BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: question about November travel
ADVseeker

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 06:04 PM

Maderita thanks for the link i will check her out and the web site looks really nice, i know this would be a highlight for her, shes been wanting to go ride somewhere and what better place and a beach in baja!

Mtgoat666 I'd choose covid-19 over dengue but im in a fairly low risk demographic for covid plus maybe i would be one of those fortunate A-sympomatic people. ill keep an eye out on the weather over the summer and rolling into fall.

john harper- Thanks man ive been really be happy with it, and bang for buck vs tacoma prices, it cant be beat, plus like Honda tom said, its got those bad ass beams which i believe are a great off road set up, stronger than IFS ( not as strong as SAS) but more nimble and smoother at speed than SAS. i was actually seeking out a 96-97 for the TTB and wanted the 4.0L. Im really excited to push this little truck and i actually started carrying a jump pack a few years ago and it has saved me a time or 2 and makes jumping other people so much easier. i love mine.

Wilderone- you are probably correct on La Paz, it is very ambitious for a 15 day trip, but if we make it, great and if we don't and decide to stay somewhere for a few days we will. As much as i would love to make that last leg to La Paz if we don't it wont diminish the trip at all. but i do want to try to spent more time in SUR than Norte.

Pacifico- I do have a couple pictures, for the past 2 years ive had it on my avalanche and it did great especially when the annex was attached, you can see it attached on the avalanche below and i have one picture of it on the ranger but with no annex. Since this trip i actually flipped the tent so it opens on the driver side that way if i have the annex in use, the exhaust wont be blowing on it.

Motoged- I am holding optimistic that the covid-19 will be at as manageable state by OCT/NOV, plus i dont think mexico or the US's economy can take another shut down like this and feel the goverment will be a bit more reluctant if it comes to that again, and who knows by them there may be a vaccine or better treatment.

TMW I think we may have taken that route on our motorcycle trip, we stopped in Catavina for jug fuel and drinks then headed back north maybe 1-3 miles and took a dirt road towards the pacific, where i got a flat tire, must have hit the only nail in miles on that dirt road. A big caravan over overlanders passed us and asked if we needed help, but we were fine, anyways by the time we changed the tires and road to a spot we planned to camp it was well past sunset, but it happend to be the exact spot thoe overlanders were camping, they gave us beers and had a fire, we chatted for awhile and when we woke up we were the most beautiful cliff right on the ocean, it was such a great surprise to wake up to!

Thank you all for the fishing tips, i have a 10ft surf rod i plan to bring and i am for sure buying a good solid inflatable kayak (probably a lower end sea eagle), i had a buddy tell me it was a game changer for their trip down there, made fishing and exploring much more fun.

please keep the tips coming!

IMG_0475.jpg - 167kBIMG_7998.JPG - 174kB
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 06:25 PM

You got a roof rack, so take real kayaks or SUPs — much better than inflatable kayaks.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 06:45 PM

Nice! That tent looks great... very roomy!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-14-2020 at 07:46 PM
Welcome to the forum, and what a great first post!

Only two weeks, and you probably won't be back for a while? I would travel light, and cover as much ground as possible!

Unless you really love cooking at your campsite, consider living out of an Ice chest and a tote full of edibles, and look forward to the next restaurant or taco stand you come across. No cooking = no cleaning, and a heck of a lot less clutter in the truck.

November is a good time to be there, and at least on the Sea of Cortez side, I have found the water to be warmer than it is in May. Bugs could be a problem, but probably not. If you do get into an area with "no-seeums", don't forget to spray your lower legs and feet, some of them stay very close to the ground!

By the way, where is your next port of call?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ADVseeker

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 09:02 AM

Mtgoat666- I could but i would have to strap it down to my tent since that entire rack is used for it, also if a rigid one is sitting on the tent it may wear through the tent cover, especially off-road, plus its one more big item to strap down and worry about, but next time i get the tent on ill take a look and maybe i can make a hitch extension to hold the back end up over the tent and get a front cross bar that goes in the door jam to hold the front, because i would prefer to have a hard plastic kayak over inflatable, less to worry about. But those sea eagles have pretty good reviews!

Pacifico- Yea with the annex the tent has TONS of room, you can even fit another queen sized air mattress in the bottom of the annex and sleep 3 people up top of you wanted. and the annex has screens on 4 sides so we can hide out if any bugs are around.

AKgringo- yea so far only 2 weeks, but im trying to see if my wife can swing a few extra days off, its not an issue for me, but her work is a bit more difficult. I do plan on trying to get down south fairly quickly, on my motor cycle trip we zig zagged down the peninsula, but that was a mistake this time we will spend most of the time on the cortex side with a couple stops on the pacific side, zig zagging just ate up a ton of time, plus we were off road pretty much the entire way down. you make a good point about cooking and cleaning and that something we will consider and only cook when necessary.

so im in aviation for the coast guard and fly fixed wing, not our helos, which means my unit selection is pretty small, but im shooting for Washington state (helo unit and unlikely) which is home for me, but if not then back up by you! Im hoping to get back up to kodiak! thats where i was before here (Sacramento) and had a blast so we will see next February where they are sending me, it could be neither of those! i just don't want to go back out east.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ADVseeker  
Mtgoat666- I could but i would have to strap it down to my tent since that entire rack is used for it, also if a rigid one is sitting on the tent it may wear through the tent cover, especially off-road, plus its one more big item to strap down and worry about, but next time i get the tent on ill take a look and maybe i can make a hitch extension to hold the back end up over the tent and get a front cross bar that goes in the door jam to hold the front, because i would prefer to have a hard plastic kayak over inflatable, less to worry about. But those sea eagles have pretty good reviews!

if the roof-top tent prevents taking toys (mtn bikes, SUPs, kayaks), then ditch the roof-top tent and make room for toys. Tents are easy to pitch on the ground (never have seen the attraction of climbing a ladder to get into a tent)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 12:05 PM

Nice truck for Baja. Very wise to get an ubiquitous vehicle/drivetrain for parts availability and suitable to local mechanic's skills/knowledge.

If you have some extra coin in the budget, a rear locking differential would be a strong upgrade for gnarly offroad conditions. I find the OEM limited slip is rather weak in terms of the toque bias sent to the other wheel. Better than an open diff, but not even close to having a locking diff. I'm assuming that you have a Ford 8.8" rear diff? I've had outstanding results and 100% reliability with the Eaton E-Locker, electronically engaged selectable locker. I swapped an 8.8 Explorer axle into a Jeep Wrangler and an E-Locker. Ran it hard, including sand duning with a 280 HP stroked engine.
https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/differentials/eaton-e...
ADVseeker

[*] posted on 5-15-2020 at 11:14 PM

Mtgoat666-I will figure out what to do about the kayak, and ill for sure go the kayak route to make fishing easier, plus 2 up on a SUP isnt that much fun and slloooww, and i really dont want to haul 2 of them around, so a tandem kayak is what ill be going for As for the RTT, they have pros and cons, sometimes i wish i had a nice ground tent, but its nice being up on the truck when you dont have any decent ground around, lets you camp where other people cant, plus electricity at the tent already is nice, and the biggest pro is sleeping on memory foam, its a game changer ( especially with 2 people sharing a mattress. I know i could pack memory foam but ive been happy with it so far, biggest negative is having to pack up any time you want to go anywhere or go offroad, i am working on a carrier for my TW200 but that will be when were not hitting any hard trails and not driving thousands of miles lol

Maderita- Yea it has the 8.8 out back, believe me i wanted to do a selectable locker but i couldn't justify it, if i was to do it right and put the rear locker in, i would pay someone, and then i might as well re-gear and get rid of my 3.73's it has now, but then if im going that far i might as well up grade to the explorer 31 spine 8.8 with disk brakes, and then of course id have to re-gear the front as well.... so i went cheap and kept the 3.73 since finding a 4.10 dana35 TTB is damn near impossible. Then just dropped in an aussie locker myself (200$ or so) and nice manual hubs and called it a day, but if i ever blow up a diff or destroy the rear axle ill do it all and add a front and rear selectable lockers and re-gear..... and i have enough room for 35's so i would definitely step up to those with proper gearing... but this is just my play truck for camping and i think the front locker i added will help significantly.

ive heard good things about the eaton E-lockers and i would probably go E-lock, as much as i would love an OX locker and be all mechanical linkage i cant drop that kind of money.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2020 at 03:25 PM

ADVseeker - It's difficult to draw the line on the wish-list vs. the budget! A lot of money to step up to 35" tires with the necessary gear ratio changes. I was happy with 33's and 4.10 gears. Never thought that the additional expense was worth it to gain 1" underneath the diff. It's cheaper to pay attention to tire placement and driving skills.

A word of caution, you probably already know, about those "lunchbox lockers". The durability is poor. When they grenade, it will destroy internals and may require an expensive, complete axle rebuild. Don't ask how I know :( It will *probably* be okay if you go easy on the throttle when rock crawling, and keep the 33's. (35's increase the strain on the drivetrain parts).

You're the first I've heard mention on this forum about a Yamaha TW200. I'm curious to hear your impressions. Folks here might like to know more. Perhaps starting a thread with photos and your product review would be of interest. I have a BW200 and a BW350, strictly offroad. The BW350 is fun with a paddle tire for duning.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.