Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Travel trailer insurance
rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 10:44 AM
Travel trailer insurance

I am currently living in a 36' travel trailer while our casita is being built here in Los Barriles. I talked to an insurance salesman last Friday about fire and theft insurance on both the trailer and the new casita and was given a quote for the casita insurance but was told that insurance on a travel trailer is only available if said trailer is hooked up to a vehicle and that both the vehicle and the trailer must be registered to the same person. That sounds pretty odd to me. There are lots of travel trailers sitting in RV parks here in Los Barriles and Mexico and I find it hard to believe that not a one of them has insurance for fire and theft. Comments?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 12:01 PM

You should go to those RV parks and ask them directly.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 12:35 PM

Or, call Baja Bound and/or other insurance Mexican companies and ask!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 02:38 PM

West Coast Insurance Services
www.InsureMeWC.com
Jason Wagner - nice guy.
His dad Gary founded Giggling Marlin 35+ years ago ..
Jason is extremely knowledgeable
I'm sure he can give you guidance and answers and sell you what you need.
It might be a bit challenging to get him to respond !!!
Hope this helps

(818) 788-5353
(844) 924-2004 (U.S Toll Free)
 01 (800) 099 0614 (Mex)

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rogbag  
There are lots of travel trailers sitting in RV parks here in Los Barriles and Mexico and I find it hard to believe that not a one of them has insurance for fire and theft.

A travel trailer sitting under open sky on the leased lot could have value < 3K, not worth insurance or stealing efforts. It's not going anywhere. Might not be even road-worthy, bearings shot, tires not holding air, breakaway wiring crumbled to dust in the hot sun.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-17-2020 at 06:00 PM

How about if you put your "guest cottage" up on blocks, pull the plates and tires off and throw some skirting around the perimeter?

Turn the tongue into a planter box and the look is complete! All that is easily undone when you are ready to move in to the casita.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 06:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by rogbag  
There are lots of travel trailers sitting in RV parks here in Los Barriles and Mexico and I find it hard to believe that not a one of them has insurance for fire and theft.

A travel trailer sitting under open sky on the leased lot could have value < 3K, not worth insurance or stealing efforts. It's not going anywhere. Might not be even road-worthy, bearings shot, tires not holding air, breakaway wiring crumbled to dust in the hot sun.

It is not the trailer that I want to insure, it is the contents. The trailer tongue has been cut off so it is not going anywhere without some effort by someone with a sky crane..
rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 06:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
West Coast Insurance Services
www.InsureMeWC.com
Jason Wagner - nice guy.
His dad Gary founded Giggling Marlin 35+ years ago ..
Jason is extremely knowledgeable
I'm sure he can give you guidance and answers and sell you what you need.
It might be a bit challenging to get him to respond !!!
Hope this helps

(818) 788-5353
(844) 924-2004 (U.S Toll Free)
 01 (800) 099 0614 (Mex)

Thank you, I will try him later this morning.
rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
How about if you put your "guest cottage" up on blocks, pull the plates and tires off and throw some skirting around the perimeter?

Turn the tongue into a planter box and the look is complete! All that is easily undone when you are ready to move in to the casita.

It's already on blocks. The tongue was welded back on to move the trailer up to our lot and is now a separate item. The trailer will stay on the lot as guest accommodations for the kids, grandkids and great-grandkid when they come to visit.
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2020 at 07:07 AM

I lost a trailer and all contents in one of seven Mulege floods. For thirty years I have been insured thru varies insurance companies and overtime if I needed to make a claim my agent Lynda Bilyeu has always taken care of me. She's located in San felipe (686) 577-1622.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2020 at 09:37 AM

rogbag

Another thought:
Bob and Anita Jankovics
bobjankovicsATgmail
MX Cel 624-129-9232
US Cel 845-505-6320
They are in Cabo.. has offices in US also

Hope this helps. Lori

rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2020 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
rogbag

Another thought:
Bob and Anita Jankovics
bobjankovicsATgmail
MX Cel 624-129-9232
US Cel 845-505-6320
They are in Cabo.. has offices in US also

Hope this helps. Lori

Hi Lori
Bob is where I got the information about registration and hookup requirements. I just got an email from an old neighbor in Costa Brava RV Park that lost a trailer in the fire they had about 8 or 9 years ago that did collect on her insurance. It was registered in her name but was not hooked to a vehicle at the time of the fire. Maybe the rules are flexible...it is Mexico.
Thanks for the assistance
Roger

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.