Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NAYARIT
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 10:38 AM
NAYARIT

Any of my fellow Nomads have any info/photos on Nayarit in general and Teacapan in particular?????Planning on spending the winter exploring the coast, gonna start out in Teacapan.....see where it goes

Ojos windy and cold and I'll need a palm tree fix by then!

Capt. George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 11:43 AM

I believe Teacapan is in Sinaloa.

I have spent a lot of time in the Rincon de Guayabitos area including Lo de Marcos, Playa Chacala, San Pancho, La Penita, etc. This area is approx 50 miles north of Puerto Vallarta and 60 or 70 miles or so south of San Blas.

This section of the Nayarit coast is stunningly beautiful---a lot of tropical vegetation (more so than many coastal areas further south) and beautiful beaches, each with its own distinct characteristics. There are many affordable hotels ($25-90) and restaurants in these towns. Prices increase when you get to Sayulita, the last little seaside spot in Nayarit before you cross the hills to Vallarta---gringos are slowly creeping north.

I visit this area during the summer or early fall when the visitors are strictly Mexican tourists (mainly from Guadalajara), but I know that during the winter, the bulk of the visitors are Canadians.

The San Blas area is attractive as well, but the presence of jejenes (tiny biting sandflies) there discourages a lot of tourism. San Blas is on the southern edge of the huge swamp that also encompasses Teacapan.

Santiago Ixcuintla (north of San Blas) and Tepic (the capital of Nayarit in the sierra on the highway from Mazatlan to Guadalajara) are two nice cities that are worth visiting. Both are typical small cities that are interesting and almost completely untouched by foreign tourists.

If you want more specifics, I will be happy to attempt to supply them.

I have a lot of good photos from a trip last month, but unfortunately, I have never been able to figure out how to reduce the size to post them.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 11:46 AM

Geo.

Great area in the winter, but go further south to a place called Tenacatica, a great place to fish and spend the winter. Early December thru March great Dorado fishing.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 12:08 PM

larry thanks for getting back so quickly! comitan, how did you make out with the camper? get all the parts etc. we got out Lobo fixed and re-instated our FM-3's while in La Paz....

Unfortuneately the Florida digs still for sale....tough market.

regards cap'n g

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 12:47 PM

If you get to San Blas, like Larry says put, on lots of repellant then go to Torinos bar. Watch where you sit if you arn't at the bar. They're are live alligators in a jungle setting right next to the patrons tables.
This is the way it was long ago..........I hope it's all still there. I know the bugs are.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 02:35 PM

Tapec (Ta-peak) is the biggest city near San Blas. Yes, there are mosquitos for and hour in the morning and an hour a dusk. But it is beautiful there. They have shrimp farms and cayman crocs and lots of beautiful women. Enjoy, Capt. George.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 02:40 PM

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Teacapan+&bt...

backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 02:58 PM

I spent two months in Rincon de Guaybitos, a long time ago. It was wonderful then, probably a wal-mart there now. Bugs were pretty bad, fishing was fantastic and Capn. Sharky is right about the ladies there.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
Tapec (Ta-peak)

I think it's Tepic, Sharky. You're close though.

[Edited on 8-7-2007 by DENNIS]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 03:16 PM

Tepic is a beautiful little town. We landed there on the train from Mexicali, all 26 hours on a wooden seat. Ah, to be young again.

I also noticed the very attractive women when I went through there almost 30 years ago. The fact that a nursing school was there may have had something to do with that!

Also, do visit Sayulita, yes it may be more developed than the towns to the north but it is a very beautiful spot and was bug free on my visit.

I also enjoyed Barra de Navidad south of Puerto Vallarta just north of Manzanillo, if you venture that far south.

Have a great visit to a wonderful area of Mexico.

Ken
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 03:33 PM

Another place I havn't seen since the mid sixties is Punta Mita. Seen it called Punta De Mita as well but, same place, north of PV. We camped there for a night and we were the only signs of human life around. One little falling-over palapa. I googled Punta Mita recently and couldn't believe my eyes.
Oh well, I have the memories.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 03:41 PM

I also spent a night sleeping on the floor of the Tepic bus station waiting to catch one in the AM to PV. I slept soundly and awoke at sunrise to what I was sure was Little Big Horn. About a million Indians. Tepic, at that time had a large indigenious population.

Back to San Blas.......... There's an old Spanish fort up top one of the hills that still has old rusty cannons at the perimmiter walls. In fact, that was about all that was left. Again, that was mid sixties.
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Another place I havn't seen since the mid sixties is Punta Mita. Seen it called Punta De Mita as well but, same place, north of PV. We camped there for a night and we were the only signs of human life around. One little falling-over palapa. I googled Punta Mita recently and couldn't believe my eyes.
Oh well, I have the memories.

Punta Mita was taken over in the Mexican equivalent of eminent domain a few years ago---the local villagers were evicted after armed resistance---and there is now a Four Seasons luxury hotel and golf course there. Too bad.
larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I spent two months in Rincon de Guaybitos, a long time ago. It was wonderful then, probably a wal-mart there now. Bugs were pretty bad, fishing was fantastic and Capn. Sharky is right about the ladies there.

I have been going to Guayabitos since 1990 and was there last month---it has changed very little during that time. It is a wonderful place.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I also spent a night sleeping on the floor of the Tepic bus station waiting to catch one in the AM to PV. I slept soundly and awoke at sunrise to what I was sure was Little Big Horn. About a million Indians. Tepic, at that time had a large indigenious population.

Back to San Blas.......... There's an old Spanish fort up top one of the hills that still has old rusty cannons at the perimmiter walls. In fact, that was about all that was left. Again, that was mid sixties.

Capt. George,

If you have'nt discovered the Huichol Art work, do search it out while in that area. Dennis reminded me, I'm sure these were the "Indigenious" people he was referring to. They produce beautiful beaded artwork. There's much more to the story of the Huichol that is interesting as well. Picture below is of a piece about 8"H by 6"W. Carved wood with beads applied.

Ken

[Edited on 8-6-2007 by tripledigitken]
sunslim

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:50 PM
Nayarit

Quote:
Teacapan is a dreary town in the middle of now where surrounded by swampy lands. In southern Sinaloa and northern Nayarit the mountains are aways inland so the coastal area is flat and swampy. In southern Nayarit the mountains are closer to the ocean so the topography is more interesting with some nice beaches but much of the vegetation is thorn forest. It is much nicer farther south, south of Puerto Vallarta, where the mountains come right to the ocean and they are covered in tropical vegation.
]Originally posted by Capt. George
Any of my fellow Nomads have any info/photos on Nayarit in general and Teacapan in particular?????Planning on spending the winter exploring the coast, gonna start out in Teacapan.....see where it goes

Capt. George
sunslim

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by sunslim
Teacapan is a dreary town in the middle of now where surrounded by swampy lands. In southern Sinaloa and northern Nayarit the mountains are aways inland so the coastal area is flat and swampy. In southern Nayarit the mountains are closer to the ocean so the topography is more interesting with some nice beaches but much of the vegetation is thorn forest. It is much nicer farther south, south of Puerto Vallarta, where the mountains come right to the ocean and they are covered in tropical vegation.
Oops! The post "a dreary town" was mine but I put my comment above the quote.
I see things are still as difficult as ever for me to post here. With my old computer I could not log in but could only post by clicking quote and then logging in and posting. I was hoping with my new computer and Vista it might be different but it is the same. I wonder if it has something to do with my ISP.

Capt. George
sunslim

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 07:11 PM
Nayarit

Quote:
Quote:
Oops again! It is even harder for me to post now as after I "quote" the way it is arranged it doesn't make much sense.
]Originally posted by sunslim
Quote:
Originally posted by sunslim
Oops! The post "a dreary town" was mine but I put my comment above the quote.
I see things are still as difficult as ever for me to post here. With my old computer I could not log in but could only post by clicking quote and then logging in and posting. I was hoping with my new computer and Vista it might be different but it is the same. I wonder if it has something to do with my ISP.

Capt. George
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 10:26 PM

Teacapan is on many snowbird's winter migration route down the Pacific mainland, and for some, their destination. Its a smal town with just enough to keep visitors close for a few days before they must make a trip to the larger centre of Esquinapa to revitalise supplies. Another option is to drive on past Esquinapa, and northward to Mazatlan, to shop for the day.
There are miles of continuous beach that stretch to the northwest from town which locals sometimes use as a road. Liberally spaced along it are a handful of RV campgrounds. One that is close to town that offers parking and water, and not much else, is favoured by some for its "almost free" status.
One can stand near town, in the state of Sinaloa, and view Nayarit just on the other side of the bay, but it would take several hours of driving to get to that location should that be your wish.
Agriculture dominates the region, but fishing is big in the town of Teacapan, often carried out amid the multitude of sea channels. Getting out into deep water apprears to be a tricky thing depending on the wnds and tides.
Have visited only during November and March but then always see familiar faces from up north.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 03:07 PM

really aprreciate all the input...Nomads, a great site...

any info or recent knowledge of the robalo fishing in Teacapan??

gracias...........cap'n g

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.