BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alaska Airlines ups Mexico service with new route from LAX to La Paz
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 7-3-2024 at 12:59 PM
Alaska Airlines ups Mexico service with new route from LAX to La Paz

Alaska Airlines is bolstering its footprint in Mexico with new nonstop flights launching for the winter season.

In November, the Seattle-based carrier will launch service from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) to La Paz International Airport (LAP). With up to three weekly round trips, Alaska said it will be the only U.S. airline to serve La Paz, the capital of the Mexican state of Baja California Sur. The city sits about 100 miles north of the popular Los Cabos resort area.

Route details: LAX-LAP — launches Nov. 20, operates two to three times weekly.

This route will be operated with Embraer E175 aircraft, which feature 12 seats in first class, 16 in Alaska's Premium class, and 48 seats in the main cabin.

Though this La Paz service is novel for Alaska, it's technically flown to the city before.

Alaska most recently flew to the city in 2013 and prior, with its regional affiliate Horizon Air operating a Dash 8 turboprop aircraft at the time, according to data from aviation analytics firm Cirium.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska-airlines-la-paz-monterr...
https://news.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/alaska-airlines-l...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-3-2024 at 01:27 PM

I never flew into La Paz, but I remember seeing their airplanes coming and going when I visited there. I thought that the reason Alaska quit flying there was because the airport lost customs credentials to be an International airport.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-3-2024 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I never flew into La Paz, but I remember seeing their airplanes coming and going when I visited there. I thought that the reason Alaska quit flying there was because the airport lost customs credentials to be an International airport.

I know that there had not been customs located at LAP for many years. After Alaska left, one had to fly to a mainland destination first, and then hop across to LAP. It was one of the things that stood out to me in seeing this press release. Perhaps it was vice-versa... did Alaska stop flying there, and then customs closed??? I dunno.

[Edited on 7-3-2024 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-3-2024 at 03:27 PM
Files for Los Angeles-La Paz and San Francisco-Cancun Nonstop Service

While the current press release indicates winter season flights. This news item from Alaska Airlines in June indicated they applied for year-round service. Just fyi.

--

SEATTLE, June 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alaska Airlines has applied to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for authority to fly nonstop between Los Angeles and La Paz, Mexico, and between San Francisco and Cancun, Mexico. If approved, the airline's Los Angeles-La Paz flights will operate year-round starting Oct. 30, while its San Francisco-Cancun nonstop service will operate seasonally from Oct. 29 to April 28.

Initially, Alaska plans to offer nonstop service three days a week on both routes.

"These new flights we are hoping to add are a natural extension of our growing route system between the U.S. West Coast and Mexico," said John MacLeod, Alaska's managing director of planning and alliances. "With the growth in leisure travel between San Francisco and Cancun and the increasing popularity of La Paz as a resort destination, we are anticipating strong customer demand for this service."

A DOT decision on the new nonstop routes is expected in July.

Alaska Airlines introduced service to Mexico in 1988. During its winter schedule, the airline operates 38 flights daily serving nine Mexican destinations, including Cancun, Guadalajara, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Loreto, Los Cabos, Manzanillo/Costa Alegre, Mazatlan, Mexico City and Puerto Vallarta.

Alaska Airlines and sister carrier, Horizon Air, together serve 88 cities through an expansive network throughout Alaska, the Lower 48, Canada and Mexico. For reservations visit alaskaair.com. For more news and information, visit the Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air Newsroom at alaskaair.com/newsroom.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-releases/news-release-de...

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-3-2024 at 08:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Perhaps it was vice-versa... did Alaska stop flying there, and then customs closed???

That seems most likely-- that particular customs post existed only to service incoming international flights.

The La Paz flights ceased about the same time the Loreto route was established. Maybe Alaska thought three airports was too many?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2024 at 08:54 PM

Wow. That is fantastic. Thanks for posting Doug.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2024 at 09:06 PM

Good news, lots of folks on the East Cape will be happy for this.
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 04:33 PM

Maybe helpful:
In the mid-late 90's we operated Export Mgmt / Import biz based in So Cal .. we were licensed for all of Mexico - but focused on Cabo ..
To get merchandise there we chose to fly everything via Alaska Airlines using our Commercial Account. Expensive, yes, but back then it was the most dependable freight movement method .. investigated by the FAA and classified + approved as a Known Shipper.

Because we were asked about getting merchandise to La Paz and Loreto, we were told that Loreto and La Paz were not 'as popular' and only opened the routes during snowbird season .. all about the $.

Hopped on to hopefully add something useful to the conversation.
Cheers all .. Lori

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2024 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Perhaps it was vice-versa... did Alaska stop flying there, and then customs closed???

That seems most likely-- that particular customs post existed only to service incoming international flights.

The La Paz flights ceased about the same time the Loreto route was established. Maybe Alaska thought three airports was too many?
I believe it was when Carlos Slim purchased the Loreto Bay development that was failing. The talk at the time was that he subsidized the Alaska flights into Loreto to encourage investment into that project, so Alaska cancelled their flights into La Paz. Maybe the subsidies have stopped?

In Memory of E-57
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2024 at 09:13 AM

IIRC, Alaska Airlines is also considered the best for flying with a dog. Ours is too big (50 pounds) to fit on a lap or under the seat in front of us, which rules out quite a few options.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.