Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Travel Medical Insurance
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 11:29 AM
Travel Medical Insurance

I've been travelling to south Baja for the past four years for winter months and lived a year down there in 2011. For the year i lived there, i didn't have medical insurance other than my minimal Vet Insurance (Canada). But since I moved back to Canada, I have been buying 6 month Travel Medical Insurance.

I have spoken to some other Nomads on the road and had a variety of feedback on the sense and sensibility of the cost and value. I spoke to a fellow Canuck last fall on my way down who advised he never buys the insurance because the cost of Mexican medical is cheap. So in effect, i guess he is gambling that nothing serious will happen.

I just checked online with two of my previous sources, my insurance company and the Alberta Motor Association and both premiums have skyrocketed this year to around $900.

I live in La Paz for the winter.....my biggest concern is a major medical situation or a need to be medically evacuated. Yes, I know deep down what the wise thing to do is.....now how about some feedback for the more daring side of me??

thanks in advance,

regards,
Keith
SkyMedBarbara
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 12:59 PM
SkyMed Air Evacuation

SKyMed Air Evacuation is very affordable at $299.99 a year or $45.00 a month for a single. When a critical Injury or Illness occurs we save you thousands of dollars by getting you back HOME to Canada. We have discussed this many times on Nomad so if you want information please e-mail me at loretobarbara@skymed.com. I have been a rep. in Loreto for over 8 years and am a SkyMed Ambassador. Safe Travels and SKyMed gives you "peace of mind" when traveling.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 01:09 PM
DAN Evac insurance

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/travelassist.a...

You don't have to be a diver to join
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  

Yes, I know deep down what the wise thing to do is.....now how about some feedback for the more daring side of me??

Only you can evaluate the risk. Your age, your current level of fitness, your medical history, and your lifestyle are all considerations. I'm sure you understand. If you go uninsured you should have substantial cash and/or credit available and accept the fact you might have to use it.

Don't do any bungee jumping without insurance. ;)
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/travelassist.a...

You don't have to be a diver to join

Ditto, This is the best deal I have found. Follow the link above and read the details. This is a evacuation service not medical insurance.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 02:14 PM

there was a very interesting thread quite a while ago, on this dive insurance and it became clear that it is only valid if you LIVE in the U.S. and come here for a vacation. they ask very specific questions to ascertain this when you call up in an emergency.

However, those of us who live here, we don't qualify!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 02:19 PM

As a Canadian, the OP and I might wonder if Canadians might
qualify for such "evacuation only" insurance ?

AAA rates are not the least expensive for health/evac insurance.....

This interests me as well as I plan to be in Baja for several months next year....

Don't believe everything you think....
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 03:45 PM

Well, as Jimmy the Greek said (paraphrasing) "as far as insurance goes....it is the worst wager anyone can take....you are betting against yourself and the only winner is the insurance company".....I think any of us who have been at life more than 40 years agree with him.....we are buying on a slim margin....I was interested in what you all had to say.....I just HATE being gouged by the premiums.....and of course that includes my annual Mexican auto insurance....between the two i fork out over $1200 annually, on top of my Canadian insurance.

Lol....b-tch, b-tch, b-tch.......yup..

regards,
Keith
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 04:33 PM

Regarding BC medical, they say if you are injured in a foreign country you will be covered by our medical plan up to what it would cost for a similar injury in BC. I heard the cost of medical care in Mexico is comparable to BC. What you will have to do is pay for an injury out of your own pocket, keep all bills, and then get reimbursed when back in BC. BC medical will not cover some things such as an ambulance pick up. When you are in the States you will be grossly underinsured. But if you are injured in a vehicle accident, ICBC should cover you, right?
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2015 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jack  
Regarding BC medical, they say if you are injured in a foreign country you will be covered by our medical plan up to what it would cost for a similar injury in BC. I heard the cost of medical care in Mexico is comparable to BC. What you will have to do is pay for an injury out of your own pocket, keep all bills, and then get reimbursed when back in BC. BC medical will not cover some things such as an ambulance pick up. When you are in the States you will be grossly underinsured. But if you are injured in a vehicle accident, ICBC should cover you, right?

I'm in Alberta.....but i think all Vehicle insurance plans will not cover a vehicle in Mexico...I know mine doesn't and when i was resident of BC, ICBC didn't.
Alberta Health care only covers a small amount, hence the buying extra insurance, even if you vacation in the US. My private insurance for Mexico will cover evacuation. That is the policy thru Alberta Motor Association.

regards,
Keith

[Edited on 9-24-2015 by 23S52N]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2015 at 09:23 AM

A medical evacuation plan is very smart. Since you are in La Paz, the Salvatierra hospital is new and very good. You can get Seguros Popular and that will give you basic coverage. The cost is supposed to be on a sliding scale but you may also get it for no cost and just sign up. Then you are covered for most anything that you run into. There is an office in La Paz and they can help you get signed up.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-24-2015 at 11:05 AM

.... When you are in the States you will be grossly underinsured. But if you are injured in a vehicle accident, ICBC should cover you, right?

Jack,
Good to see you are still kicking :biggrin:

Yes, provincial auto insurance covers us for Canada and USA....but not Mexico....and I know you know that :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 9-24-2015 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  

I'm in Alberta.....but i think all Vehicle insurance plans will not cover a vehicle in Mexico...I know mine doesn't and when i was resident of BC, ICBC didn't.
Alberta Health care only covers a small amount, hence the buying extra insurance, even if you vacation in the US. My private insurance for Mexico will cover evacuation. That is the policy thru Alberta Motor Association.

regards,
Keith

[Edited on 9-24-2015 by 23S52N]

I guess I should have explained myself better. BC medical may be all we need in Mexico, but in the USA it is not good enough. But in the USA we should be covered by our vehicle insurance, ICBC, as long as we are injured in a motor vehicle accident (for the time you are in the States, don't get out of the truck ;D ). I know you need Mexican Vehicle Insurance which I buy for truck, trailer and motorcycle.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-24-2015 at 02:20 PM
And hope nothing happens in CA!

This happened to an exchange student (with insurance to be gouged)

http://www.10news.com/news/-143k-hospital-bill-shocks-snake-...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 09:03 AM

If you have to utilize your evac insurance do the insurance companies ask for proof of "the time spent outside your home country" (or your entrances and exits in to the foreign county) to verify you paid for the proper plan? There's a big cost difference between full-time and part time Expat Evac plans as well as tourist plans. I can't imagine it's an honor system.

With our Residente Permanente we don't stop at the border for tourist cards and so our passports don't reflect our actual border crossings.The only passport stamps we get nowadays are with air travel. If the insurance companies require passport stamps when you file a claim, we couldn't provide them no matter what level of coverage we paid for.

At the time of our Evac insurance annual renewal this year I decided not to chance it and paid for the Expatriate level. But it is NOT cheap and we took a few unexpected flights back to the US and turns out, we would have qualified for MedJet's "Expat 180" which is half the cost of full time version I bought. The cost of our US medical insurance is ridiculous, rising, and I don't want to pay for extra $$$ evac insurance coverage if we don't need it.

I sent an email to MedJet asking if they would require proof of exits and entrances from the US/foreign country travel but their response was vague and didn't answer the question. I'll call them for a more definitive answer at renewal time but wondered if anyone has experience filing an evac insurance claim.
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 09:28 AM

It's standard practice for any insurance company to hand the file over to their lawyer to examine for policy compliance/wiggle room before paying out or not paying out.
It's a business, and their mandate is to answer to their share holders in the form of returns on their investment.
SkyMedBarbara
Junior Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 09:39 AM
SkyMed

SkyMed's Traditional Membership gives up to 6 months in Mexico a year for $499.00 for a family, the rest of the time you are covered in 32 countries. You have to state the 6 months you want coverage in Mexico up front. Otherwise you are not covered in Mexico. ExPat is more than 6 months in Mexico and is $995.00 for a family. Pretty reasonable and we have many members in Loreto.

SkyMed Air Evacuation Memberships
www.SkyMed.com/Loreto
e-mail skymedloreto@gmail.com
Barbara
jim1944

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 02:31 PM

HI kieth

In your original post you said "Vet Insurance" If you are or were in the forces and have PSHCP coverage you are eligible for MEDOC travel insurance at a reduced rate. See links on fsna.com or phone me at two five zero - four 89 - four 438. I have used it for years
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jim1944  
HI kieth

In your original post you said "Vet Insurance" If you are or were in the forces and have PSHCP coverage you are eligible for MEDOC travel insurance at a reduced rate. See links on fsna.com or phone me at two five zero - four 89 - four 438. I have used it for years

Thanks Jim....i'm going to contact PSHCP and VAC and check into this a little more. Appreciate your input. As an aside, my present auto insurance gives me a rebate for time spent in Mexico on insurance....and now only requires proof (gas/hotel receipt) of entry/exit by that means in lieu of an INM stamp in the passport.

Having just checked on the PSHCP site, it appears that the emergency travel assistance is only good for up to 40 days. I will be gone for just about 6 months.

Thanks kindly for all the input.

regards,
Keith

[Edited on 9-25-2015 by 23S52N]
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-25-2015 at 05:26 PM

Helpful and informative post and replies..thank you for contributing.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.