Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Window 10 to Window 7 files
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 11:44 AM
Window 10 to Window 7 files

I traced a couple of routes on Google Earth on my Windows 10 Desktop PC then converted them to GPX files in GPS Visualizer. They all show up and work fine on my Windows 10 Desktop PC.

When I copy them to a memory stick and load them into my Windows 7 laptop they don't work. They display as a blank page in the file instead of the blue and white ball symbol for a GE file and MM for a GPX file. I tried to email them as an attachment with the same results.

When I look at the files on the memory stick on the Windows 10 desk top they look OK. But not on the Windows 7 Laptop.

Is Windows 7 not able to read some Windows 10 files?
mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 01:22 PM

Maybe your W7 laptop is not making the file association. Have your tried a right click>open with>GE, and choose the "always open with option"?
I'm sure you already know that .gpx is a widely used universal GPS file format, the native GE file format is .kml and .kmz. The difference between the two is that .kmz is a more compressed format than .kml.

Is the GE on the laptop up to date?
What happens if you try and open the .kml (or .kmz) version on the laptop?
What is "MM"?

I think this is more a software or file association issue, not an OS issue per say. Any .gpx, .kml, .kmz, .gdb (older Garmin) should behave the same regardless of W7 or W10.

Bruce
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 02:41 PM

Thanks Bruce that was it. I downloaded the latest version of GE and all is well. I also downloaded Memory Map I'm not sure it made a difference or not. MM is Memory Map and that is the symbal I get when I convert a GE trail to GPX. I did not have MM in my Laptop.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.