Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kurt
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 12:38 PM
Kurt

http://xgames.espn.go.com/rally-moto-x/article/10078322/kurt...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 12:41 PM

pretty HEAVY! i graduated HS the year he was born.

RIP!:saint:

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 01:24 PM

Glad they're talking about using 2 SPOT devices next year.

PanchoVanilla

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 12:46 AM

The 2013 SCORE Baja 1000; on September 3, 2013 - two months prior to the event - I wrote to Kurt Caselli's dear friend and sponsor, Dean Potts (Bonanza Plumbing) and specifically outlined why I "needed" to be on the Support Team...

He wrote back:

"Billy? I am not even invited! The Austrian Factory Rally Team says they are handling everything and don't want us 'cowboys' coming down! They said: 'Just write the checks when we win...'!"

Dean would later let me in on more specifics...

"They are running it like it's some kind of CIA Operation! They (KTM Management - Austria) don't want Kurt of the rest of the riders even talking with the Honda or Kawasaki guys! You know we can't do that! We have to work 'together' BEFORE the race and become adversarial DURING the race, then be friends again AFTER the race!"

"Baja Nomad"....

Perhaps HERE is a place to set the RECORD straight? I mean, WOW!

Two whole comments here about one of the most tragic and unforgivable deaths in Baja racing history?

SCORE never sent anyone out to verify or rule out third party intervention; whether or not a range animal or another human might have caused the injury?

Colton Udall blew by Kurt Caselli at 3:26 p.m. but if SPOT Tracking was off by three miles? The JCR/Honda Helicopter was right overhead and in the area, but SCORE REDACTED then REMOVED the Rebroadcast of the "Weatherman Live Feed"?

Moments after the [1x] passed Caselli - what do we see?

Colton slowed down (39 mph) where Caselli was reportedly stopped..

Caselli's bike moved 880+ feet?

If you read the brilliant article - linked above - reporter Alyssa Roenigk (ESPN Magazine/Author of "Caselli's Last Ride") did the off-road racing community a HUGE FAVOR; I asked her tell the world, for the record, where; what; who and how Roger Norman was when BOTH lead motorcycles STOPPED?

One SCOREVET is a retired Honda Executive and thinking a rancher or people from the local Ejido had stopped the race, called the JCR Helo and got no answer.... So it was was early on and we wanted to learn from this tragedy, so we asked Ms. Roenigk for some help!

And when she published her article, I let her know she deserved some merit award, and then I called Roger and gave him a "recommendation":

"Roger? I am going to recommend you do something right away; and it's the kind of 'recommendation' I would give to anyone; like:

'I recommend you put on a parachute before you jump from this burning plane!'

Lawsuits that originate out of Mexico for "Wrongful Death"; "Gross Negligence"; "Gross Misconduct", "Willful Indifference to Human Life"...

After all the finger pointing and blaming - and Kurt himself would have gotten a punch in the nose from me - there would still be bloodshed and thousands of dollars wasted in a Civil Matter...

INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATION BY SCORE RACING VETERANS; "SCOREVETS"

As early as November 28, 2013 some thirty-five (35) men and women who are SCORE "veterans" have gathered over the past two years - independent and separate from the Kurt Caselli Foundation - and what motivated us to help and remain:

Some of our members (like me) are still ACTIVE [1] and indeed:

We know "politics" - Dean Potts and I have to be mindful of our "proper place" in the racing world - dysfunctional as it is - but one day someone may be curious how it came to pass that one of the world's most talented off-road racers died but most importantly, how to prevent or reduce the chances of it ever happening again?

But we know history and the "statistics" and how few men have ever died during the running of a NORRA or SCORE Sanctioned event!

For example:

There are three (3) members who have been Factory Honda or Kawasaki "Team Green" sponsored riders and each one has captured an Overall Win and know Caselli may have fallen, but absent any evidence, will not accepts the "simple fall" version SCORE published.

I still use my SCORE "Call Sign" whether "inside" the SCORE Command Center or up with Bob Steinberger in the "Weatherman Emergency Radio Relay Airplane" or atop Mt. Diablo...

Communications experts; Support Team members and current or former SCORE Officials; each having gained vast experience and the collective wisdom[2] we have provided valuable input because we won't buy in to Caselli's death as SCORE provided - they were never out there...

However; two of of our members were; one Mexican law enforcement official asks his name not be revealed, and the other man is the late Ken Koserik (Baja Turtle):

Ken was the man who never got a call from SCORE after discovering Caselli (still alive 90 minutes later...) and his bike at Race Mile 792.

Koserik told us everything and he not only cooperated with fellow SCOREVETS, he left his twenty-eight (28) page TIMELINE and a cryptic note we received after he died in late July 2014...

We all have personal knowledge to varying degrees on SCORE events, so on January 14, 2015 I sent our "WE" message to Roger in which we made this standing "promise":

"If we EVER hear of another 'Caselli Type' incident in which you do NOTHING, we will testify against you and SCORE in any Civil or Criminal Court matter, either side of the border!'"

image.jpeg - 89kB image.jpeg - 69kB image.jpeg - 243kB image.jpeg - 126kB image.jpeg - 94kB

image.jpeg - 77kB image.jpeg - 56kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for the post and replies amigos!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 06:27 PM

This whole thing comes off as a bit confusing to me. Is the op saying SCORE is covering up a homicide in Kurt's death? Who committed the homicide? Or was SCORE at fault for being late to respond or not responding?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 06:29 PM

im confused about the post above yours!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
im confused about the post above yours!

I appreciated someone (anyone) who posts interesting or informative subjects about Baja here... that is why I thanked you for the POST and PanchoVanilla (and others) for the REPLY.

I will try and remember to explain things more clearly for you next time my friend.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 06:43 PM

so you're replying to my 2 year old post? and you agree SCORE is guilty of murder? Am I in bazaar-o world?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 06:59 PM

... ok...
1) PanchoVilla bumped up your thread about Kurt, thanks for that.
2) It revived the topic that is still unanswered for many.
3) I thanked you for the post... better late than never, I hope?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-6-2015 at 11:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
This whole thing comes off as a bit confusing to me. Is the op saying SCORE is covering up a homicide in Kurt's death? Who committed the homicide? Or was SCORE at fault for being late to respond or not responding?

The racer died because of trauma from a crash. The other post are poorly written, so poorly written as to be unintelligible. I suspect the story the posters want to tell is as cracked as their writing is poor.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

The racer died because of trauma from a crash. The other post are poorly written, so poorly written as to be unintelligible. I suspect the story the posters want to tell is as cracked as their writing is poor.
marooon this is not a writing class,or spelling test. What the op is pointing out,is Rogers lack of care.When something bad happens in score race.Also Rogers disrespect,for People working for him.Its legendary,so as norm when you know nothing.You Speak,you know zip.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 10:44 AM

For my own interest - Locating Kurt
First pic is an overview
RM780 is northwest of valley Trinidad & Jamau. Race track goes up the goat trail toward RM780.
The main chase road from Independcia is direct access to the race track.

Detailed pic has the location for Kurt I drew on GE. Should be pretty close.
Coordinates of interest:
Road crossing RM798 31 39.346, -115 54.942
RM795 31 38.946,- 115 51.698
VCP 106 31 38.902, -115 51.558
RM792 where Kurt stopped 31 39.440, -115 49.733
RM790 31 36.262,-115 48.576
Independcia 31 36.708, -115 53.389

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.