BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Raquel and Larry
scjessup

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 12:19 AM

I just learned of Raquel's murder this evening and am devastated. My family and I have stayed with Larry and Raquel several times in the last four years and feel like we've lost a great friend. An amazing woman and unbelivable family

I came to the board tonight hoping to find a posting about how we could contribute and pay respects to the family.

We would like to contriubte to the scholorship fund that Raquel and Larry mentioned for extended education beyond what is offered locally. If anyone could provide a contact, we would greatly appreciate it.

Peace, please
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 05:53 PM
Wanna play 'What if'?

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I thought Larry, not Raquel was the American of the two.

I wonder if they will try harder if it is reported that Raquel is Mexicana?

The killer turns out to be a gringo?

Unfortunately, there are plenty of gringo scumbags down here.

Has this crossed anyone's mind?

[Edited on 9-1-2006 by Dave]

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-31-2006 at 06:22 PM

Dave... I was commenting on the news report that said Raquel was an American... She was Mexicana... I was concerned that authorities wouldn't try as hard if they thought Raquel was a gringa.

The last I heard the alledged killer was an ex employee (ie. Mexican).

It doesn't matter what the killer was... he could be from Mars. Raquel... a real neat lady, was murdered.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-1-2006 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Wanna play 'What if'?

The killer turns out to be a gringo?

Unfortunately, there are plenty of gringo scumbags down here.

Has this crossed anyone's mind?

Well, then they should rot in a Mexican prison, just like if the killer is a Mexican.

I don't think anyone here would disagree.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 06:11 AM

David K.

Please tell me why you think the authorities would not investigate the death of an American citizen "as hard" as a Mexican national?

Quote:
Dave... I was commenting on the news report that said Raquel was an American... She was Mexicana... I was concerned that authorities wouldn't try as hard if they thought Raquel was a gringa.

It doesn't matter what the killer was... he could be from Mars. Raquel... a real neat lady, was murdered.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 06:49 AM

Brutal sensless and tragic. I have never felt comfortable in the catavinia area and avoid it like the plauge. If they catch this a-hole, the death penalty is too kind.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:56 AM

As reported from contacts in BOLA...

An American citizen who goes by the name of "Reno" was apprehended yesterday as a prime suspect. It is not known at this time if Reno is his given name or a nic-name.

The second suspect is reportedly a disgruntled ex employee who is a Mexican citizen has not been apprehended
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:58 AM

todays San diego info.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/tijuana/20060902-9...
Almejas

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:13 AM

There have been other recent "reports from BOLA" that were untrue/rumors. Please do you know for a fact Reno was apprehended? Also, in case anyone recalls a recent post by someone last week, Reno was mentioned as Larry's son and that is definitely not true. Reno was run out of BOLA years ago for a number of thefts about town. The town organized a posse with police, horses, ATVs, etc to find him, but he was never seen again. I hope he looked like this when he heard them coming: :wow::o:wow::o
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
David K.

Please tell me why you think the authorities would not investigate the death of an American citizen "as hard" as a Mexican national?

Quote:

Gee, I guess common sense is the police would try harder for your own 'employers' (ie citizens)... Just a wish on my part that they try as hard as possible!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:33 AM

it doesn't mater who you are. if there is something in it for the police they will work on it. such as money to recover. if there isn't they wont do much

[Edited on 9-2-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 04:13 PM

Dave,

That is soo untrue. The police in Mexico have very limited sources, granted, but to make a statement like that is absurd. As far as Bruce is concerned,what he posted is 100% horsechit. Im sure he has alot of contact with the authorities and can speak first hand!?!? If there is'nt any money in it for them they wont do much.....Bruce PLEASE! What kind of statement is that? You absolutly have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

You really dont put much faith in the people that are there to protect you. Sure there are faults in the Mexican "system" of police work and slowly they are being corrected but that is what we have now. Bad cops are everywhere not just in Baja. This has been going on since Cortez stepped of the boat and it will take time but now there is the Ministerio Publico. If the police have treated you wrong-----go to them and watch what happens. I've seen how they work and they are fair and will help with you concerns and complaints in a professional manner.

Both of you have posted close to 13,000 times regarding your knowledge of Baja but I think you had better leave this one alone......

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 05:00 PM

Mr Lips I work with the police almost every day and I have some that are Friends. I get my info from them, and they will tell you right out that what I say is correct. On what do you base you negative statements toward me?:P

My wife was assaulted and robed in front of the bank and by midnight all three of the bad guys were in jail. why did that happen? because there was 150,000 pesos to recover which they did + 10,000 dollars they had robed from someone else. we got only 15, 000 pesos back and they lost the rest.

when my store was robed they recovered everything and caught the boy. I got nothing back and the boy was home the same day:no:

I had a Friend murdered and the Ministerio Publico would not investigate because his family didn't have 4000 pesos to pay them :O I know a lot of story's like this.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 05:39 PM

Ok Bruce. You are absolutly right and I am soo wrong for expressing my position, I apoligize. I did'nt know you had "friends" that were cops and Im sure your information has to be correct and everything in my post was total information, that Im sure if some people believed, they may get the wrong idea.

I have investigated many crimes in Mexico including kidnappings--murders, actually in every state in Mexico, as well as every country in Centra America and South America and have spoke at at seminars, and have written several articles in many major newspapers in the U.S. regarding the Mexican Judical system, and have friends in very important positions in the Mexican Government and Im sure from your few experiences and talking with your cop friends you have to be an expert on this subject. Please Bruce continue to post as many things on this board that you know everything about. Im sure people will be well informed with your total knowledge of the Mexican judicial system.

Im not getting in a peeing contest with you Bruce. You believe what you know to be true and I wont argue with that. What I will argue is that there are different avenues that you can take now more than before in Mexico if you feel that you have been mistreated by the police.

When you post on this board people that do not live in Mexico wonder if this is really what happens, and sometimes it does, but for the most part you are not "the victim" when confronted by the local authorities.

I am sorry about your wife being robbed and not having your money returned.

[Edited on 27/12/2005 by lizard lips]

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 06:02 PM

Quote:
Ok Bruce. You are absolutly right and I am soo wrong for expressing my position, I apoligize. I did'nt know you had "friends" that were cops and Im sure your information has to be correct and everything in my post was total information, that Im sure if some people believed, they may get the wrong idea. I have not investigated many crimes in Mexico and do not know the system and Im sure from your few experiences and talking with your cop friends you have to be an expert on this subject. Please Bruce continue to post as many things on this board that you know everything about. Im sure people will be well informed with your total knowledge of the Mexican judicial system.

I am sorry about your wife being robbed and not having your money returned.

you had some good info and most of your statements were correct. what I am objecting to is your attack On my info and your attitude that every is the same every where and with every one. If you would have left the personal attacks out of your post you wouldn't have me coming back at you now. maybe you should think before you write.:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Jim

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech.... maybe you should think before you write.:light:

Gosh Bruce, what a novel idea! But, then, if all posters did that there may not be any information at all. :lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 06:24 PM
Cops and Robbers

Often they are the same, especially in Mexico.

Bruce is speaking from his own firsthand experience which may, or may not, be typical of Mexican Law enforcement as a whole, but is more likely to be true than not.

It is a historical Fact that a corrupt legal system and corrupt law enforcement officers will behave in their own best interests without respect for justice over those whom they hold power. We've had plenty of experience with that in the U.S. over many decades, the most flagrant being the "Prohibition" period. It may be the case that the officer who accepts petty traffic bribes and other minor corruptions will act differently when confronted with a major crime, but it's highly unlikely.

In Mexico, we have a multitude of cases over the years where the corruption extended all the way to the top among the Federal Law Enforcement officers and the Army Generals, many of whom were actively facilitating the major drug operations so it should be no surprise if lesser officers acted in a similar manner.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:25 PM

Im very sorry if you felt I attacked you Bruce. That was not my intent however I am very upset everytime I read somewhere when an individual writes something and make a general statement that "If this happened to me then it must happen everywhere in Mexico".

As you can see I do support the police and everyone should. Your post certaintly painted a bleak picture that most people have of "Mexican Police" and what you posted is your own personal incident and knowledge you have attained from your friends. Why then do you live where you do especially when this horrible robbery happened to your wife? Is this what you can expect when it happens again and again. You are just going to accept that if someone breaks into your home or office that you will never get any satisfaction from the authorities that are there to protect you and your property. If that is the case then move but please dont post such negativity.

Hundreds of people read this web site every day and Im sure some of them believe you and your general statements and that is what I was most concerned. Why dont you post something that the police did that was honorable. I am positive that you know a few stories. Share some with us.

I wont take a bullet for you Bruce but just maybe that Mulege cop with four kids will.

As far as David Ks statement is concerned that the police will protect the Mexicans more than the Americans is just down right untrue. He and I have to talk.

Bruce, sorry about the "horsechit" thing. I was on a roll and peeed. I know you are a good man and mean well. I really want someday to come down to Mulege and meet you and your family if can grant me that invitation.

Have a great weekend holiday.

Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 9-2-2006 at 07:44 PM
Out of the frying pan...

Quote:
I really want someday to come down to Mulege and meet you and your family if can grant me that invitation.

It seems that Bruce took your advice and is moving to Ensenada. Where cops are cops and the sheep are nervous.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-2-2006 at 08:33 PM

I live in hopes of the day when enough positive examples of Mexican Police behaviour vanquish forever the "conventional wisdom" of the Mexican people, above all, regarding endemic corruption and the fatalism of those without the means to influence said behavior.

This attitude of distrust and skepticism was not invented by gringos, regardless of experience. It is a given, reinforced daily by contact with neighbors and friends. Law enforcement in Mexico has a long way to go to turn around this negative image, an image not altogether undeserved.

So, whaddawedo? Behavioral scientists have demonstrated that positive reinforcement works better than negative. Let's find, honor and publicize the good guys. And then see if it makes any difference.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.