Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: El Taco de Huitzilopochtli - Ensenada
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 12:08 PM
El Taco de Huitzilopochtli - Ensenada

Does anyone know if this restaurant is still there on Calle de las Rosas in Ensenada?

El Taco de Huitzilopochtli

(I still can't pronounce this... lol)

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 01:18 PM

Don't know about the restaurant, but if I recall, the owner passed away a few years back.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 01:30 PM

It was an awesome food experience. First ate there in 2001 with egl, fishin rich, and David E (who claimed it was the finest food in all of Mexico). Aztec and Oaxaca dishes. Open only on weekends.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Don't know about the restaurant, but if I recall, the owner passed away a few years back.

So sad to hear about this, but thanks for the update. If the restaurant IS still there I would imagine it would not be the same.

I remember that this place was very hard to find.... might have to check it out on my next visit to Ensenada and post an update.

Thanks DENNIS

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 04:16 PM

Two weeks ago on a Saturday I took my boat to Ensenada (huge changes are being made improving the road between Tecate and Valle de Guadalupe) to have the motor serviced (http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83356&got...) after droping off the boat we (me and my 14 year old son who by the way loves this Mexican dish) went looking for what I had found on the web (https://www.google.com/search?q=el+taco+de+huitzilopochtli%2...) to be the best place in town for Barbacoa de Borrego (lamb barbacoa): it was ALL web hipe for suckers (like me) to fall for...!!! When the waitress finally came (and that was a long 15-20 minute wait) I asked for the menu and requested "una cabecita entera" (whole lamb's head) to what she replied: "no hay", okay then we'll have "machito" (also know as "pancita": lamb's stomach filled with all the organs meats diced and cooked along with the rest of the lamb)..."no hay", well okay then serve us "chamorro" (shank meat)..."no hay"... OKAY then what @&$*% (not really) DO you have? she replied: "SOLO barbacoa" that is New Zealand packaged and FROZEN lamb stew meat... not even close to what they offer on their Facebbok page (https://www.facebook.com/tacodehuitzilopochtli/?hc_ref=SEARC...)... among other delicacies: Rocky Mountain Oysters" and "Chiles Enogada" (chile rellenos with walnut sauce and pomegranate seeds on top) that's the main photo on their facebook page, this is a REALLY Special dish ONLY served during certain months of the year ending around September (pomegranate season) and only served as a delicay at the best places around... forget about it... "no hay...!!!".

The "salsas" (hot sauces) are a huge compliment to this traditional dish and several are usaually served along with limes, diced onion and cilantro, specially "la salsa borracha" (toasted dry chiles prepared with spices and mixed with pulque)...NOT even close...!!! But I really enjoyed their delicious fresh hand made thick tortillas... EXCELLENT tortillas...!!! But just the tortillas will NOT get me back any time soon or later.

However right around the block along with all the second hand (used stuff) shops there's a bunch of places offering "Barbacoa de Res" (beef barbacoa) that I wouldn't mind trying out the next time in town... just check it out: they ALL are full of people eating "tacos de barbacoa"....

If you like this kind of food (lamb) there's a small hole in the wall in downtown Tj (https://www.google.com/maps/place/TAQUERIA+AQUI+ES+TEXCOCO/@...) called " Aquí es Texcoco" (https://www.yelp.com/biz/aqui-es-texcoco-tijuana the listed website on yelp is not for this place, that other place used to be a good one but no longer is as far as I can say), here they serve the REAL and Traditional Barbacoa de Borrego Texcoco Style cooked in an earth (brick) oven in the ground, using fresh "pencas de maguey" (leaves of maguey).

The best time to come is during the weekend before noon, also served are the traditional "gorditas" (raw thick tortillas) deep fried or cooked on the grill filled with "hitlacoche" (corn smut), "flor de calabaza" (zucchini flowers), "champiñones" (mushrooms), "asientos de chicharrón" (leftovers on the bottom of the pot after cooking cracklings) and of course "queso Oaxaca" (string cheese)...

BUEN PROVECHO NOMADAS...!!!

[Edited on 11-7-2016 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
David E (who claimed it was the finest food in all of Mexico). Aztec and Oaxaca dishes. Open only on weekends.

I get an email from David E. every now and then. He seems to be up 'n running. Probably still writing for "The Peoples Guide To Mexico" upcoming edition.

http://www.peoplesguide.com/mexico/about/david_eidell/

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 07:20 PM

Jeeezo, Carlos. Lucky thing for you the Aztecs didn't eat dog crap.

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Jeeezo, Carlos. Lucky thing for you the Aztecs didn't eat dog crap.

C'mon Dennis... don't tell me you have a soft stomach... the Aztec's didn't: they enjoyed eating "xoloscuintlis" (just like the Tj's soccer team's name and mascot) it was a real delicacy for them.

We just got back from a trip thru central Mexico and had the opportunity of trying agave (maguey) worms (they live inside the leaves of maguey -Acentrocneme Hesperiaris- they're the larvae of a butterfly), "escamoles" (ant larvae that live near maguey or nopal plants -Liometum Apiculatum-) and "chinicuiles" (parasite worms that live in or around the maguey -Hypopta Agavis-) these are the worms you find inside a Mezcal bottle... Talk about great PROTEIN value... and great taste...!!!

Next time you're in Tj go for some "tacos de cabeza"... my favorites are: "ojo". "lengua", "cesos", "cachete" and "paladar"... go ahead and try it, my children and I love it...!!! It's an acquired taste and texture thing, but once you get over it "you'll like it...and you'll be coming for mo' "

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-7-2016 at 09:23 PM

I believe I could lose a lot of weight on the 'Carlosg diet', it sounds, well...disgusting!

Now back to the brisket thread!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  

Next time you're in Tj go for some "tacos de cabeza"... my favorites are: "ojo". "lengua", "cesos", "cachete" and "paladar"... go ahead and try it, my children and I love it...!!! It's an acquired taste and texture thing, but once you get over it "you'll like it...and you'll be coming for mo' "

Had plenty of tacos de cabeza, but only once a delicacy I doubt even you've had the pleasure of. I'll tell you the short story:
Some years back in Ensenada, I would occasionally find myself walking the length of Miramar [Sin] street stopping here and there in cantinas for a beer, and I came to a small hole-in-the wall taco shop. The cook was busy extracting the whole cooked brain from a steaming cow head, so I stopped and watched.
He put the brain in a cutting board and diced up a bowl full of meat and made a quick taco for himself, then offered one to me which was delicious.
While eating I noticed on his table a bowl of what resembled two yellow tennis balls, and I asked him what they were.
"Eyes"...he said, and proceeded to mix them into a bowl of brain. Mixed it up real well. He then made another taco with the slimy mixture and proceeded to eat it....stopped and gave me a weird stare saying, "You want one of these?" His eyes were twinkling with the challenge, so I said, "why hell yes. who wouldn't?"
So...he made it, and I ate it, but I was too full to order another and left to the nearest bar for another Pacifico.
Never again.

itchin 2 go

[*] posted on 11-8-2016 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I believe I could lose a lot of weight on the 'Carlosg diet', it sounds, well...disgusting!

Now back to the brisket thread!

So glad I get to enjoy the best of both 'diets'. Thats the joy of being an adventurous eater, I get to try everything!!

On Saturday in TJ I got to try chapulines in my c-cktail (I've had separate but never together and they were 'not bad'), then come home on Sunday and make some awesome (if I do say so myself) Tri-Tip for a awesome SNF game!

In case you can't tell, I love food!

Carlos, I marked the taco shop on my map and am looking forward to trying. Thanks for the tip!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.