Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: requirements for buying vehicles in Baja
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 11:47 AM
requirements for buying vehicles in Baja

I'm into old Land Cruisers and Defenders. In the US we can only import trucks that are 25 years old or older while the threshold in Canada and Mexico is 15 years. I daydream about buying a 15 yr old Land Cruiser 70 series troopy or Defender 110, keeping it registered in Baja with MX plates, and driving it all over the Western US with a couple of trips back to Baja each year.

What are the requirements to purchase a car in Baja? Do I need to establish temporary or permanent residency status first? What challenges would I run into? ...am I missing something that makes this idea ridiculous?
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 12:04 PM

I believe a Mexican DL is required, heard that is not that difficult but would stand to reason you would need some sort of residence for that.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 12:36 PM

answer...

DSCF3891.JPG - 151kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 01:06 PM

You will have to find a Land Cruiser 70 series troopy or Defender 110 in Mexico.
Importing from the US or other countries to Mexico is almost impossible.
There used to be some ways to do it - but no longer.

However, you can drive any foreign plated vehicle as long as you want in Baja. provided you have proper insurance.
Driving and using it on mainland Mexico will require a TIP (temporary import permit). procedure s well explained on Google.

Harald Pietschmann
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 01:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
answer...

And to get a drivers license the list gets longer.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 01:46 PM

money …~850pesos
passport and copies
resident card and copies
first time... an easy test after that no test
picture taken at office...money

edit: oh yea over 65 you need a medical cert
150 pesos...hospital will give you that
1 hour

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
You will have to find a Land Cruiser 70 series troopy or Defender 110 in Mexico.
Importing from the US or other countries to Mexico is almost impossible.
There used to be some ways to do it - but no longer.

This is good info to know. I have multiple connections purchasing trucks in Europe and could have them find a 15 year old specimen but it would be useless if I can't import into Mexico.

I like to explore remote dirt tracks and beaches.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 11:10 PM

You can't import any vehicle into Mexico unless it was manufactured in Canada, the US, or Mexico.
And yes, you need to have residency status to register a car and get plates in Mexico. Probably, for that matter, in almost every country.

[Edited on 10-28-2019 by surabi]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2019 at 11:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
money …~850pesos
passport and copies
resident card and copies
first time... an easy test after that no test
picture taken at office...money

edit: oh yea over 65 you need a medical cert
150 pesos...hospital will give you that
1 hour

I never had to take any test. If you show a valid driver's license from the US or Canada, they just issued a Mexican drivers's license with no test. Was actually the most stress-free bureaucracy I ever encountered in Mexico- was in and out of the office in 15 minutes, Mexican drivers license in hand. May vary depending on which state, though.

[Edited on 10-27-2019 by Bob and Susan]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-28-2019 at 12:59 PM

thank you Bob and Susan for info needing Med Cert witch the local DMV office never said I need when this question asked. The local public heath office gave the the Med cert for 1.25DL. Only problem local Dmv office for two weeks now . Does not have driver lic cards to print gotta love Mexico
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2019 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by matthew_mangus  
I'm into old Land Cruisers and Defenders. In the US we can only import trucks that are 25 years old or older while the threshold in Canada and Mexico is 15 years. I daydream about buying a 15 yr old Land Cruiser 70 series troopy or Defender 110, keeping it registered in Baja with MX plates, and driving it all over the Western US with a couple of trips back to Baja each year.

What are the requirements to purchase a car in Baja? Do I need to establish temporary or permanent residency status first? What challenges would I run into? ...am I missing something that makes this idea ridiculous?

Regarding the 70 series...Are you wanting to import a 70 into Mexico from Japan/other country or buy it off the street in Mexico? For what it's worth, I've been researching almost the same thing. Driver's license and purchasing a Land Cruiser in Baja. Everything about the DL is up above. However, in a year of looking for Land Cruisers in Baja, I've never ever seen a 70. Some 80's/60's but no 70's. A few UZJ100's. Good luck! It's fun looking.

Also you'll need to research the whole Anapromex vs National plates etc....That's fun.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-28-2019 at 03:12 PM

why does the truck have to have MEX plates?
Does it improve the adventure feeling?

My 4x4s work well with US plates

Harald Pietschmann
matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  

Regarding the 70 series...Are you wanting to import a 70 into Mexico from Japan/other country or buy it off the street in Mexico? For what it's worth, I've been researching almost the same thing.

Also you'll need to research the whole Anapromex vs National plates etc....That's fun.

I was wanting to import a vehicle from Japan or Europe. Looks like that may be extremely difficult. I guess if it was easy, there'd already be folks doing what I'm dreaming about.

Thanks for the tip on the Anapromex topic. More research to do.

matthew_mangus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 11:04 AM

The point is to import and use a truck that isn't available in the US and can't be brought into the country otherwise.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 11:37 AM

The point is to import and use a truck that isn't available in the US and can't be brought into the country otherwise.

land rovers and land cruisers have barely changed in over 40 years. buy an old one, and fix it up with all the money and time you will save by not trying to buy/title one in mexico.

i once owned a 1973 land rover. it was fun for short trips locally. but long highway trips were brutal, and caused hearing damage :lol::lol:

i now prefer later-model cars with comfy suspensions, air-conditioning, and cars that do not require hearing protection at highway speeds :lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Mr. Bills
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2019 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

i now prefer later-model cars with comfy suspensions, air-conditioning, and cars that do not require hearing protection at highway speeds :lol::lol:

Then you will be quite comfortable should you ever actually visit Baja.
greasecoyote

[*] posted on 12-3-2019 at 08:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  

Regarding the 70 series...Are you wanting to import a 70 into Mexico from Japan/other country or buy it off the street in Mexico? For what it's worth, I've been researching almost the same thing. Driver's license and purchasing a Land Cruiser in Baja. Everything about the DL is up above. However, in a year of looking for Land Cruisers in Baja, I've never ever seen a 70. Some 80's/60's but no 70's. A few UZJ100's. Good luck! It's fun looking.

Toyota had no official presence in Mexico until fairly recently when Japan and Mexico signed a free trade agreement even though their cars were extremely popular, acquired used, from the U.S. So you won't find a 70 series because they weren't sold in Mexico (or the U.S.), unlike Central and South America, where they have been sold for decades and are everywhere.

I've heard Mexico allows you to import vehicles over 25 years old, from anywhere, as it falls under a different regime as a "collectible" and isn't as restricted as importing a "normal" car, but that doesn't do you any good since the U.S. will also allow you to import a vehicle that's over 25 years old.

I also believe vehicle registration in Mexico is much more onerous than it is in the U.S., there's few benefits to having a Mexican license plate if you can register your cars in the U.S. instead. There are taxes to be paid to federal, state and local governments, annual inspections, which iirc can be waived with a "fee," license plates that expire and have to be replaced (for a fee), long waits at slow and confusing government offices, et. al. Contrast that with U.S. states like Arizona where you can get a 5 year registration for a few dollars a year or South Dakota which allows you to handle the entire process remotely by mail, even if you're not a resident.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-4-2019 at 02:55 PM

Also Mex plates no smog ck. Ins both countries cheap. Reg cheap too not like rip off Calif.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.