BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice on selling used vehicle in Baja
Piter

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 03:10 PM
Advice on selling used vehicle in Baja

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger Edge with 130k miles on it. Its not worth driving it out of Baja, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about selling it here in Los Cabos or La Paz.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Piter  
I have a 2005 Ford Ranger Edge with 130k miles on it. Its not worth driving it out of Baja, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice about selling it here in Los Cabos or La Paz.

Did you see this earlier poist?:

Does that car or truck you are now driving really need a new paint job but you think you can't afford it? Think again, if you also have another car that you seldom use LET'S MAKE A DEAL! I will professionally apply a new paint job (labor and material) to the one you drive and take the one you don't drive in trade. If it is in good driving condition with current registration this could be an even trade. Necessary minor body work may also be included depending on the make and model year. An economical Japanese car is preferred but all trade-ins will be considered.

My cell phone number is 646 189-58-02 and I live in Cantu (Punta Banda)

Bob Durrell
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 04:06 PM

What kind of registration does it have. easiest to advertise and sell to an expat if USA registration.

If it has not been imported harder to legally sell to a national.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-2-2016 at 02:31 AM
kimberleygd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 07:53 AM

If you have facebook, autos y mas, ventas Ensenada
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 09:28 AM

Sell it. Or give it away to someone who needs it and is deserving.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If the car is not imported, this is illegal...and if you have been following the news lately, SAT is cracking down.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

If the car is not imported, this is illegal...and if you have been following the news lately, SAT is cracking down.

Not sure that's true if the sale is between Gringos and the registration / title transfer is to be kept in the US. Anyway, plenty of Gringos selling non imported vehicles on Cabo Craigslist and Pony Express .

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Not sure that's true if the sale is between Gringos and the registration / title transfer is to be kept in the US. Anyway, plenty of Gringos selling non imported vehicles on Cabo Craigslist and Pony Express .

Since there is no TIP in Baja probably does not matter which is why I said earlier sell to another expat if USA registration. For years, people would sell or give their cars to Nationals even knowing it was illegal...But Baja California State Government is now taking a more concerted effort to stop illegal cars. Baja Sur is supposedly not far behind.

Article in Spanish about the crackdown. http://eltijuanense.com/tijuana-local/tijuana1/715-recrudece...

[Edited on 10-2-2016 by rts551]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 12:23 PM

Piter...what kind of registration and how much for the car....Maybe a NOMAD will buy it.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 12:24 PM

to sell a car online you need PICTURES and a PRICE
and a description (4x4 auto size engine tires etc)

otherwise you are just talking about your truck

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 01:02 PM
Chocolates

So if you sell it to a national without importing, it is illegal.......just adding to the problem. If/when it is seized or confiscated the national loses his money and the truck
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 01:25 PM

I gave away a Nissan Pathfinder with 250,000 miles on it to a Mexican friend of many years. I simply signed the pink slip over to him and notified the DMV in California. It then became his responsibility to legalize it in Mexico. He did it costing around $500 at the time. After others found out about the vehicle transfer, they ask why I didn't let them make an offer. I had told my friend to make up a price to tell others. I knew they would be curious.

If you sell it to a Mexican national, the price will have to be discounted, but you said it's not worth driving to the border, so it depends on whether you are trying to make some money on the deal or get rid of the vehicle.

Mexico is loaded with illegally "imported" vehicles, and it's not only in the Baja peninsula. The government has had a policy to get these vehicles legalized. I'm not sure the amnesty program still exists. Locals will know.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  

The government has had a policy to get these vehicles legalized. I'm not sure the amnesty program still exists. Locals will know.

Yeah. The government has had big plans for this forever. They've also talked about stopping crime and a million other things. The government continues to do what they do best....plan and talk.
Truth clearly is...if they took the "chocolates" off the roads, the economy of Mexico would come to a screeching halt. No transportation to the job....no work....no income....no commerce.
Good luck with that scenario.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.