BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Surrendering 180-Day Car Permit At Tijuana, Otay, Tecate, or Mexicali
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 12:16 PM
Surrendering 180-Day Car Permit At Tijuana, Otay, Tecate, or Mexicali

OK so you've just crossed over from the mainland on the ferry, either to Sta Rosalia, or to La Paz.

Has any reader actually handed in their car permit and gotten the hologam sticker removed from their windshield and was given a printed "proof of surrender of vehicle permit" at either of these two ports and if yes please, when did that occur?

Has any reader elected to by design or by necessity travel north and surrender their 180-day temporary car permit at the entry ports noted above? Did you find an office of Aduana? Was it open? They did process the surrender of the car permit? Was there enough parking, safe parking, ingress and egress for a large recreational vehicle such as a pickup towing a long fifth wheel?

The question is posed as a quest for accurate information for a publication on tourism in Mexico. I beg accuracy in your reply por favor. I also beg details in your reply por favor.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 12:54 PM

I obtained a TIP in Sonora and tried to surrender it at Mexicali East. They said they could only process those issued by them.(that location). Was directed to Mexicali East (downtown) and they removed the sticker and gave me whatever papers I needed.

Downtown is not very convenient when exiting Mexico, as it is to the right of the lanes heading into Mexico.

This was a few years ago 4-5?

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 01:00 PM

I've returned one in Tijuana, where I got it, about a year ago. It took about 10 minutes, didn't have to leave the vehicle, just drove up to the booth located in the parking lot.

The office is in Col. Federal, at the SY border crossing, just west of all the pharmacies and the McDonalds you see when you walk across. Drive west along that road, make a left just past the pharmacies and then make the first right. It's on your left just after you make the right. Pull into the large parking lot. There will be a worker at the entrance who can guide you from there. Real easy.

Don't know the hours of operation. I went on a weekday, mid-morning.

You could take a big rig there, but you are in the middle of the city, it can get real busy, taxis and pickup, drop-off traffic for pedestrian crossers. And there's a wild TJ traffic circle you'll need to negotiate.

Just remember the number one rule when driving in TJ, drive faster than everyone else, the only problem is everyone knows the rule.;D

Getting in line to cross north after would be tricky.

Weekdays early morning would be your best bet.

TJ driving rules:

1. Drive faster than the traffic around you.
2. Stop signs are discretionary.
3. Two cars are allowed through a light after it turns red.
4. Driving in oncoming traffic lanes is safer than hitting a lot of the potholes.
5. Don't use turn signals. If someone has one on, don't believe it.

It's an adventure!

[Edited on 6-21-2010 by k-rico]

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

OK so you've just crossed over from the mainland on the ferry, either to Sta Rosalia, or to La Paz.

Has any reader actually handed in their car permit and gotten the hologam sticker removed from their windshield and was given a printed "proof of surrender of vehicle permit" at either of these two ports and if yes please, when did that occur?
I do know people that have tried to return their permit in La Paz and couldn't do it. You can get a permit issued out at the Pichilingue ferry terminal but no one that I know has been able to return one there or anywhere else in La Paz.

I think the world is run by C- students.
bigmike
Nomad

Mood: Loving Life

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 11:55 PM

My wife returned ours in TJ last week, no problem at all. They removed the sticker and gave her a receipt to carry in the car.
She was coming back to Baja from the states, so had no need to try and get in line going North. I got my paperwork on line and it was a breeze, no problemo!!
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 06:09 AM

I would feel nervous not returning through the same permit office. They do have a signed credit card slip that is returned.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 07:05 AM

Marc, a couple of years ago I chatted with senior representatives of both Visa and Master Card. Under no circumstances whatsoever can Banjercito debit your card more than the original fee that is paid when obtaining the car permit. You and Banjercito are signing a specific legal contract for payment and there are no, read zero exclusions, provisions, riders or other clauses on that contract that would allow Banjercito to debit one cent more. VISA and MasterCard would automatically deny payment and to their knowledge this has never happened. This information is valid for US cardholders only. Contract details for VISA and MasterCard holders other than in the USA and Canada are unknown.

Onward through the fog :-)

K-rico, I (naturally) get a bit confused over driving instructions. I really appreciate your comments, but could I impose for some clarification?

If a person exits Baja at Tijuana "The Normal Way", as they approach the highway widening with all the lanes heading toward the line of US Customs booths (CBP), now what? Do they merge into the most right-hand of lanes? Help!

I am trying to make directions virtually bullet-proof for someone unfamiliar with the area driving a very unwieldy long recreational vehicle.

Would it be possible for you to download a MapQuest city street map of Tijuana and then use street names or blocks counted off as a reference. Thank you!
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 09:27 AM

am trying to make directions virtually bullet-proof for someone unfamiliar with the area driving a very unwieldy long recreational vehicle.

Sounds next to impossible, this is a congested, frenzied place, but..............................

As you appraoch the border from the west using Via Internacional you'll get to a traffic light where you make the left turn to get into the border crossing lanes.

This is important - get in the far right hand lane as you make the left turn but not the far right lane after you turn. The correct lane to be in after you make the left is just to the left of the concrete dividers and takes you Col. Federal. There is a BIG sign marking the lane. If you get in the lane to the right of the correct lane you'll miss the border and be on your way to Zona Rio. If you get in the lane to the left of the correct lane you're committed to cross the border.

Follow that lane, you won't have a choice to do otherwise and you'll come to the traffic circle. See where Frontera and Padilla intersect on the map. Make a right on Padilla.

BTW, none of these streets have street signs with names. At least none I've seen.

Go a short ways on Padilla and make a left and then a right to get to the spot marked Aduana Frontenza on the map. Pull into the parking lot and ask an attendant what's next.

tj_map.jpg - 44kB

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 04:25 PM

Just got back from the border. The street named Padilla on the map is actually named Amistad, there is a street sign.

google map

Gifu

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 12:40 PM

Updating an old post: tried to return my TIP at Tijuana... They sent me to Otay. I persisted and parked and walked over to where they issue the permit... Sure enough: Otay is my only choice.

Here:
Dropped Pin
https://goo.gl/maps/YEhmkt6cok82

Huge PITA.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.