Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Backcountry Navigator downlaod ? computer
caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 12:35 PM
Backcountry Navigator downlaod ? computer

Ok everyone, I'm trying to set up my nav/ info system based on a surface pro. I have bought an external GPS receiver / antenna that plugs into the laptop (VFAN) I'm trying to set it up right now. But in the mean time - is my best option to load BackCountry Navigator - and use it as my baja maps background (I tried GAIA in the past -- in the USA - and it sucked - never did keep my location updated - that was probably a crappy tablet, but also neverf showed minor map details like Lake Huron - according to GAIA, there was a land border between eastern Michigan and Canada - the lake apparently is a hoax!

anyway just looking for a good setup to keep track of where I am ,. and where I'm going - not planning on much offroad for this trip.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 01:47 PM

with a Garmin you would get the needed laptop software for free (Base Camp)

you could use Google Earth satellite images offline - work fine with any receiver

Harald Pietschmann
caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 06:57 PM

I do have a couple of Garmins, but I was hoping to use this little magnet mount antenna / reciever and make it all one integrated unit. However, so far we are having issues with compatability. and I can tell you for whatever reason BN completely locked up my screen, and jacked up my computer. Still trying to get it back to where it was before I tried to download BN maps - which was a disaster (windows 10 )
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 07:11 PM

Consider myself a semi-pro at BCN.

I've only used it on my Samsung phones and tab. It works beautifully there. It's not supported on Apple and not sure about Windows (doubtful).

I have 100Gb of satellite map tiles downloaded to all devices. As you are driving down any trail or road it shows an HD version of what you'd get on Google Earth, but you see your vehicle (truck, bike, boat) moving.

BCN is the best though.

[Edited on 12-14-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

caj13
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2019 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Consider myself a semi-pro at BCN.

I've only used it on my Samsung phones and tab. It works beautifully there. It's not supported on Apple and not sure about Windows (doubtful).

I have 100G of satellite map tiles downloaded to all devices. As you are driving down any trail or road it shows an HD version of what you'd get on Google Earth, but you see your vehicle (truck, bike, boat) moving.

BCN is the best though.

[Edited on 12-14-2019 by JZ]

That's why I went with BCN because of your recommendation. It says the app works with windows 10 - maybe it does, but not for me! and worse than not working, it appears to have effed up my computer!

was hoping I could make it work in windows because I have a fairly complex data sheet that gets filled out in the field during surveys, including GPS location, photos, etc, which later auto loads onto a huge data base when back in the lab. The last piece i am hoping for is navigation that interacts. so far, thats been elusive, and hand entering gps data is pretty time intensive - but more importantly - really prone to error, I need to find a way to automate it, and make it automatically populate the data table.

[Edited on 12-14-2019 by caj13]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.