Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Sur by bus?
Tiefkühl

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 11:18 AM
Baja Sur by bus?

Hello,

could you is tell me if it's possible to get to these places by local bus? Probably have to go via some towns as there's no direct connection, i.e. Magdalena. Would suck if I have to back track.

Guerrero Negro - Laguna San Ignacio - Bahia Magdalena - Loreto

Thanks.

[Edited on 4-12-2019 by Tiefkühl]

[Edited on 4-12-2019 by Tiefkühl]
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 11:52 AM

autobuses ABC and autobuses Aguila will take you to all those places except Laguna San Ignacio.

To Laguna San Ignacio, you may have to hire a taxi at San Ignacio or arrange something with locals.

Magdalena its the name of a Bay, not a town. the biggest town on the bay its Puerto San Carlos, and the bus will get you there.
Tiefkühl

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 12:17 PM

Thanks, Archie. According to Aguila I can go to San Ignacio from Guerrero Negro. But no result for San Ignacio to Puerto San Carlos bus. That's where I have to go to get to B. Magdalena.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 01:29 PM

San Ignacio south on Hwy.1 to Ciudad Constitución where the side road to Puerto San Carlos begins.

[Edited on 4-12-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 01:54 PM

what a mistake thinking you can vacation travel baja using the bus...

rent a car

read this http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92546

baja is not paris or germany or Italy...public transit is not the same
you NEED a car

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 02:37 PM

How does one know IF Tiefkühl is vacationing ???

They could be going for a job ?
Running from the law ?
Not able to rent a car ? (for whatever reason)
Visiting friends ?

Also the buses are good buses and MUCH safer than driving an auto.....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Tiefkühl

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 03:03 PM

Thank you, all.

There's no shorter way. I have to go around to the other side to get to Ciudad Constitución, then on to PSC.

It's a whale-watching holiday and we have 4 weeks so no problem with long distance bus journeys, as long as that's possible.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 05:59 PM

There is a direct road from Laguna San Ignacio south to Insurgentes and Constitución. Both those cities have paved side roads west to Bahía Magdalena. No buss routes on that route, it is partially unpaved. You really should get a map to visualize these places.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

rent a car

you NEED a car

BS!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tiefkühl  
According to Aguila I can go to San Ignacio from Guerrero Negro. But no result for San Ignacio to Puerto San Carlos bus. That's where I have to go to get to B. Magdalena.

You are probably confusing San Ignacio town on Highway 1 with Laguna San Ignacio, which is not. As noted, Magdalena is the bay, Pto S. Carlos is the town on the bay.

Having traveled a a bit by bus along Highway 1, I wouldn't completely ignore Bob's comments. Bus itinerary like yours is doable, with scrupulous planning and allowing a lot of margin for unexpected.

Aguila and ABC online schedule in this part of Baja is approximate, give or take 1.5 or 2 hours, because buses are just stopping there, they leave from towns several hundred miles away. Even on Hwy 1 you could be marooned at GN station for a few hours past due time, not to mention connections to places off the Highway.

It is odd that your itinerary doesn't include such a famous whale watching destination as Scammon's Lagoon. There is no bus going there, but plenty of day-tours from Guerrero Negro.
Tiefkühl

[*] posted on 4-12-2019 at 11:26 PM

Thank you, Alm. Your insights are much appreciated! I did not mention Laguna Ojos de Liebre because it's the first place I head to after landing at LTO (direct 6hr bus).

I've ordered a guide book. Will need to get a map as well.

Thanks again for your help!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 12:35 AM

"Direct bus"... I remember 15.35 bus from Loreto to Guerrero Negro arrived to Santa Rosalia, unloaded everybody and turned the lights off. I only needed Sta Rosalia but out of curiosity I asked the driver "Quando sale a Guerrero Negro este autobus"?, and the answer was - "It doesn't". Maybe there was some other bus going North later, I don't know. Such impromptu changes occur more often during holidays (it was).

When on some station on Highway 1, there are only 2 directions - Norte or Sur. You don't need map for this.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 09:04 AM

Re: "Ciudad Constitución where the side road to Puerto San Carlos"

Instead, it's only 20 miles to Puerto Lopez Mateos from Cd. Insurgentes - you could take a taxi once arriving by bus from Loreto. Too, there is a tour office near the church in centro Loreto that offers whale tours. And there are whale tours from the town of San Ignacio - no need to drive out to the laguna yourself.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 09:12 AM

You're planning this for next year since the whale season has ended?
Tiefkühl

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 11:34 AM

One of the tour ops has confirmed it is possible to take the bus from GN to SI. For the next journey I catch a bus to Ciudad Contitución and inquire about the next one at the station. Just like David has said upthread.

A tour op in GN says many of her clients come by bus from Loreto. Unless I can get a flight from MEX to GN then it's even better.

The trip is next year January and I already know which whale tours I will go with (we are currently in communication). My big worry is logistics that's why I want to do research on it first. Flights and tour bookings have been sorted.

Btw, is Loreto a pleasant place? I want to chill out there on the last few days of the trip before the long flight home.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

rent a car

you NEED a car

Concur.
I've used the bus to get from Cabo to La Paz a few times.
It was fun 1 time.
Rent the cheapest car and enjoy life.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 12:43 PM

One of the tour ops has confirmed it is possible to take the bus from GN to SI. For the next journey I catch a bus to Ciudad Contitución and inquire about the next one at the station. Just like David has said upthread.

A tour op in GN says many of her clients come by bus from Loreto. Unless I can get a flight from MEX to GN then it's even better.

The trip is next year January and I already know which whale tours I will go with (we are currently in communication). My big worry is logistics that's why I want to do research on it first. Flights and tour bookings have been sorted.

Btw, is Loreto a pleasant place? I want to chill out there on the last few days of the trip before the long flight home.

Yes, Loreto is very nice town for tourists. It is the birthplace of California's system of 48 missions with the first mission founded here in 1697. There is a museum next to the old church. On the peninsula of California, now called Baja California, are 27 missions. Learn more at www.vivabaja.com/bajamissions

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 06:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I've used the bus to get from Cabo to La Paz a few times.
It was fun 1 time.
Rent the cheapest car and enjoy life.

Right. Rent the cheapest car for 2 hours. By the time you arrive to La Paz, the bus drivers, leaving at the same time as you, will have already finished their tacos at La Paz station.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2019 at 07:06 PM

I recall that GN is served by local airline Calafia but they don't fly to MEX. The closest airport for GN is LTO.

I'm not sure if there are any direct flights from MEX to LTO. Tourists come to GN from Loreto because they are already staying in some resort in Loreto. You might consider Tijuana - many flights from MEX, reasonable prices.

From TIJ to GN there is Aereo Calafia, but given their infrequent schedule it could be easier/faster to take a bus from Tijuana to GN. Start a separate thread if you decide on this route.

[Edited on 4-14-2019 by Alm]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2019 at 01:31 AM

If you don't need a car, the bus is great.
You can buy beer at all the stops. The ride goes by quick.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.