Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Driving USA to Baja, then flying Tijuana to USA
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2024 at 07:58 AM
Driving USA to Baja, then flying Tijuana to USA

Hola amigos! I have a question that I think I know the answer to, but wanted to check with the Baja braintrust in hopes of avoiding any immigration entanglements...

So, a two part question:

1.) Would an FMM obtained when driving into Tijuana from San Diego be all I need to use to fly out from Tijuana to a US airport (will my passport in hand too, of course)? 

2.) For the return flight from USA back to Tijuana, would I show the FMM again, or keep that in my pocket and be issued fresh immigration materials via the usual USA -> Mex process...? If the original FMM is a 180 day version, would be "cashed in" since I used it to exit Mexico on the northbound flight, or still viable?

Muchas gracias for any relevant experience / expertise you can offer!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-23-2024 at 09:54 AM

Valid fmm form should get you thru exit immigration.

Every tourist air entry into mex gets new fmm-type stamp in PP. fmm is not useable for multiple entries.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2024 at 11:28 AM

I've not yet ever flown between Mexico and the US. However, I've crossed between the two countries many times via Baja land borders. Unless something has changed, you keep your FMM when exiting Mexico, and if it is a 180-day FMM, it can be used to re-enter Mexico, as long as your re-entry is within the period of validity for the FMM. I have done this many times at the San Ysidro-Tijuana crossing. Obviously, if there is not much time left on your FMM, it would be better to get a new FMM upon returning to Mexico. But, if you still have considerable time left on the FMM, it could save you the expense of getting a new one.
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2024 at 03:30 PM

When you fly from Mexico to the US, they used to take your FMM.

I don’t know what they are doing now,

The flights into Mexico include the FMM fee and when you go through Mexican immigration at the airport you get a stamp in your passport.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2024 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  
I've not yet ever flown between Mexico and the US. However, I've crossed between the two countries many times via Baja land borders. Unless something has changed, you keep your FMM when exiting Mexico, and if it is a 180-day FMM, it can be used to re-enter Mexico, as long as your re-entry is within the period of validity for the FMM. I have done this many times at the San Ysidro-Tijuana crossing. Obviously, if there is not much time left on your FMM, it would be better to get a new FMM upon returning to Mexico. But, if you still have considerable time left on the FMM, it could save you the expense of getting a new one.

This has nothing to do with flying in and out. OP will get an exit stamp in his passport at the INM desk when flying out. FMM no longer valid. New passport stamp entry on return to Mexico.
Also illegal to leave vehicle in Mexico when he flies out, as FMM it is tied to will no longer be valid.

[Edited on 7-24-2024 by surabi]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 05:11 AM

Not specifically commenting on your travel plans, but you could consider other options, such as parking in Otay Mesa instead of driving vehicle into TJ, and getting your FMM for specific flight travel at the TJ airport. IF they are still issuing FMMs - as some say, might just be a passport stamp. If you get an FMM for travel by car, issued for 180 days for additional vehicle travel in Mexico, it might be taken from you if proffered for air travel. This happened to me - I argued, but it's still good for vehicle travel, but took it anyway.
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 08:28 AM

Muchas gracias mi amigos! Really appreciate your feedback and insights!

FWIW, there are more than one of us driving south, but only one flying from TJ (I simplified the scenario a bit for clarity, in my original post).

So we'll all get 7-day FMMs southbound in the car, and then later if the person flying has their FMM snagged, then their passport stamp upon airport re-entry should have them covered.

Salud!!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 08:45 AM

BajaNaranja, thanks for the added info! I may be doing the same thing this fall, with my son along for the ride south, but he would need to fly back north before I would be ready to return.

Loreto would be the airport, and it should be the same as flying from T.J., but that probably depends on local interpretation of the rules.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
This happened to me - I argued, but it's still good for vehicle travel, but took it anyway.

You were wrong- it isn't "still good for vehicle travel". There aren't different tourist permissions depending on whether you drive or fly. Tourist visas are good for one trip into Mexico. When you leave, that visa is void, regardless of whether it was good for 7 days or 180 days.
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
BajaNaranja, thanks for the added info! I may be doing the same thing this fall, with my son along for the ride south, but he would need to fly back north before I would be ready to return.

Loreto would be the airport, and it should be the same as flying from T.J., but that probably depends on local interpretation of the rules.

Gotcha - I'll report back in mid-August, in case whatever happens is helpful info for planning for your trip with your son!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
This happened to me - I argued, but it's still good for vehicle travel, but took it anyway.

You were wrong- it isn't "still good for vehicle travel". There aren't different tourist permissions depending on whether you drive or fly. Tourist visas are good for one trip into Mexico. When you leave, that visa is void, regardless of whether it was good for 7 days or 180 days.

in baja many gringos just stop to get fmm every 180 days, and cross land border repeatedly in the 180 days. some IMM agents wink and say this is OK, but the written regs dont say this is OK. since there is little enforcement of the fmm single-crossing usage, many avoid spending money and time on extra fmms.

i can tell you that using your pre-existing fmm to cross cbx southbound is not acceptable. try that and they will say "no dice, son."

the land border crossing is not too regulated on mexican side. many gringos cross w/o PP or tourist visa, since there is general ignorance of and virtually no enforcement of mexican immigration law for gringos crossing by land, and usa cbp seems to not care too much about northbound gringos w/o PPs

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

in baja many gringos just stop to get fmm every 180 days, and cross land border repeatedly in the 180 days. some IMM agents wink and say this is OK, but the written regs dont say this is OK. since there is little enforcement of the fmm single-crossing usage, many avoid spending money and time on extra fmms.

i can tell you that using your pre-existing fmm to cross cbx southbound is not acceptable. try that and they will say "no dice, son."

There well might have been a change in the official rules. However, see info via this link (excerpt below):

https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa
"Is it possible to enter and exit Baja multiple times with the same tourist card (FMM)?
Yes. The INM delegate for Baja California Norte announced in September 2015 that the FMM is now multiple entry for land travel in Baja California Norte only." [updated March 2024]

I have used an (old) FMM to re-enter Mexico at San Ysidro-Tijuana crossing, and then flown from Tijuana to Mexico City with that same FMM. However, it has been a number of years since I did this.

[Edited on 7-25-2024 by cupcake]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 12:39 PM

There well might have been a change in the official rules. However, see info via this link (excerpt below):

"Is it possible to enter and exit Baja multiple times with the same tourist card (FMM)?
Yes. The INM delegate for Baja California Norte announced in September 2015 that the FMM is now multiple entry for land travel in Baja California Norte only."

Huh? According to an insurance broker’s website, an unnamed INM official said something 9 years ago…

Waiting to see “official rules.” Usually that is a written document…

I will admit to using my FMM for multiple land border entries,… but it probably only works for me because there is little to no enforecement,… except at cbx where multiple entry on one fmm was rejected by CBX agents.

Woke!

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 01:28 PM

Yes. The INM delegate for Baja California Norte announced in September 2015 that the FMM is now multiple entry for land travel in Baja California Norte only."

Huh? According to an insurance broker’s website, an unnamed INM official said something 9 years ago…

I will admit to using my FMM for multiple land border entries,… but it probably only works for me because there is little to no enforecement,… except at cbx where multiple entry on one fmm was rejected by CBX agents.

I am seeing the same thing on a number of sites:

https://www.discoverbaja.com/fmm-faqs/
"Can I use my FMM for multiple entries?
While the old law said that FMM tourist permits were only valid for one use into Mexico, the INM has recently said that FMM tourist permits can be used for multiple entries in and out of Mexico, through the end date of the permit."

[Edited on 7-24-2024 by cupcake]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 01:33 PM

I have used an (old) FMM to re-enter Mexico at San Ysidro-Tijuana crossing, and then flown from Tijuana to Mexico City with that same FMM. However, it has been a number of years since I did this.

You keep conflating things which are irrelevant. If you were allowed to walk or drive into Northern Baja with a tourist visa which you had entered on previously and which had a still valid expiry date, taking a domestic flight using that visa would not be an issue, because as far as any immigration check at the airport is concerned, they have no idea that you entered a second time on that visa- all they see is the expiry date on the visa.

And as far as official INM policy on multiple entries, while some INM agents may allow it at some border crossings in Baja, it states clearly on the FMM form that it is valid for the length of your stay (up until the expiry date). When you exit Mexico, your "stay" is over.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 01:37 PM

I am seeing the same thing on a number of sites:

https://www.discoverbaja.com/fmm-faqs/
"Can I use my FMM for multiple entries?
While the old law said that FMM tourist permits were only valid for one use into Mexico, the INM has recently said that FMM tourist permits can be used for multiple entries in and out of Mexico, through the end date of the permit."

[Edited on 7-24-2024 by cupcake]

Gotta love the unwritten, secret laws. Spoken of only by unnamed individuals, and never documented in writing.

Woke!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 01:52 PM

Several years ago, the business owners in Tijuana that cater to American tourists walking across the border complained to the governor of BC about requiring daytrippers to get a new FMM every time they walked across, even if a short-duration FMM was free. INM rules were relaxed to enable pedestrians multiple entries on an FMM that hasn't expired. At least, that's what happened at the Tijuana pedestrian crossings. Of course, nobody checks if you're driving across. Airport rules follow a different process.

So, are you walking, driving, or flying? The rules differ, or at least the enforcement of the rules differs. I've shown the same, unexpired FMM many times walking across at San Ysidro, and have never produced it when driving across.

[Edited on 7-24-2024 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2024 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Several years ago, the INM rules were relaxed to enable pedestrians multiple entries on an FMM that hasn't expired. At least, that's what happened at the Tijuana pedestrian crossings.

I haven't been able to find anything official about this online, though in the past I remember seeing it. However, my personal experience has been the same as yours.

https://soniadiazmexico.com/tourist-visas/
Tourist Card - FMM
"The back of the form confirms it is for one entry; however, in Baja California it may be used for multiple entries."

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

You keep conflating things which are irrelevant. If you were allowed to walk or drive into Northern Baja with a tourist visa which you had entered on previously and which had a still valid expiry date, taking a domestic flight using that visa would not be an issue, because as far as any immigration check at the airport is concerned, they have no idea that you entered a second time on that visa- all they see is the expiry date on the visa.

And as far as official INM policy on multiple entries, while some INM agents may allow it at some border crossings in Baja, it states clearly on the FMM form that it is valid for the length of your stay (up until the expiry date). When you exit Mexico, your "stay" is over.

I haven't conflated anything, nor have I posted anything which is irrelevant. Regarding a flyer's FMM, we don't know what information is available to airport personnel. You say "all they see is the expiry date", which might or might not be true. They might have access to more information than just the expiry date, in an electronic database. Therefore, since we don't know for sure what information they have, my advising that I encountered no problems using my FMM, in the situation described, is not irrelevant.

Regarding the FMM stating on the back that it is valid for a single entry only, I know this. I even linked to a website previously that states this. However, the exception for northern Baja, i.e. San Ysidro-Tijuana crossing, where the FMM can be used for multiple entries, is not just something that is done at the whim of individual INM Agents. This was an official directive, I remember it clearly, as it was much discussed on the Lonely Planet website, back when their Thorntree Forum was still in existence. Nothing I have posted in regards to this item of discussion has been conflated or irrelevant.

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 03:48 PM

Below is a link to Nomad David K's website, Viva Baja. David thinks highly enough of Baja Bound Insurance, that he links to their website regarding FMM issues and more. This is the same company I linked to previously in this thread.

https://vivabaja.com/advice-on-driving/
"The FMM can be free for visits of 7 days (6 nights) or less. For up to 180 days, the fee is 717 pesos, about $40 (U.S.) dollars, currently. You keep the FMM until it expires, for multiple auto trips south. Unlike the flying FMM, it does not get returned to INM when you leave Mexico." [written in 2023]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.