BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Newbie Wants To Go Fishing BUT Needs Advice
MizterF

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 08:52 PM
Newbie Wants To Go Fishing BUT Needs Advice

Marie-Rose, my wife, has been encouraging me to log on..... so here I am! After spending this afternoon reading all of the info. on fishing gear I have taken her advise and am posting my questions so that I may learn from all of your experiences.
This spring (Feb. - Apr.) we will be spending three months in Baja Sur at our Casa in Todos Santos. In '04 I had the great experience of fishing for a brief time off of La Perla just south of Mulege. I was in a friend's inflatable and we managed to have a little luck. For approx. the past 10 years I have been flyfishing British Columbia's smaller lakes in my bellyboat. I am now ready to "gear up" for some Baja fishing.
At this point I am looking to purchase an Achilles 11'2" inflatable with a 15 hp. four stroke Yamaha. I want a boat that I can feel safe in but also transport with my VW Vanagon between Victoria, B.C. and Todos Santos. What are your opinions on this size of boat? Any experiences with this brand of boat? Motor? Is two stroke better than four stroke?
Also I am wanting to get the fishing gear required without having to finance my Casa to do it. From my reading I realize that ideally I should have a few rods. If you could buy only one set up for trolling/casting and one set up for flyfishing what would they be? Size? Brand? etc. With Christmas not too far away I am wanting to write my letter to "santa" and provide some helpful details.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 10:13 PM

I'm not a flyfisherman so I will leave comments to those who are. Whistler's advice for a conventional outfit is right on the money. If you go with the Torium over the Trinidad you have a good down payment on a fly outfit.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2006 at 10:16 PM

I sent you a u2u as my response if off topic.

Iflyfish
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 07:15 AM

I was waiting for your post to say "since I have a house in Todos Santos, will be fishing a lot from Pt. Lobos, I bought a big strong boat with a big strong motor, a tractor to launch and haul on this notoriously dangerous beach." Then I expected the questions about gear. If you are gonna fish around your Baja home in a rubber boat you are one bad dude. I salute you.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 07:47 AM

Here's my 2 cents;

I own a 10' Zodiak with insert wood floor and a 9.9, 2 stroke.
We have used ours extensively in Bahia Conception and La Ventana and enjoyed many calm days of near-shore fishing.
Other than easy launching though, it is very limited unless you are under 40 and like discomfort.
If you select this boat for use mainly on the pacific side, you will not enjoy it as much. Shore break, wind and waves over 1 foot make for a very bouncy and wet ride.

BTW, Achilles are good boats, I've known lot's of people who own them.

2 strokes are lighter and "get up" faster. This means easier to carry to the beach and more balanced with your boat. My 10 footer will zoom with a 6 hp but I use a 9.9 so I can plane out with 2 adults,2 kids and gear. If most use is with 2 or less passengers, I would consider a 9.9, 2 or four stroke.

While mine was a great dive platform, that was for short distance runs while wearing a wetsuit anyway.

This year we are bringing the 14' alum boat and 15 hp, 2 stroke car-topped on the F350. I will be FISHING this trip !!!!
Maybe the center console next year ???

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2006 at 11:31 AM

My additions:

Saltwater flyfishing gear can get expensive. However, good flyrods have really come down in price. I would recommend looking into one of those Temple Fork Outfitter rods. A 2 piece ran for $100 and a 4 piece was $190. They have several models - I suggest the fast action one (it's grey with Lefty Kreh's signature on it). I haven't found any good, reasonably priced saltwater flyreels. I own a Billy Pate which ran me over $400 and I'm always afraid of having it stolen. Perhaps the reels have come down in price also.

You may also try the pacific lagoons with your inflatable. They start from Mag Bay and extend all the way to the Guerrero Negro area. The fish are small but it's a flyfisherman's paradise.
MizterF

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:47 AM

Thank you for all of the useful and generous advice on rods and reels from which I can now start my shopping list for "santa". My original plan was to get an inflatable (11'2") for the BC lakes where I can flyfish in the spring and fall. I had given up on trying to find a boat suitable for both this and Baja. However many of the sales people told me that they had numerous customers (?) who fished Baja waters in their similar sized inflatables. I assume these people are near-shore fishing in the Sea Of Cortez.
I am still uncertain as to the direction I should take re: the motor. Is there any problem with repairs in Baja on Yamaha motors? Any more thoughts on 2 vs 4 stroke? I think I will stick to my plan of getting a 15 hp as their is no physical size difference and the weight difference is very little.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 08:23 PM

If weight or cost isn't really an issue for you I would definitely go with the 4 stroke. It's quiet, it doesn't stink and you can idle all day without a burp.

I wouldn't think Yamaha are an issue down there. In recent years in Baja just as here in SoCal, Yamaha 4 strokes seems to be becoming the engine of choice. Well before I get flamed or start a new controversy let me back that off and just say they seem to be rather popular.

I have a Yamaha 225 4 stroke and even though that might be a tad much for an inflatable:lol: it is so quiet I actually have to turn off my bait tank pump to hear if the engine is running. I have well over 400 hours on it so far and the only problem I know of, though it hasn't been an issue, is I am sure there are dings in my flywheel from the number of times I have tried to crank it over when it was already running:lol:
One would think I would have learned by now but I really need to post a little sign above the ignition that says. "Check tach BEFORE cranking".

Just ensure that whatever vessel you decide on that you don't exceed the maximum hp. rating for that specific boat.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 10:14 PM

Mr.F,
I am repeating what I posted in another string, and I am also giving you this information as a novice. But I did do some research and have some limited experience.

Regarding the boat- I think your inflatable boat is too small and light for the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez. You would have to check weather reports for calm weather and stay close to shore. The waters off Todos Santos are treacherous. In the Sea of Cortez, a strong wind and large swells can come up very suddenly. A Chubasco can appear and you have no chance.

Regarding motors, I have a Johnson 90, 2 stroke with an automatic oil mixer. This is only because it came with the 20' panga that I bought used. Initially I had fuel feed problems. The guy I bought the panga from kept his mechanic on it until he found the problem: a crack in a plastic vent near the bottom of the gas tank. I had tried everything but I never thought to look for a vent near the bottom of the tank. Apparently neither did the mechanic. It took him weeks of trial and error until he discovered it. Now it runs beautifully! The motor has low hours and is supposedly easier to work on than 4 strokes. Having said that, 4 strokes seem to be preferred. My panga has a center consul, fish finder, compass, marine radio and bimini top. It is the quintessential boat for Baja. Whatever motor you get, you will find mechanics everywhere that can work on them. One other precaution; I would look for a kicker motor, just to get you to shore in case the main motor malfunctions.

Regarding rod and reel: Of course the seasoned fishermen have multiple equipment; one for each kind of fish and fishing mode.
I consulted a Cabelas expert (I have some trust, huh?). I asked him the same question as you: "If I had to choose one rod and reel for multiple uses, what do you recommend?"
He said, and I bought a Shimano Torium reel and a Cabelas Salt Striker Rod combo. The reel has a 6.2:1 gear ratio. I notice this reel was also recommended by Whistler in this string. I haven't gotten to use mine yet, but I will when I return to Mulege in January.

Diver mentioned fishing in the Bay of Conception and La Ventana. The Bay of conception is more sheltered and calmer than the open Sea of Cortez....usually. La ventana I have no experience with, but it is one of the best Wind Surfing capitals of the world.....What does that tell you? I didn't even know that wind surfers trolled at 90 MPH :lol:

One other thing: it gets colder there in the winter than you may think. Prepare for that. Good Luck!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2006 at 10:20 PM

La Ventana is only 20 minutes from Los Muertos.
The mornings are usually calm even if it does blow later in the day.
When ther wind doesn't blow, ya gotta go fishing !!
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:10 PM
MisterF...

You will be a little limited on where and when you can fish with an inflatable but any thing that floats is better than nothing! I have fished the cortez in super pangas, 19' aluminums, mother ships, inflatables and now Im heading down for T-day with my latest boat..a kayak. I think you should consider 2 rigs in addition to your fly rod. Pick up a 7' lite/med (10-20lb) action rod with a baitcast reel, I use the abu garcia ambasador 6500 C3 or a Calcutta 400 spooled with 10-12 lb test and 20lb test flro carbon leader. This rig can be used for most inshore fishing to cast krocs, plastics and troll the inshore reefs with rapalas or rebels. My second rig would be a 6'6" med (20-50lb) action stick with Penn 500 type reel spooled with 25lb test and 80lb floro leader for live bait fishing on the bottom, yo-yoing iron and trolling. should be able to pick up both for $150-$250 depending on how extravagent you want to get with the reels. Get your self some sabikis bait rigs for catching live bait, an assortment of live bait hooks, torpedo sinkers from 1 oz-12oz, a handfull of 1.5 oz krocs, some lead heads and plastics, a few trolling lures like rapala, rebel or mirro lure in assorted sizes and colors and a few spools of extra line and you should be set to rip the lips off of almost anything that swims in the cortez! I have caught yellow tail, jack crevelle, marlin, sailfish, dorado, tuna, giant squid, triggers, grouper, cabrilla and numerous others using those 2 set ups and tackle over the last 25 years fishing the cortez. Have fun....

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2006 at 04:18 PM

bajabum

Great post. Now I have the picture I have been looking for. Now to rummage through the garage, then vamanoos a la playa!!!!

Thanks,

Iflyfish when I am not online sometimes

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.