Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loncheria La Mision, La Fonda del Rio's, a P.N. restaurant
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 12:35 PM
Loncheria La Mision, La Fonda del Rio's, a P.N. restaurant

Loncheria La Mision-really delicious huevos rancheros and equally good enchiladas. The huevos rancheros were done on a crispy corn tortilla. Well-simmered ranchero sauce that was muy picante! Included rice, beans, slices of avo and tortillas. Two breakfasts, 3 beers=10.00US.

La Fonda del Rio's- this is a new competitor to the new owners at La Fonda. Prices are pretty high-the lobster feast is listed at 28.00US. We had the seafood relleno plate and the pescado del dia. I opted for lenguado empanizado. Both came with soup and salad. Tortilla soup was XLNT, NE-style clam chowder also very good....not too thickened with cornstarch. Very fresh salads. Relleno was good with langosta, camarone y pescado but unusual in that there was no queso. Also no batter dipped but that is good in our book. The pepper seemed like a large pasilla that we felt was slightly underdone. Delicious relleno sauce! Lenguado plate came with 4 huge pieces of fish (seriously, all were 4x4x1!) and a delicious, perfectly sauteed combo of spinach, tomatos and onions. Spanish rice has some kind of tomatillo/cilantro sauce...pretty gourmet all around. Meals were about 12.00US each. Menu not as extensive as the original La Fonda (who's is?) but features steaks, ribs (highly recommended, according to "regulars") and mariscos, as well as a quail feast. Tortillas being made on site. Service was almost uncomfortably good; someone was checking on us about every five minutes. No credit cards for another two weeks. That almost stopped us but Ignacio extended his own credit (honor system) so we did not have to hit an ATM in Rosarito. Paid him later.

Pto. Nuevo Resaurant- we hit the one with the hideous orange streaks of paint on the inside on the southernmost street that is perpindicular to the coast. Just up from the fancy Ortega's on the bluff. Six halves (chiquitas), unlimited beans, rice, guac, tortillas, and one margarita for 15.00US. Whether on purpose or by accident, THE COOK FINALLY DID NOT OVERCOOK THEM BAJA-STYLE. Very common to have them overcooked in P.N. Discovered that butter-dipping these oil-fried bugs is not necessary......just limon and sal was much better.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 12:39 PM

Where is La Fonda del Rio?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 01:51 PM

Thanks for the reviews!

Hopefully all the smart people will start dining at Rio's. That will leave more room at the bar at La Fonda for the rest of us! :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Where is La Fonda del Rio?

Park on the road in front of the Hotel Las Misiones or drive down into the tight parking area just to the left of the H. L. M. Well, tight if you drive an F-350 with a Lance.

Big lettering on the building, La Fonda del Rio's.
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 2-15-2005 at 09:47 PM
Elgatoloco

Don't miss del rios. Ate dinner there tonight Great food and service and a view to die for .The ribs were great and served with an ear of grilled corn . I also had the clam chowder too much potatoes for me but great flavor and thick not runny . The salad was cold and crisp. Our friends had the sea bass,huge portions, and muy tasty. We shared 2 desserts, Mud pie and flan, mmmmmmm.Ok by the way they do have an early bird menu if you can come during the week. This is going to be my new bestfriend if you know what I mean, k:spingrin::yes::tumble::bounce:

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2005 at 06:32 PM

Keri

We will give it a go. My folks have been there. We hope to be down some day soon? Mid week, if we can. Weather permitting. :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

John Lee

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 08:57 AM

A special thanks to Tim for the La Fonda Del Rio gift certificate that he won in the raffle but could not use. Tim, we put it to good use. We shared a Lobster feast and, contrary to what someone else wrote, (don?t remember who now) our bugs were as big as what anyone else serves in the area. Everything was good. Their dinner salads are superior to La Fonda and the black bean soup is on par. Not sure I like Del Rio?s rice that much though, but the service was awesome and Del Rio?s has a great location and view.

We had drinks at Del Rio's on the previous day and they were decent. Another alternative to parking on the highway would be to drive through the Allistos arch and park down near the beach. It is just a short walk up to Del Rios. In fact, a closer walk than parking on the free road. I will make Del Rio's a must visit whenever I am in the area. They were fairly crowded the night we went there (Sunday night) - so it look s like business is going good for them. They deserve it.

[Edited on 4-26-2005 by John Lee]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 06:00 PM
Del Rio's at La Fonda

That was me...
A couple weeks ago we ate there (with TheSquarecircle and others)... It was nice, but expecting a big 'bug' for the big price, we got three tiny lobsters (6 halves) each, and I would have prefered they informed me of that (for the big price), so I could order something else.

Last Friday we ate at Chela's in Puerto Nuevo, which is always good... and for $12 the medium lobster with guacamole, chips, rice, beans, soup, tortillas... was all we could eat. The margies and pena coladas were really good too. Doug turned me onto Chela's last year... When you enter Puerto Nuevo off Mex. 1, turn left on the first side street (south)... Chela's is almost at the end of the block, on the right, on the third floor (great view).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Lee

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 07:27 PM

David,

I ate at Chela's last Friday and it was very good. We also sat on the 3rd floor (the only floor for them righht?). Good view from way up there.

There is another place in Puerto Nueveo that I like alot. Perhaps someone can help me with the name? It is on the main drag one of the first few places on your left as you enter the Village. They have an ATM inside the place. Their Tortilla Soup is quite good and the drinks are decent. Good service too - but then I have never been to a place in the Village with crappy service. If I had to give them one compliment, they do usually work hard to serve you. At least that has always been my experience there - and what keeps me going back. Seemingly one of the benefits of having so many restaurants in one place (competition)

Someone should write a review book "I Ate at Every Restauruant in Lobster Village". That would get my attention!!! And it would be quite a feat. How many are there in the village? At least 50 or 60 right?
CocoLoco

[*] posted on 5-13-2006 at 04:28 PM

Hi Nomads

I am glad someone posted about Loncheria La Mision. My girlfriend and I had an absolutely delicious breakfast of Huevos Rancheros and Huevos a la Mexicana there one morning. It is off the beaten path a couple miles east on the road from the La Mision beach in the quiet little town of La Mision. A great place to get a slice of Mexican life. Check it out!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.