BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Non full time expats where/how do you live ?
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2020 at 08:53 PM

Never really understood owning down South. We have found rentals for 4-5 months at a time in late fall through winter.

I understand that you can call it your home , personalize it and build relationships within your community.

What I don't get is all the carrying cost , maintenance expenses and other related cost that go with owning property in Mexico that you stay in 4-5 months a year.-Not to mention the worry factor if everything is all right when you're not there.

There are so many long term rentals at an affordable price that it works for us. It also provides us with the ability to explore different areas of baja.

Lastly , when we get ready to leave we close the door and adios. No worries and we leave all the maintenance to someone else.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-20-2020 at 08:12 AM

We will fix up the property we have in BCS to spend time in Fall & Spring. We will sell our NorCal house and use equity to purchase a place in Nor. Nevada for holidays and summer. I prefer to utilize US healthcare for my retirement years. (LOL I currently have a neurologist, cardiologist orthopedic hand surgeon....) Renting would not be my preference, I like my own stuff and our place in BCS is fairly central to getting around the areas we want to explore (off roading will be involved, as well as paddling, snorkeling, fishing...)
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-20-2020 at 08:41 AM

I retired at at 54 same house 21 years in rancho park California.i already had a house in in Baja north Mexico. Since I don't like the heat I prefer Pacific side. I liked it so much in Mexico . I did in fact sell my home in rancho park as boring to live there . For a outdoor guy with a 1/4 of the money I bought 4 cheap houses out of Los Angeles. Three of them I sold but I'm the bank . One is rented with only year to year lease. If I decide to return witch I don't plan on anytime soon. With virus riots traffic don't think I need that.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2020 at 09:43 AM

For close to 20 years on and off we lived on our sailboat in Marina de la Paz. We spent 4-5 months on the boat each year. What we observed among fellow expats is that change is inevitable. Many folks sold their home in the states to buy a nice boat and sail the world. Illness and death changed many plans. Losing a spouse curtailed many plans. Chronic illness caused some to return to the states for family or health care. Sadly, locating housing, selling the boat, moving back, was a major issue for some. Those who retained their stateside home had a more comfortable transition. We kept our home, always knew it would be there when we were done. When that time occurred, sold the boat and resumed life in our US home.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2020 at 09:48 AM

Not married to Mexican if I thought unsafe to live here. I would return to states at the rate California. Is going down the tubes police standing on one corner. While rioters burning and destroy property on next block. What the hell
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-20-2020 at 10:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Not married to Mexican if I thought unsafe to live here. I would return to states at the rate California. Is going down the tubes police standing on one corner. While rioters burning and destroy property on next block. What the hell

Bajaretread:
Where do you get the idea that riots are happening all over california? Riots are pretty rare. Crime and murder rates here in USA are much, much lower than rates in Mexico.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2020 at 12:04 PM

Please stay in your house drunk and open your eyes. As this year in California if you think was good 😂. You need all the help you can get.:?:
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 8-22-2020 at 08:56 AM

Once again thanks everyone for your input, definitely a lot to think about, looking forward to retirement. To bad some of the last replies drifted off topic a bit.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2020 at 11:06 AM

we have done this for about a dozen years now...
purchased a place in Mulege and leave Colo. in Oct and return in late may or early June. kept the house at 8k elevation and had nice summers there until a couple of years ago then sold it paid off the mtg and bought a smaller place in town close to Dr.'s and other amenities.
one thing to be aware of when you go to medicare and some med ins there is some fine print about being out of home place for over six months... we manage, but pretty obvious that we are gone since all med claims are June thru Sept.
Now mid 70's and harder to do the travel thing , even with the purchase of the mx property even with Fideicomiso, taxes, etc our fixed expenses on that property is about $2k per year. of course food, beer, boat, party, party during the 8 months are not in that figure.. and the casita in Mx is a pretty nice home. so it is possible what you are talking about from our experience... good luck... Oh, we don't like renting either place while we are gone. just personal with us...

forgot a couple of things, we also have permanet resident status since you are supposed to only stay 6 months on a fmm "tourist visa" but also know some that ignore everything... usually tell new folks to rent for a year or so before buying to make sure they are where they like... learned the hard way...

[Edited on 8-23-2020 by mtnpop]

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Ricky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2020 at 12:30 AM

We sold our La Salina place last year and just closed on a condo in Rosarito. To fund the difference, we sold a rental condo we owned for many years. One plan, sell the primary house, purchase a smaller rental condo Then look for a place with the delta between the sale of the home and purchase price of a condo. You always need an escape plan.
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  
Kind of a wide open question but expats that don't live in Baja full time where/how do you live ? Do you own a second home, rent a second home, live in an RV ? Live with your kids...you get the picture. My plan is when we retire to live in Baja for 8 months out of the year but where to go when we head back to the states during the Hotter months ? Doesn't make since to me to own a home in the states paying taxes, upkeep etc. when were only going back 4 months a year. Living on a limited savingsCo/social security per month I'm just trying to find the most economical way to make it all happen. We have a place in Baja that's paid for and plan to sell our house in the states when its time to retire and use that money to help with retirement. Thanks for your input

Northern California is "home" 40 acres in North Washoe Co. Nevada Sometimes 35 acres in Churchill County Nevada once in awhile. 35% of the time in Todos Santos BCS and whatever left between Forrida and Italy.

Anyone want 2.52 acres in Southern Colorado?

CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lengua  
Never really understood owning down South. We have found rentals for 4-5 months at a time in late fall through winter.

I understand that you can call it your home , personalize it and build relationships within your community.

What I don't get is all the carrying cost , maintenance expenses and other related cost that go with owning property in Mexico that you stay in 4-5 months a year.-Not to mention the worry factor if everything is all right when you're not there.

There are so many long term rentals at an affordable price that it works for us. It also provides us with the ability to explore different areas of baja.

Lastly , when we get ready to leave we close the door and adios. No worries and we leave all the maintenance to someone else.

Its not for everyone. My house costs me $450 in trust fees $500 per year in taxes, $48 a year in water and $60 in power when we are away.

I paid $247,000 for it in 2018 and today it is worth $385,000.

[Edited on 9-18-2020 by CasaMaximus]
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 09:52 PM

I forgot the Gardener... $40 per month (2 hours a week) and a housekeeper $35 per month. For this princely sum we have a second family, a second community and a place to call home whenever I want where I can get off a plane and go to without bags.

Priceless.

[Edited on 9-18-2020 by CasaMaximus]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2020 at 05:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Please stay in your house drunk and open your eyes. As this year in California if you think was good 😂. You need all the help you can get.:?:

is English your second language?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.