BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Ever encounter an unusual checkpoint?
queseyo

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 05:24 PM

OK maybe not so unusual but memorable...kinda like some first timers.
Probably Spring Break of 1972 two college buddies and I left the Santa Barbara Rugby Tourney in the afternoon. Having played, drank and sang our hearts out and needing some R&R, I convinced them we would do well to drive to San Felipe and camp on the beach, drink cheap beers and eat lots of cheap tacos and shrimp. We loaded sleeping bags and a small cooler into my my '63 convertible VW, top down and took off.
Anyway with our late start but spurred on by a variety of stimulants and intoxicants we found our way to the one and only checkpoint during the wee hours of the morning....totally unexpected. We all had made numerous trips to Hussongs but had never encountered a military checkpoint. So... in the distance we spied what appeared to be a campfire in the road, we slowed cautiously, not sure what we were getting into, and into the light and the middle of the road walked a couple of fully armed soldiers, several others huddled around a 55 gal drum candle. I spoke Spanish, my buddies were pie-eyed, no doubt we all had sobering rushes of adrenaline. The few obligatory questions and responses and we got the heck down the road.."what the **** was that?"
End of story, we roll off the pavement into SF, find our way to a left hand turn to the beach in town, roll out the sleeping bags and fall quickly to sleep only to be awakened pre-dawn by fishermen dragging their boats to the water, dogs sniffing our faces..... what's for breakfast, I'm hungry....

"Just remember; we're all here because we're not all there." Unknown Nomad
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-29-2019 at 07:33 PM

About 20 years ago. A buddy and I were sitting on the tailgate of my truck one night on the beach drinking beer. It was pretty dark but we could see a group of guys approaching us a couple hundred yards away. As they got closer they broke up into 2 small groups and started approaching from either side. Being not sure who they were and knowing we were out numbered we decided it best to get the heck out of there. We jumped in the cab, started the truck and put it in drive. We were immediately greeted by the unmistakable sound of machine gun fire. Threw the truck in park and we both bailed out into the sand. Ended up being a military patrol on foot. After they interrogated us and searched the truck, they were friendly enough. Upon them leaving, I was happy to find no bullet holes in my truck. They were kind enough to fire warning shots. I think my buddy had a different odor the rest of the night. Definitely unforgettable!
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2019 at 07:44 AM

One week after Odile in 2014 I did run into a check point between Guerrero Negro and Viscaino. A few vehicle, mostly Federal Police blocked the highway, and a couple officers approached my F350 service truck. The truck was loaded with supplies and equipment, I had almost no room for myself.
One guy check the VIN thru the windshield, while the other started to talk to me. He asked me where I was going, and if I know that I was speeding, extremely fast. I glanced over to the nav system and noticed my speed, almost 150km/h.
He asked me again, what I am doing and where to. The only thing I could say with my fearful voice: driving to La Paz to help.
He looked at me for a moment, and said: stop driving so fast, you will kill yourself - and waved me trough......
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2019 at 08:15 AM

One-time about 20 years ago I decided to drive out to Mag Bay to check out maybe kayak fishing in the mangroves. I can't remember what town I was in but I took a dirt road down to the water. There was a whale watching building that's was closed. A military truck pulled up and about 10 guys got out and so did a woman. They all stood guard while the guy in charge was making out with her. They let us take some pictures with them. One of the guys used our camera to take our picture. All the while the guy in charge and the woman were behind the building. When they finally came out they all loaded up and drove away. Waving as they left.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 9-30-2019 at 09:09 AM

Up into the Sierra Madre at the Yecora turn off Pemex I was approached by a plain clothed guy who showed me a ID of some sort. He checked my visa, Mex insurance, car permit, Calif drivers license, Calif registration, and Calif auto ins. All very carefully recorded. This is as some may know is in the middle 'God's Middle Finger' country on Mex16, on the way to Copper Canyon.
BTW I am thinking I am done with Baja and returning to my haunts in the mountains. The canyon, river, and falls are calling me and my rod.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.