Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Car Rental VS Own Vehicle
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 04:08 PM

Why people don't read posts before responding, puzzles me.The OP specified a destination - Cabo and "as far North as La Paz, including Todos Santos and Cabo Pulmo".

Of those destined for Cabo and area, the majority are flying there. Fast, comfortable, more days left for enjoying what they came for. Very few are coming there to enjoy a several days drive, but I would imagine such types existing too :)
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 04:12 PM
You infer that I may not speak the truth???

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Drive with your brain, not with your foot, and you can pretty much go anywhere.

This not really true.

And you can't expect ppl like the op to have close to your knowledge of how to do it, even if it was true.

That said, 2 wheel drive is fine for a lot of Baja. But don't go very far off the beat path.

[Edited on 9-7-2020 by JZ]

"Even if it was (sic) true"
Well, my record speaks for itself
I am listed on a dozen NORRA, BSC, and SCORE finishing results (BRA also)
And, yes, the cult of 4 x 4 is certainly pervasive
and vastly over rated.
A bit of sense and you can go virtually anywhere in Baja in 2 wheel drive.
No, you can't rock climb, nor run the Pole Line Road
But who cares. All of Baja awaits the prudent off road driver.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 08:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lav_ocotillo  
thank you for this thread! i'm planning out a trip as well. is it totally unreasonable to not have 4wd or awd?

I raced in all the SCORE races for 12 years, plus a few other random events. Drove a 2 wheel drive Ford pickup. Also did all of our pre-running in a 2 wheel drive pickup...
...Only in my 2 wheel drive F150...

That's a great sandbag, jajaja. You left out the part about having a rear locking differential. You must certainly have a locking diff (or a spool)? So as not to confuse the masses, a rear locker is more than 100% better than a conventional open diff. In some conditions, having a rear locker in 2WD will surpass the ability of 4WD with open diffs. A stock pickup with an open differential and OEM tires is likely to get stuck at the first sandy arroyo.
My selectable locking diff gets used frequently. Rarely do I shift into 4WD. For the most part, I tend to think of 4WD as my "insurance policy" to get unstuck.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2020 at 09:26 PM

"Even if it was (sic) true"
Well, my record speaks for itself
I am listed on a dozen NORRA, BSC, and SCORE finishing results (BRA also)
And, yes, the cult of 4 x 4 is certainly pervasive
and vastly over rated.
A bit of sense and you can go virtually anywhere in Baja in 2 wheel drive.
No, you can't rock climb, nor run the Pole Line Road
But who cares. All of Baja awaits the prudent off road driver.

Because someone is a great swimmer and knows the ocean very well doesn't mean it's a good idea for them to tell others to swim in the ocean w/o a life jacket.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 09:04 AM
You are partially correct

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Quote: Originally posted by lav_ocotillo  
thank you for this thread! i'm planning out a trip as well. is it totally unreasonable to not have 4wd or awd?

I raced in all the SCORE races for 12 years, plus a few other random events. Drove a 2 wheel drive Ford pickup. Also did all of our pre-running in a 2 wheel drive pickup...
...Only in my 2 wheel drive F150...

That's a great sandbag, jajaja. You left out the part about having a rear locking differential. You must certainly have a locking diff (or a spool)? So as not to confuse the masses, a rear locker is more than 100% better than a conventional open diff. In some conditions, having a rear locker in 2WD will surpass the ability of 4WD with open diffs. A stock pickup with an open differential and OEM tires is likely to get stuck at the first sandy arroyo.
My selectable locking diff gets used frequently. Rarely do I shift into 4WD. For the most part, I tend to think of 4WD as my "insurance policy" to get unstuck.

Not a "sandbag"
We did indeed use a partially locked rear end gear in the race truck.
We were afraid of breaking axles with a true locker so our Ford tech guy showed us how to add an extra spacer into the clutch pack. We pressed it and wrapped up the rear end gear. On pavement, making tight turns the inside wheel would "chirp" but under heavy stress on an uneven road it would not be as likely to break an axle.

Never have used a locker in a pre-runner
My ancient F150 which has made 22 annual treks deep into backcountry Baja does not have a locker.
Thus, 90+% of my Baja driving has been 2 wheel, non-locked rear end.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 10:07 AM

To answer they OP question - and Ocotillo's as well - you don't need an awd or 4wd if you don't go off the road. Any car will do, a beaten up rental compact is fine.

It is "possible" to get stuck in 2WD in a village if you don't watch where you're going, but then, in a village there are always people around, they will pull you out. Carry a towing chain and be prepared that they could refuse to take money - a notorious Mexican "orgullo", though they usually take. Don't know whether this has been mentioned in this thread - don't drive at night, too many reasons.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 10:40 AM

My ancient F150 which has made 22 annual treks deep into backcountry Baja does not have a locker.

the new f-150s have open differential with optional e-lockers

i think older f-150s had limited slip differentials, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 12:23 PM
Locked Up on the Pavement

Years back, I was looking for a second Suzuki Samurai to trade back and forth with an existing one in Baja.

A business out on the highway here had one in great shape "for sale" at a good price displayed for awhile before I stopped to check it out.

Before we went for a test drive, the business owner told me that previous would-be buyers had been turned-off by the (full-time) locking rear-end that he'd installed years back.

"Just be really careful about your speed when turning left. It can get pretty Squirrely."

And, it was scary.

I never let anyone else drive it and years later, I gave the same advice to the Mexican I sold it to in San Felipe.

Hope he followed it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

the new f-150s have open differential with optional e-lockers

i think older f-150s had limited slip differentials, eh?

My 1999 F150, a veteran of many Baja wars, definitely does not have limited slip. I get stuck every couple years here in Central Cal. I am a real estate developer and too often I venture out on a rainy winter day to check progress of subdivision work, without wanting to get wet. And, even on the level that old sucker just sits and spins.
Been stuck more times on level ground in Stanislaus County than in all my years in Baja. (Which maybe indicates a lack of caution and good sense here at home... on familiar ground)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 05:05 PM

Maybe Baja Vida can loan you his Range Rover? (I am just kidding)!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 08:13 PM

BV drives a pussy RAV
Not a macho machine for sure
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2020 at 09:19 PM

LOL, oh you are in so much trouble when I tell him!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 01:56 PM

Renting a car in BCS is expensive mostly because of insurance costs. You can buy a nice US plated car privately for far less than you can rent.
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 9-21-2020 at 09:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
To rent a car for a month will cost at least $2,000 - we rented a little SUV for just over a week in Loreto and it was about $750. Also flights into Cabo. But if you choose that route you will save on ok travel time - 3 days each way into La Paz from USA. If you like to drive it will just cost insurance (about $300 for 6 month full coverage policy, much cheaper if liability only) plus gas and hotels/motels. Significantly less expensive to drive (and more fun IMHO). So it really depends on your budget - if you have the $ and want more days in Southern BCS, fly and rent a car, if $ is on a budget, drive. Good luck!

A 4x4 or awd rental will run you at least $100 per day in BCS so don't fall for the low price leaders the up charges kill you. Full coverage (walk away deductibles) are a bit more.

I opted to buy a truck to bring down but the pandemic has it sitting here in the North. It is a 1991 F250 4x4 with a 460 and 79k original miles. It was roached being from a beach town in Oregon. Nothing serious, just all old stock and a surface rust / crusty patina. It was perfect. I spent $3k on the truck and $7k doing all the nessecary mods to make it ready, completely gone through everything.

Yes, it gets 12 mpg but my house is 48 miles from the airport and my village is 3 miles wide and 4 miles tall. $300k in coverage costs $220 a year and includes a plane ride home if needed. In all it costs me less to own than a years rental.

[Edited on 9-22-2020 by CasaMaximus]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.