Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Latest on safety and road conditions San Diego to Cabo
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Nice, but why did the OP pick a town named V. Guerrero? Even the website says that place is in San Quintín at the top. Just want to know what attracted him to that town.

Here is the address:

Address: Carretera Transpeninsular 780 Km. 172.6, 22920
Vicente Guerrero, B.C., Mexico
You visited in October

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 02:43 PM

Yes Zac, I know where it is...
My question is to gkuck as to how did Vicente Guerrero "pop up" on his planning radar. It is a curiosity question.

I've already answered the question...there is a nice, comfortable hotel there that has a good restaurant. It's right on the highway and you can make reservations online. Didn't realize I had to connect the dots for you:lol:

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Nice, but why did the OP pick a town named V. Guerrero? Even the website says that place is in San Quintín at the top. Just want to know what attracted him to that town.

Here is the address:

Address: Carretera Transpeninsular 780 Km. 172.6, 22920
Vicente Guerrero, B.C., Mexico
You visited in October

Here is the web page ("Hotel in San Quintín"):

Yes David, the hotel is located on the north side of San Quintin....:light: hence one could say it's a San Quintin hotel.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 03:52 PM

Why don’t you two get a room and continue your pedantic flirtation privately

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 10:18 AM

Instead of Vicente Guerrero, go to Cielito Lindo hotel on the outskirts of San Quintin. Old Baja Style restaurant, bar, rooms, beachcombing when you get there or in the morning. And your intention for whale watching would be best at the end of your trip, out of Guerrero Negro (still early in the season, whales stop there first).
gkuck

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 01:38 PM

Hey David... While we've driven only as far as La Bufadora many times and have cruised/flown to Cabo and driven up to La Paz, we have never been anywhere in between. And before the wealth of information I have received from all of you, my only logic was to trying and space out the drive to make it easier on the family. Not knowing these places, I was just looking for decent looking hotels on Expedia/Hotels.com, etc. Based on the information you've shared, I'm now reevaluating our lodging options. Thanks again!
gkuck

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 01:43 PM

Oh and BajaBoy is correct. That is the exact hotel that popped up and looked like a decent place to stay.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 02:49 PM

Welcome to the land of Bajanomad, gkuck!

whale watching as in california gray whales or whale sharks??

for California gray whales, you should go to guerrero negro with whale magic tours (Shari) or the san ignacio lagoon Antonio's). I have never been to Mag Bay, but that is another option.

El Rosario has the Baja Cactus hotel and it also has Mama Espinoza's restaurant. Everyone has to see this place at least once because it is loaded with knickknacks. It has some really interesting artifacts!

We came halfway down highway 1 last month and there were almost no potholes. Even Catavina was great.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 04:32 PM

I did the run you originally specified just a few weeks ago. Roads are far better than in previous years, but still require that you pay close attention to the shoulder of the road and you WILL be tired when you get to GN - but that is okay, it is not a particularly interesting town (sorry!), though the drive there through the desert is fascinating.

Loreto, super nice town, be sure to visit the plaza and malecon. La Paz is a good place to base yourself and just run down to Todos Santos (too California artsy), Cabo and San Jose for a day.

La Paz has a great malecon and is just a nice place for walking - some great and simple real Mexican restaurants - not on the malecon.

It's a wonderful drive, drive in daylight even if it means getting up and having breakfast very early. There are LOTS of wonderful surprises out there.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 04:43 PM

In La Paz...

Be sure to eat at Taco Fish La Paz (Google Earth will find it for you), but be careful of the pickled red onions. I like hot - I had steam coming out of my ears. My friend thought I might be having heart trouble... BUT, fantastic food at local prices. ALSO check Asadero Rancho Viejo - on the same street, but closer to the malecon - also on Google Earth. GREAT food. Local prices, local people. At both places you might be the only non-local person there. But the crowds of people will tell you that you are at the right place. You'll eat like a king for peanuts.

Above recommendations ONLY if you really like street tacos. Yummy!

[Edited on 12-14-2019 by RocketJSquirrel]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gkuck  
Hey David... While we've driven only as far as La Bufadora many times and have cruised/flown to Cabo and driven up to La Paz, we have never been anywhere in between. And before the wealth of information I have received from all of you, my only logic was to trying and space out the drive to make it easier on the family. Not knowing these places, I was just looking for decent looking hotels on Expedia/Hotels.com, etc. Based on the information you've shared, I'm now reevaluating our lodging options. Thanks again!

Thanks for getting back to us on Nomad...
Don't feel you have to plan the trip so closely. You may find you want to go further or may want to stop sooner, or stay longer. Baja is that way.

Just know that there is a bit of a void between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro with few gas stations and few motels. The side trip to L.A. Bay is 40 paved miles east of this section and there you will find many motels, campos, two gas stations, markets, and yummy fish tacos. So, at El Rosario (Km. 57) some 230 miles/ 5-6 hours south of the border, top you gas tank (honest station owned by a Nomad) and stay the night (Baja Cactus Motel) if it is near 3 pm. The next hotel is 76 miles south at Cataviña and may not have vacancies (Hotel Mision Cataviña).

At the state border, near Guerrero Negro, 200+ miles (4 hrs.) from El Rosario, you lose an hour as you go into Mountain Time Zone. Just want you to avoid surprises!

The Baja highway goes narrow at Km. 0, the south side of San Quintín. So, be on your toes!

DSCF0034 copy.jpg - 26kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-14-2019 at 05:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
In La Paz...

Be sure to eat at Taco Fish La Paz (Google Earth will find it for you), but be careful of the pickled red onions. I like hot - I had steam coming out of my ears. My friend thought I might be having heart trouble... BUT, fantastic food at local prices. ALSO check Asadero Rancho Viejo - on the same street, but closer to the malecon - also on Google Earth. GREAT food. Local prices, local people. At both places you might be the only non-local person there. But the crowds of people will tell you that you are at the right place. You'll eat like a king for peanuts.

Above recommendations ONLY if you really like street tacos. Yummy!
[Edited on 12-14-2019 by RocketJSquirrel]

Don’t miss out on the smoked marlin empanadas at mc-fishers. Fish tacos at el estadio. Sunset c-cktails on rooftop deck at harker board on malecon.

Hotel catedral looks like nice place, new and contemporary, has a cool rooftop pool and bar.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.