Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican health insurance
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 04:44 PM
Mexican health insurance

Does anyone have information on Mexican health insurance ? Not very good here in the USA , costs are really high for us . Could it be used as backup?

Thanks everyone.

Ps . Please don't make this a argument I'm just looking for folks that have direct information
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 05:23 PM

Very good question, I will be following for sure..
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 07:10 PM

2 different public insurance options available - IMSS and ISSTE
many many private health insurance options
most affluent Mexicans have private insurance

I signed up for IMSS recently
some paperwork, simple health check, some bureaucracy, a lot of time (3 months)

your yearly fees depend on age
I am 70 and paid about $10,500 pesos

last year's fee structure:
AGE 40-49 $4700 50-59 $6000 60-69 $8700 70-79 $9050 80 plus $9100

Harald Pietschmann
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 07:33 PM

What Harald said. His numbers in the last line are pesos, so it's not expensive.

This is not like Medicare. Quality varies from horrible to acceptable, depending on the hospital. The same is true for Seguro Popular. Long waiting times in either system.

As a backup for what - for when you can't make it to San Diego? Maybe...

Private Mex insurance is a different creature.
Perceburzr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 07:46 PM

Harald , are the prices per month or per year ?
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 07:52 PM

Any info on the workings of the private insurance and the prices?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Perceburzr  
Harald , are the prices per month or per year ?

yup - per year

pretty much all doctors working at the public hospitals also have a private practice
about $600 pesos for one hour of supreme care
dentists won't keep you in the chair any longer than needed
about $600 per visit
dermatologists and proctologists are around $1,000 per visit
x-rays $700 pesos
and so on

only to show that even without insurance you will not pay much for good care

from experience - if your illness requires really good care, hop in a plane and go to Guadalajara or CDMX. Superb doctors and clinics smaller cities won't offer
even with the plane ticket you will pay less than you would pay per month in the US

Harald Pietschmann
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
...from experience - if your illness requires really good care, hop in a plane and go to Guadalajara or CDMX.
Or Culiacán. Not joking, I've heard that all that narco money has paid for some very high quality medical infrastructure. :wow:

Especially good care for gunshot wounds! :lol:

Not knowing your financial situation, I would just pay for the small stuff out of pocket and get private insurance that covers the big stuff in Mexico.

Before I became Medicare eligible, I used Vumi insurance through a broker in the Phoenix area. I alternated between 5k and 10k deductible and paid about 300.00US/month at age 64. I never did have to use it, so I cant comment on how or if they paid claims. This did also cover emergency treatments in the US and other parts of the world.

This is the broker I went through.

https://www.asaincor.com/about-us

I met Alonso and his wife several times, over the years, and they seemed very trustworthy. When my policy began to offer paid-for health check-ups, they made sure to let me know.

This subject has been discussed before. My take is always that if you want to chance ISSSTE or Seguro Popular, go to the hospitals that take it and check them out. They were pretty scary in my area.
geraldalexander7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 06:41 AM

Are insurance. Options above dependant on immigration status?
Tourist visa, temp resident, perm resident etc?

Facebook.com/Gerald Beltran
Casas & Condos for rent in La Paz...$100US per/month.....Daily & weekly rates also.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 06:47 AM

need a CURP number for the public health insurance
private insurances do not ask for anything but your money

Harald Pietschmann
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by geraldalexander7  
Are insurance. Options above dependant on immigration status?
Tourist visa, temp resident, perm resident etc?

For public system like IMSS or Seguro Popular you need RT/RP. Tourists FMM won't do.

There is a federal law that requires Mex hospitals to "stabilize" a patient in critical condition regardless of his status, but don't expect them to do much. Might not do anything at all, just put you in a bed. Small public/IMSS hospitals are scary.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 10:19 AM

Small public/IMSS hospitals are wonderful
they save your life
and they really care for you
spend time with you
hold your hand if needed

if you prefer lotsa chrome and a $30,000 bill - you know where to get that

Harald Pietschmann
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Small public/IMSS hospitals are wonderful
they save your life
and they really care for you
spend time with you
hold your hand if needed

if you prefer lotsa chrome and a $30,000 bill - you know where to get that

IMSS must be really different in Baja vs Mainland? We had IMSS for 10 years (wife got it for the family free thru work) and it sucked. I wouldn´t send my dog to IMSS. If its all you can afford I guess its better than nothing but not much.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 01:50 PM

Here is my take. We are now Mexican citizens and have seguro popular which costs $2,000 pesos a year.

For us it works well because the clinic in san ignacio is walk-in, they see me once a month to test blood sugar level and I get insulin. Usually in and out within an hour.

There are 2 doctors and if I wanted, I could get two other medications as well, but they are pills and I just have them filled in the States and have someone bring down 3 months supply at a time, through our American health insurance.

I love seguro popular but their hospital in santa rosalia was terrible when Les had heart issues. I am sure it depends on where you live and most assuredly La Paz is pretty awesome. I once went for x-rays and it was done on the same day. Saw a doctor on the same day. Got meds on the same day.

I am in san diego right now and the first available appt. to find out about my baby sister's cancer test results is in 2 weeks. First class medical PPO health insurance.

Really?

ughhhhhhhhhhh

ughhhhhhhhh

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

IMSS must be really different in Baja vs Mainland? We had IMSS for 10 years (wife got it for the family free thru work) and it sucked. I wouldn´t send my dog to IMSS.

It's different from town to town. The tendency is, the smaller - the worse. I remember horrible story (from another forum), IMSS in a town 60 miles from Mexico city, can't find it now. Not a single monitor in ICU room. Ward cleaned once a day, no matter what. Cracked window frames. Nurses impossible to get to do anything when you need.
Routine check-ups and Rx refills is one thing, hospital care is another.

[Edited on 10-23-2019 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2019 at 05:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

I am in san diego right now and the first available appt. to find out about my baby sister's cancer test results is in 2 weeks. First class medical PPO health insurance.

Really?

I wonder how long it would've taken getting biopsy done and results confirmed, through IMSS. That is - if they were treating people with preexisting cancers. Alas, they don't.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2019 at 03:48 PM

"Pre-existing" in insurance always means - before enrollment. Calling all cancers pre-existing would be a broad statement that has certain academic merits though not interesting for insurance companies. In any healthy body there are cancer cells, being created all the time and destroyed by healthy immune system. It becomes a disease when malignant cells multiply too fast for immune system to fight it, and then it grows and manifest itself in symptoms - blood markers, tumors etc. If this happened before you enrolled, IMSS won't treat it.

American and Canadian system where the results must be handed out to you by a doctor and thus require an appointment for this sole purpose - lame, I agree. But then, many patients are not much educated either, they can't interpret the results.

IMSS have quite a few pre-existing conditions that are not covered, some - forever, some - for the first 1-2 years.

I saw IMSS hospital that BajaBlanca mentioned - it is terrible. Guerrero Negro hospital isn't any better. And there is nothing else until Loreto hospital, which I don't know about. Gringos in Kino Bay, when with a serious problem, are not wasting time on IMSS clinics and public hospitals and are trying to get to private SIMA Hermosillo instead, a long drive. Very expensive hospital but they do a good job. Not to say that there are no good IMSS or public hospitals - probably there are somewhere.

[Edited on 10-23-2019 by Alm]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-24-2019 at 07:07 AM

"IMSS have quite a few pre-existing conditions that are not covered, some - forever, some - for the first 1-2 years."

This is a far cry from your claim stating that Alm says ALL pre-existing conditions are not covered in Mexico. His is a very valid statement.

You, on the other hand, have made serious, unsubstantiated claims about his mental condition........in your first couple of posts on the board?

I think his assessments of the Mexican health system are accurate, as I have seen facilities in the Guaymas and Hermosillo areas of the mainland.

Tell us what facilities you have been through in Mexico.

ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2019 at 12:04 PM

I had Mexican private health insurance for several years. About US$1700 a year - maybe $2000 deductible and I think about $100,000 coverage. A pretty good deal. Never had to use it.

#1 issue in Mexico, IMO, is to have a super good insurance agent who will advocate for you. Find a good one, make them your friend, and count on them when you need help with the system.

Ask around locally for whom you should buy from. I purchased from an old dog of a lady - but everyone - and I mean everyone - swears by her. And after using her services for all my insurances for six years - car, house, health, moto, etc - she is great. And I consider her a friend.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-24-2019 at 05:51 PM

Just a Idea of Doctor Charges in small towns. Two weeks ago rushed young lady to doctor office. Toxic shock from cleaning detergent Lungs on fire. Threw her in truck drove 6 blocks to Doctor at 5pm Of course door closed. Called number on Door he lives next door he opened. Told him open up he did. At that point she was dying turning blue 3 hours doctor and wife tend to her. Touch and go if she was gonna make it 4 shots, breather ,intense work. By 11pm he said transport her to Ensenada she is sable and. now resting. I told doc to wait so I could go home and find her ID. Took 30min to get back. Doc says your choice to transport or your house. As rescue truck long bumpy ride to Ensenada she may wake up and hell break lose. Total Doctor bill 4 shots 2 bottles pills and inhaler intensive care 40.00 dl. Rescue truck shows up 200.00 to transport to Ensenada. Doctor and me decide let rescue truck take her home. If she has wakes up in trouble call rescue. Charge to transport and carry her second story 5.00 dl Of course I did not pay those fees. I paid them a good amount 100.00 tip to rescue driver to be on standby whole night if I call. Long story short she is fine lucky to be here. Young doctor kept his cool did right we do have Imss office here. Since she was dying by the min that office was not a good idea as things don't happen fast. Means slow service just to get in and chance no one on duty.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.