BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: What's the story on the beach rock art?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 04:35 PM

Some Nomads investigated the geoglyph around Agua Dulce, some years ago... if we are talking the same one... It is to the east of the road to El Mármol. Marv Patchen flying from or to Santa Ynez, spotted it from his plane and published a paper on it... I think with Eve Ewing??

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lance S.  
I suspect the mystery walls at Las Animas and farther south represent late Cochimi cultural adaptation. They were adapting Jesuit construction methods to Cochimi ceremony. The one on the coast is taller than it needs to be for livestock wouldn't you think?
They could be a local variation of the geoglyphs around Agua Dulce. They are all on slopes and sometimes appear in pairs as at Las Animas. There is actually an outlying pair of those Agua Dulce style geoglyphs just inland from Bahia de Los Angeles.

Ten years ago was another Lance here who shared glyphs with us... hmmm, welcome back?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancesf
Here are some coordinates again for Los Sauces.

29 21'18.21"N 114 44'48.70"W Three clustered together, if you follow the river west you will find two more.

29 21'59.33"N 114 44'27.60"W Two faded ones together.

29 20'36.12"N 114 43'54.96"W an older looking and smaller one

Here are two more nearby

29 18'23.81"N 114 44'54.13"W (edited W for N)

29 18'12.63"N 114 44'35.29"W

[Edited on 10-31-2012 by Lancesf]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lance S.
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Lance S.  
I suspect the mystery walls at Las Animas and farther south represent late Cochimi cultural adaptation. They were adapting Jesuit construction methods to Cochimi ceremony. The one on the coast is taller than it needs to be for livestock wouldn't you think?
They could be a local variation of the geoglyphs around Agua Dulce. They are all on slopes and sometimes appear in pairs as at Las Animas. There is actually an outlying pair of those Agua Dulce style geoglyphs just inland from Bahia de Los Angeles.

Ten years ago was another Lance here who shared glyphs with us... hmmm, welcome back?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancesf
Here are some coordinates again for Los Sauces.

29 21'18.21"N 114 44'48.70"W Three clustered together, if you follow the river west you will find two more.

29 21'59.33"N 114 44'27.60"W Two faded ones together.

29 20'36.12"N 114 43'54.96"W an older looking and smaller one

Here are two more nearby

29 18'23.81"N 114 44'54.13"W (edited W for N)

29 18'12.63"N 114 44'35.29"W

[Edited on 10-31-2012 by Lancesf]

Still mortified that I ever put those coordinates up. Figured they had been published. Even now I don't think they have been formally investigated. Maybe Greg can delete those old captured post.

The Agua Dulce ones, two of them anyway, were published as you mentioned. They were investigated by Porcayo fairly recently.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I consider it the same as paint graffiti. Natural areas should not be spoiled by man-made structures. The sense of discovery is ruined when everywhere you go has natural landforms spoiled by man-made structures.

It's nothing like paint graffiti. Paint defaces things, is usually ugly, and has to be removed.
Humans have been moving rocks around since time immemorial. Stacking rocks harms no one and nothing. And it's extremely unusual not to see signs of humans almost anywhere. So people do some cool artistic stacking of rocks on a beach- the plastic garbage that washes up on almost all beaches is 100 times more unnatural.

Do you also object to the pyramids, the ancient ruin sites, the ancient stacked rock walls all over the world?

Rock piles built by stoned surfers from San Clemente are not archaeological treasures. They are litter/graffiti left by a$$hats. I enjoy kicking them over, fixing nature, when I find them in the wilderness.

Go hike in the popular wilderness areas,… you find that if one person stacks rocks, 300 lemmings come along later and leave more stacks. Kick ‘em over!

[Edited on 6-7-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 08:24 PM

Rock piles built by stoned surfers from San Clemente are not archaeological treasures. They are litter/graffiti left by a$$hats. I enjoy kicking them over, fixing nature, when I find them in the wilderness.

The structures pictured on this thread are not "rock piles" - they take quite a bit of skill to construct. Rocks are "litter"??? Because they were moved from one place to another?

Nothing is archeological treasure in its contemporary time. By your measure, cave paintings and rock carvings by ancient peoples are "graffiti".

Surfing, smoking pot and building things out of rocks on the beach sounds like pretty gentle, non-invasive behavior to me. A lot better than leaving a heap of beer cans and garbage in their wake, or strutting around with an AK15 and shooting people.

So you take pleasure in destroying someone else's creative endeavor? According to the mindset you espouse, you should be moving each of those rocks back to where it was. Instead you kick them over, as if that is restoring things to the way they were. The only ass**** in this is you.

Perhaps someone should come along and burn your house down. After all, I'm sure it stands where there was once wilderness until some humans came along and littered it with homes and roads.

With all the horrible things that go on in the world, your ire is directed towards some rocks stacked up on the beach? Go to Ukraine and help them move some rubble and bury dead bodies, maybe you'll develop some perspective.

[Edited on 6-7-2022 by surabi]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 08:33 PM

The structures pictured on this thread are not "rock piles" - they take quite a bit of skill to construct. Rocks are "litter"??? Because they were moved from one place to another?

Nothing is archeological treasure in its contemporary time. By your measure, cave paintings and rock carvings by ancient peoples are "graffiti".

So you take pleasure in destroying someone else's creative endeavor? According to the mindset you espouse, you should be moving each of those rocks back to where it was. Instead you kick them over, as if that is restoring things to the way they were. The only ass**** is you.

People travel to remote areas to enjoy beauty of nature, and sense of undisturbed natural landscape. You a$$hats ruin it for others when you leave your stupid stacked rocks. If you want to stack rocks, do it in your backyard, not on public lands.

Leave no trace!

A$$hats!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 09:20 PM

Calling this art is a misnomer. People have built... something. They wanted to leave a mark, didn't care sh-t what others would think about it. Most of those others don't care sh-t, either. At least, it's not as huge as pyramids, and not as durable.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Calling this art is a misnomer. People have built... something. They wanted to leave a mark, didn't care sh-t what others would think about it. Most of those others don't care sh-t, either. At least, it's not as huge as pyramids, and not as durable.

They are called “ego stones.” They are built by people that seek something to post on Instagram. They think they are creating art, they would not know art if it bit them in the a$$.

Kick ‘em over. It is good exercise, it is good for the soul.
If you see people building ego stones, then stone them.

Woke!

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2022 at 10:25 PM

surabi, well said! Goat is, well goat! Its stacked rocks on a lonely beach in Baja, enjoyed by many. I'll take that over many other things that people do in the "wild".... Goat stay home in your controlled environment, we will all be better for it.
DosMars
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 08:35 AM

I consider it the same as paint graffiti. Natural areas should not be spoiled by man-made structures. The sense of discovery is ruined when everywhere you go has natural landforms spoiled by man-made structures.

It's nothing like paint graffiti. Paint defaces things, is usually ugly, and has to be removed.
Humans have been moving rocks around since time immemorial. Stacking rocks harms no one and nothing. And it's extremely unusual not to see signs of humans almost anywhere. So people do some cool artistic stacking of rocks on a beach- the plastic garbage that washes up on almost all beaches is 100 times more unnatural.

Do you also object to the pyramids, the ancient ruin sites, the ancient stacked rock walls all over the world?

Go hike in the popular wilderness areas,… you find that if one person stacks rocks, 300 lemmings come along later and leave more stacks. Kick ‘em over!

OK, I just have to point out that the "Not Today Hippi" sticker after that post made me literally LOL here at work this morning...

[Edited on 6-7-2022 by DosMars]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 03:38 PM

"Leave no trace" has never referred to moving some natural, endemic materials around. Humans have always created shelters, made firepits, etc, when out in the wilderness. The idea Goat puts forth, that people just go into the wilderness for a hike, bringing with them everything they might need, is a modern-day, weekend warrior new agey attitute towards the natural world.

Leave no trace means take all your garbage and whatever you packed in with you, with you when you leave. It doesn't mean you can't move some rocks or branches or leave some sign that you have been there using the materials found in that place.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 04:59 PM

Humans have always created shelters, made firepits, etc, when out in the wilderness..........
Leave no trace means take all your garbage and whatever you packed in with you, with you when you leave. It doesn't mean you can't move some rocks or branches or leave some sign that you have been there using the materials found in that place.

Those are not shelters built out of necessity. They are exactly "some sign that you have been there" - ego stones, in the Goat's words.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 05:56 PM

Humans have always created shelters, made firepits, etc, when out in the wilderness..........

Those are not shelters built out of necessity. They are exactly "some sign that you have been there" - ego stones, in the Goat's words.

Some sociologists, anthropologists and historians would argue that the urge to create is a basic human drive, just as seeking food and shelter. Humans have been decorating the world around them forever.
Seeing it as an expression of "ego", rather than simply enjoying a creative process, is ridiculous.

In fact, there are birds and other animals which decorate their nests with found objects, and I doubt very much that it has anything to do with an inflated ego.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 06:15 PM

Some sociologists, anthropologists and historians would argue that the urge to create is a basic human drive, just as seeking food and shelter. Humans have been decorating the world around them forever.
Seeing it as an expression of "ego", rather than simply enjoying a creative process, is ridiculous.

In fact, there are birds and other animals which decorate their nests with found objects, and I doubt very much that it has anything to do with an inflated ego.

Have you been hiking in a popular park recently? Those stupid stacked rocks have taken over some spots like weeds. One person stacks rocks, then next 3,000,000 people are lemmings that do the same.

How Stone Stacking Wreaks Havoc on National Parks
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbit-holes/people-are-st...

[Edited on 6-8-2022 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 07:45 PM

Have you been hiking in a popular park recently? Those stupid stacked rocks have taken over some spots like weeds. One person stacks rocks, then next 3,000,000 people are lemmings that do the same.

How Stone Stacking Wreaks Havoc on National Parks
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/rabbit-holes/people-are-st...

[Edited on 6-8-2022 by mtgoat666]

well you do like parks, trains, bikes and socialized medicine....would that be correct?

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 09:03 PM

No, I don't leave that sort of thing behind, but it doesn't offend me to see some stacked rocks, and it's been welcome to find a little lean-to built of driftwood on the lake beach where I used to camp a lot, which provided shelter from the sun.

By your way of thinking, there shouldn't be any signs put up by park rangers, either, cautioning people about dangers and park rules, or trail markers.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 09:15 PM

This is the funniest thread I've seen in a while. "Not today hippie" logo has me in tears.
Don Pisto
Banned

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 09:34 PM

riddle me this, what kind of man is so lonely he resorts to arguing about "stacked rocks"???

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2022 at 09:36 PM

By your way of thinking, there shouldn't be any signs put up by park rangers, either, cautioning people about dangers and park rules, or trail markers.

Not the same thing, stop being obtuse. You are as dumb as a box of rocks! :lol::lol::lol:

If you want to stack rock, do it in your yard and not on public lands.

Woke!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2022 at 05:32 AM

I've been searching for that sticker on Ebay, but no luck. Goat, got a link?

BTW, I have destroyed several illegal firepits on my backcountry travels over the years. Never really bothered with the ducks and cairns, but I have not seen them to the extent the above photo depicts. That is a bit ridiculous. The trail to South Fork Cottonwood Lake I'm taking Monday has a few trail marker rocks on the last climb, most unnecessary, but I'll take another look at them. They never struck me as offensive so far, but goat does have a different take on this worth considering.

Most of what I encounter are just single rocks, marking a trail, nothing too extensive.

John

[Edited on 6-8-2022 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.