Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Non-essential travel?
bike4mee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 06:42 AM
Non-essential travel?

Hey nomads
I hope followers start posting on border crossing hassles. Is there going to be a mexican crackdown on non-essential travel? From what I understand there is no problems getting in now. We are thinking of going down in a week. Of course staying safe with full precautions.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 07:32 AM

There was talk that Mexicali began enforcing... long lines going into Mexico there. [this is just something I read, not personal experience]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 10:19 AM

Every job is essential. Every person is essential.

Go, have fun. Use the same safe guards you would in your home town. Hell, you are less likely to bump into ppl in Baja.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 11:56 AM

Essential travel isn't really something that each individual gets to determine according to their personal whims and/or self-centerdness; there are guidelines posted and available for more objective criteria than solely self interest.

I am aware of at least one Nomad who encourages frequent travel whenever and wherever one wants . Some folks have immediate family members with Covid infection and still follow their whims regarding travel.

I just shake my head at how some folks want so much to have their "normal" life activities continue in such abnormal times.

"C'mon.....jump in....the water's fine" said the frog in the pot of water set to boil....

Don't believe everything you think....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 12:32 PM

There have been random stops on the US side and on the Mx side and folks are asked why they want to cross the border. Proof of residency and proof of a home was required each time. We carry our electric bill which supposedly will work for us. So far we have not been stopped. My son and his wife have been stopped twice once once on each of the border.
People asking questions are from immigration.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
There have been random stops on the US side and on the Mx side and folks are asked why they want to cross the border. Proof of residency and proof of a home was required each time. We carry our electric bill which supposedly will work for us. So far we have not been stopped. My son and his wife have been stopped twice once once on each of the border.
People asking questions are from immigration.

How long ago were they stopped?

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 02:56 PM

Not long. Just long enough to show the two items for driver. in both stops.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 03:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There was talk that Mexicali began enforcing... long lines going into Mexico there. [this is just something I read, not personal experience]

There is also recent talk of deeming tourism an essential activity in certain regions, due to its economic importance.* Things change by the week.

*Source: Press conference with Hugo Lopez Gatell

The man's a dangerous idiot and should be fired.

Yesterday he dismissed the need for incoming travelers to produce a negative COVID test, saying "Sick people don't travel".

How does he think a disease turns into a pandemic? It just sprouts wings and flies across the ocean? How does he think it got to Mexico in the first place?

It's mind blowing that this level of ignorance holds the reins of the federal pandemic response.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 03:54 PM

Our last crossing Southbound we did not make the 2PM closing for East and Algodones crossing went to the Mexicali crossing found all the streets to the border blocked with cops. Found the main road leading from the west and found a huge traffic jam - two lanes with folks driving on the shoulder. Looked like the line went on Hwy 98 most of the way to I8. We found a hotel in El Centro and crossed the next AM.
Early closing sure put a huge burden on the only one left for the commuters.
Otherwise crossings south before 2PM has resulted in no lines at all. Thus giving the Mx officials more time to scrutinize the gringos.
=== ==
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 04:22 PM

Our last crossing Southbound we did not make the 2PM closing for East and Algodones crossing went to the Mexicali crossing found all the streets to the border blocked with cops. Found the main road leading from the west and found a huge traffic jam - two lanes with folks driving on the shoulder. Looked like the line went on Hwy 98 most of the way to I8. We found a hotel in El Centro and crossed the next AM.
Early closing sure put a huge burden on the only one left for the commuters.
Otherwise crossings south before 2PM has resulted in no lines at all. Thus giving the Mx officials more time to scrutinize the gringos.
=== ==
Quote:

I am guessing that you do not understand that the US / MX border is the most busy border in the world. It is normal that both sides are occupied w/ long traffic lines every day. The MX official are scrutinizing the gringos? Well, then travel northbound as a non US Citizen and see how the US officials are treating these folks.

[Edited on 2-4-2021 by JC43]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 05:07 PM

Sorry, I meant when did this happen, recently, or back in the earlier days?

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 05:13 PM

When would "earlier days" be?

Pretty vague time line. Earlier than what/when?

Don't believe everything you think....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Sorry, I meant when did this happen, recently, or back in the earlier days?

2 weeks ago
eguillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 07:30 PM

I think I'm now committed to trying to cross at Mexicali a week from today.

However, if we know for sure it's the hassle-ingest crossing, I guess Tijuana or Otay could work . . .

If anyone goes down in the meantime, please update this thread! I'll do the same next week.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
I think I'm now committed to trying to cross at Mexicali a week from today.

However, if we know for sure it's the hassle-ingest crossing, I guess Tijuana or Otay could work . . .

If anyone goes down in the meantime, please update this thread! I'll do the same next week.

Is your travel essential?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 2-4-2021 at 08:33 PM

I crossed north today Mexicali East, nightmare, crossed back south this afternoon Mexicali West, nightmare squared.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
bike4mee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 06:57 AM

can you elaborate on the "nightmare" statement?
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 09:36 AM

From cbp wait time website is 90 minutes north bound at Calexico west, 7 lanes open at time of this post.
s/v Ola Chica

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bike4mee  
Hey nomads
I hope followers start posting on border crossing hassles. Is there going to be a mexican crackdown on non-essential travel? From what I understand there is no problems getting in now. We are thinking of going down in a week. Of course staying safe with full precautions.

All border crossing hassles are not created equal. I have used San Ysidro regularly during the entire pandemic. Zero issues @ the border, in either direction.

Getting into/beyond Ensenada last year (Mar, April, May) required proof of residency @ revision/checkpoint prior to Ensenada proper...I told them I lived on my boat & showed them my Coral marina receipts. Good enough. The revision/checkpoint @ Ensenada wasn't there on my last trip mid-Jan 2021.

Insofar as essential travel, I employ three people, helping support three separate families in Ensenada. They wouldn't have had Christmas had I not gone down, much less much to eat. Essential enough?

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, rather than a long life spent in a miserable way."
-Alan Watts
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2021 at 09:20 PM

Huge electronic sign on highway 5 south saying travel into Mexico only for essential travel but we saw nothing about this once we got across the border in Tj today. No documents being asked for, nada.

My husband Les and I were in separate cars and we both got the green light! yessssssssssssss I had some plants and did not want them taken away...guilty guilty guilty!

Hanging out in Ensenada waiting to head home tomorrow.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.