BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Can I tow a car across border to Mex?
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 06:35 AM
Can I tow a car across border to Mex?

Hi. I want to transport a little 4x4 SUV to LA Bay to become my Baja car. It has the gear to tow behind an RV and I would tow it behind my F-250. My question is will they let me? My preference would be to tow it alone, without a passenger. So I would be crossing with two vehicles, both registered to me. I don't want to import it. I just want to get it down there and leave it. Thanks.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 06:38 AM

I suspect others have direct knowledge of towing a car behind an RV. I recently attached my dirt bike to the trailer hitch on my car and drove down. I was asked for the registration at the border. I dug through all my stuff and found it. No import. I had my title as well, just to be safe (title was required for TIP a few years ago).
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 06:44 AM

Thanks. I've towed everything in the past. Motorcycles, quads, boats. But never a car. My concern is they probably think I plan to sell it. And that doesn't go over well. Some RVer will chime in eventually.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 06:56 AM

When we brought our Baja car (Chevy Tracker) across, my wife drove the Tracker, I drove the truck. We reconnected at the old Playas toll booth area
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 07:16 AM

What do they call cars pulled behind motor homes.....Toad.......sumthin like that? I see them often. I would imagine they would require proof of ownership if they felt inclined to ask for it. That sounds reasonable.
That said.......in the past, they wouldn't allow cars to be pulled or trailered through that were in any kind of disrepair, even when telling them the vehicle was being taken to a favorite mechanic. Customs just figures the POS is on a one way trip....another illegal vehicle on the road.
Of course, there will be variations of this experience, but that's the way it was.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 07:27 AM

The only requirement to tow or trailer a vehicle going south is you must have a proper DMV registration. This applies to all the vehicle like the towing truck , the trailer and the rig on the trailer.
No DMV registration then they turn you back.
All terrain vehicles are a special case because some states do not register them. In that case you must have the paperwork for the purchase or the registration from who ever approves it use in your state. Like the paperwork for your green sticker.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 08:43 AM
Toad

I have towed my Jeep behind a motor home and my F350 and I had to show the Jeep registration ever time.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 10:42 AM

If you try to use copies of your documents , most of the time you will be turned around. Bring originals.
Lots of off roaders have reported that you must have originals.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 11:12 AM

So you don't think it will be an issue with one person crossing with two vehicles? That's the only problem I would expect. A car is probably seen as different than a dirt bike or a boat. It looks like I'm bringing it across to sell it. And it would appear different if it was behind an RV. In this case it is behind my truck.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-17-2016 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

What do they call cars pulled behind motor homes.....Toad.......sumthin like that? I see them often. I would imagine they would require proof of ownership if they felt inclined to ask for it. That sounds reasonable.
That said.......in the past, they wouldn't allow cars to be pulled or trailered through that were in any kind of disrepair, even when telling them the vehicle was being taken to a favorite mechanic. Customs just figures the POS is on a one way trip....another illegal vehicle on the road.
Of course, there will be variations of this experience, but that's the way it was.

So don' tow or trailer them. If you use this method of transport while crossing into Mexico no one will even notice

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-18-2016 at 09:09 AM

bump

Bob Durrell
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 07:53 PM

I towed an F150 down last year. It was on a car trailer that I towed with my F350. At the border I was asked for the registration for the trailer and the F150. I also had to show that the F150 would start.

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.