Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cell Phones
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 06:52 PM
Cell Phones

What is the best Cell Ph provider in the states for Mexico?
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 06:53 PM

Tellcell
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 07:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pangamadness  
What is the best Cell Ph provider in the states for Mexico?

Depends on what you want.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

pangamadness
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 02:11 AM

Good coverage in Southern Baja with my US cell phone provider
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 04:09 AM

AT&T
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 06:50 AM

X2 = AT&T

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 08:52 AM

Tmobile. Same network as Telcel. Same network as At&t, only less expensive. Free calling & texting to & from Mexico. Also free data in Mexico.
pangamadness
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2016 at 06:12 AM

Thanks, big help. I currently have Sprint but my employer pays and does not allow use in Mexico. Going to be leaving soon and pay my own, any experience with sprint? Thank you all for the help.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2016 at 09:21 AM

When shopping for a phone carrier for use in the US and mexico, it's important to pay attention to the transmit & receive frequencies of the carrier. In Baja Sur, Telcel and Movistar are the top carriers, and both use the GSM network. Both use the 850 and 1900 frequency bands which are the same frequencies that GSM carriers use in the United States and Canada. AT&T and T-Mobile cell phones, since they use GSM, are therefore compatible in Mexico. Verizon and Sprint have limited reception as they use CDMA.

If you want to know more technical info, read this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp
This article is a little dated (2015) but most of the info is still applicable.

If you're in an area that has LTE coverage, it's an entirely different monster - but most of us go to areas that only have 2G and 3G reception.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2016 at 09:53 AM

...It's probable that the CDMA network will eventually be phased-out, but it's still being used by Verizon and Sprint. However, both those carriers use GMA for limited global roaming, now. For this reason, for global cell phone use, choosing a carrier that only uses GMA is probably the better choice. GMA is currently the world standard.

For Sprint, it looks like they only offer 2G service in Mexico. This may be a huge disappointment to you, especially if you need data service.

Here's a recent article that compares networks that has pretty good, basic info: http://www.androidcentral.com/international-roaming

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.