Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Property Ownership ?
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 12:32 PM
Property Ownership ?

A friend of a friend asked me if I knew the answer to this question. His wife's father passed away recently. While looking through his estate they realized he had property in Baja California Sur purchased years ago. That's all they know.

The question: Is there a way to look up property ownership at the state level? I am assuming they don't know where it is and I know they have never been to BCS.

Thanks,
Ted

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 02:45 PM

If the transaction was complete and registered it can found in the regional ayunatamiento municipal center but it would help to know the location of the property, and name of holder of scritoro, is it in his name? There will likely be delinquent property tax, fidicomiso fees + fines in Baja or near the coast on mainland and other potential bills and it depends who is named as beneficiary, it would have to be transferred $$$ it could have someone living there which is difficult to resolve.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 03:11 PM

Thanks gnukid, I sent them that advice. They have some more information (the daughter only saw her dad once a year or so as he traveled around the Western Hemisphere). The land is coastal, "acres of land", and is supposedly between La Paz and Loreto (I know big area). He maintained a residence there and according to their aunt went there 2-3 times a year.

They have no idea about a beneficiary or delinquency. I assume I should recommend they find a lawyer as neither speaks Spanish. Recommendations?

And brings me to my own question. If no one is put down as a beneficiary, does it pass down to the other child?

Thanks again

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-21-2016 at 04:52 PM
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 04:58 PM

MexicoTed, Check your U2U - upper right hand corner.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 08:33 PM

The easiest is to just show up like you own it and continue to use it and worry about the details much later.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 12:17 PM

Really, Paul? You're kidding...right?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Really, Paul? You're kidding...right?

I don't think he is. Being there could help clarifying whatever there is. And to discourage squatters and/or looters. Could be some common-law "esposa" living there, retired gringos have been known to do this :) - I'm not sure about Mex law in this situation.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 08:35 PM

When people respond trying to be helpful, they should maybe make sure they have things correct.

A title is not called a "scritoro". The word is escritura.

If the father just died recently, why would there "likely" be delinquent property tax, fidiecomiso fees, etc. There could be, but maybe he was a guy who paid his bills on time.

And why would one not name a beneficiary on their bank trust? What "other child" would it go to? If you donīt name a beneficiary, Iīd bet the bank takes the property.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.