BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road conditions or things to be concerned with on Baja trip
Binger7

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 05:45 PM
Road conditions or things to be concerned with on Baja trip

I am heading back north to fish the Baja starting 9/21 from Cabo. First stop Loreto. Does anyone have a good outfitter contact. Then heading to Bahia de los angeles. Set there. Any road issues or estimated time to cross at Tecate. Final destination is Phoenix. Figuring 5 day trip

Gracias Amigos(as) :):)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 06:29 PM

The road is about same as usual. Some road construction here and there, like always. The landscape is very brown, Baja needs some rain.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 07:08 PM

First things first, welcome to the forum! Since your destination is Phoenix, I would recommend taking the Highway 5 turn off at Chappala and cross the border at Mexicalli or San Luise to the east.

I don't know what you are driving, but there are recent reports on the hwy 5 conditions. The 23 miles of construction can be slow, but passable in just about any vehicle, and will shave many miles and hours off the drive.

It is my route of choice!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 07:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
First things first, welcome to the forum! Since your destination is Phoenix, I would recommend taking the Highway 5 turn off at Chappala and cross the border at Mexicalli or San Luise to the east.

I don't know what you are driving, but there are recent reports on the hwy 5 conditions. The 23 miles of construction can be slow, but passable in just about any vehicle, and will shave many miles and hours off the drive.

Are you testing me??? :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 07:21 PM

Well David, I am sure a condensed version of the recent volume would be helpful, but only if the OP has an interest in that road!

If he does...you da man!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Are you testing me??? :lol:

AKGringo, DK is saying that you can provide the spelling of place names for the next Trail of Missions!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 07:39 PM

I get it now! I thought there were special spellings allowed for places north of Fan Selipe!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 04:52 PM

I would think that anyone from Cabo would be familiar with Jonathan Roldan in La Paz who runs the Tailhunter fleet. He and his wife also run a great restaurant on the malecon in La Paz. Just wondering why someone coming up from Cabo would seek to go fishing at Loreto. Don't get me wrong. I love Loreto.

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by Bajahowodd]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-7-2016 at 08:15 PM
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 09:38 AM

You should make it at least a 9-day trip - fish out of Mulege too. Maybe try Los Barriles first.
Binger7

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 07:42 PM

Thanks for all of the help. I'm only doing this for the adventure and seeing the Baja more. I've done it before but not familiar with Highway 5 but this was also recommended to me by a friend from Indiana who has done it. The purpose of this trip if you are wondering more is I plan on leaving my car in Phoenix at the Honda dealer for some work and then taking a one way air home to Wisconsin. The dealer is storing my car until after xmas when my wife and I are flying to Phoenix from Wisconsin then driving down to Cabo to our home and spending more time like in like Ruta de Vina, etc.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 10:17 AM

at the north end of the malecon in loreto there id a large hotel that sits on about 5 acres of beach, I believe it is now called desert inn. they have a large arch at the entrance. if you are at this arch you leave the hotel and take the road due west about a hundred yards to the next corner. on that corner (left side of street) is Panchos sportfishing. His panga is named Candy. The captain you want to fish with is named Alejandro. I have fished with Alejandro for 15+ years, he is 1 of the best, and loves hunting and fishing. bring mask and snorkel and tell him to bring his...scallops...lobster.... you will not be disapointed. Do not go out with Pancho or his son! they are lazy and will not get up off their butts. Alejandro speaks some broken english and is a joy to spend a day with.
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 10:21 AM

turn right at Chapala. take the 5 to Mexacali. 1 slow section before cocos corner. much more enjoyable drive to the border
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 10:26 AM

just checked on google earth, Panhos driveway is on the left side of street 100 yards west of the Desert Inn arch.
lilgimp

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 04:53 PM
Road Report question

Just read Gringo Gazette article stating that bridges/roads washed out and "they" are laying rock in arroyos with Mulege being problematic as usual....do we have any eyes on or new reports? (Nothing current in road reports where this should be addressed)
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2016 at 05:49 PM

http://www.discoverbaja.com/baja-california-information/road...

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.