02:36 PM

You might want to try contacting one of the trucking/import companies like ACV. I know they import cars, boats and all sorts of odd equipment. They might have the info you need, or be able to do the import for you.

ACV

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2016 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

What country are you resident of?

Permanent resident of Mexico, where I have my home, DL, car registration - just looking for the process to add a touring travel trailer (or perhaps motorhome) to that to use in all three countries in North America. British passport.

Crossing US/Mex and US/Can border in a car, registered in the US while you're not a US resident, is another thing. Mex customs don't care as long as it's registered in your name, but I would expect both US and Can customs asking questions. They just don't like these things.

I agree. The US doesn't like non-residents owning a US vehicle (then crossing the border with it). CBP think that a US registration is only available to US residents (correct in most but not all states), so consider a US registration an indication that you are aiming to live in the US rather than be a visitor.

Adding a Mex plated trailer to this mix wouldn't make it easier, no?

Having the trailer registered in Mexico would actually make it not a mix - everything in one place (the correct place). Having an owned travel trailer from some state/province in the US/Canada behind a Mexican car is what would cause a problem (not illegal, just weird and a big flag at borders and the internal checkpoints in the US).

Thanks for all the comment from others. This is particular to me not being a US resident, so things which work for Americans don't work for me, so I realise now this is probably not the best place to ask.

I'll try to get the details direct from my local car registration office (and the guy who imported my car if he's still around, and SAT, for the import) when I'm back in Mexico later this year. (I haven't yet brought a trailer, I'm working out how possible all this is first).

Rob

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.