Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Protection Question
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 10:04 AM
Protection Question

Hello all,
This may be a strange question but here goes...
I'm heading down on Saturday for a 2 week solo surf trip.
At home I keep a 8" piece of heavy copper cable wrapped w/ duct tape under my seat for protection, never have had to use it but it would certaily hurt the hell out of someone if warranted. My question is, could I get into trouble at a check point if it were found? Would it be considered a weapon by federales? I'm not by any means a violent person but it doesn't hurt to be prepared in this day and age but I'm wondering if it is best to leave it behind. Wanted to open this up to the Nomads for opinion/discussion.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 10:15 AM

It all depends on who stops you, how they feel, and how you and they act.

Maybe I would suggest my option. Which may kill two birds with one stone.

Get a large "D" cell Maglite flashlight. I have a 4 cell LED version I got for about $35. It's very bright and the batteries last a long time. It also has a good range at night.

It's 15" long and pretty heavy. I've never had to use it for protection; but, I use it as a flashlight all the time. It's even filled in as a hammer on occasion to pound in tent stakes, etc..

I find having a flashlight handy in your car to be very important. I have used it to warn oncoming drivers of road hazards, found things I've dropped, etc..

And no worries with the police, etc.. it's just a flashlight.. just like theirs..

You can also find some brackets to hold it in place, or find a way to secure it so it won't lodge itself behind your brake pedal, etc..

http://www.maglite.com/D_Cell_LED.asp
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 10:49 AM

I doubt you would have any problem with your cable being considered a weapon. I would be hesitent to use it though, most bad guys are well armed, somewhat deperate and illogical. Avoidance is probably your best tact. imho

Fly low, land on roads.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:03 AM

Agree with Cap. The recent perps are packing and impersonating cops. Good insurance and willing compliance is the best policy in the face of guns.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:06 AM

Sunman,
Check Nomad archives. The subject of weapons in lieu of guns in Mexico was well debated and there are some really creative suggestions.

Cap's advice in this string is best: avoidance. Your chances are better if you can anticipate, make a plan and eliminate all the elements that were present in recent armed robberies; TJ-Rosorito-Ensenada Corridor during dark hours; ostentatious and expensive looking vehicles with visible toys, and naivety.

Mango's big flashlight idea is good. I carry a 10" serrated filet knife between my seats and I also carry Wasp Spray. The military has never said anything about them. One young soldier wanted to buy the knife.

Of course, if a bad guy has a gun, he's the boss.

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:33 AM

Like Jack Nicholson, I prepare for hazards by keeping a sand wedge, 7 iron, 5 iron, 4 wood and driver behind the seat in the pickup. Balls and glove are in the drivers' side door pocket. The soldiers seem to find this amusing.

Other than that, your judgment and your vehicle are your best protection.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:26 PM

A little league baseball bat, especially the aluminum type are great. An adult size is just a bit to long and harder to fit under a seat.

A good tip from DanOs post, toss in a ball and glove to make it look legit.

[Edited on 9-25-2007 by backninedan]
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 12:34 PM

Thanks all, I certainly agree with the avoidance concept, for me its just nice to know its there and I was mainly concerned with the perception of it as a weapon. Believe me, if I have the slightest inkling of a gun being involved they will have my full compliance, I'm no John Wayne.
I'm always respectful and congenial w/ federales, etc, I was just wanting to avoid any unnecessary hassels and thought I'd get your take on things.
Toneart, I will also do a search on the other thread you mentioned.
Mango, I do carry a maglight, but the grande version is a bit big for under my seat.

Thanks again all, outstanding feedback on an OUTSTANDING board!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 06:21 PM

Unless you really want to tempt fate by hiding a firearm, pretty much all the other substitutes you'll hear about have greater value as psychological comfort for you than as any real deterrent to armed robbers, especially uniformed ones.

Remember that scene from "Crocodile Dundee"?

"Look out, he's got a knife!"

"That's not a knife. This is a knife."

Yeah, right. How often do you think you're going to be robbed by teenage punks with knives?

If such should occur, then baseball bats, machetes and such for close in or better yet, wasp spray for at least a comfort zone of 20 yards or so, or even a flare gun (provided you have the excuse of a boat) should be quite effective.

But what are the odds?

Odds are 1 in 100 you are going to be assaulted by armed thugs who are either actual police or posing as such.

This is opposed to 99 in 100 that your trip will be peaceful and uneventful.

If you're really, really paranoid, then hide a gun. Maybe they won't find it at the reten.

If you just want some reasonably effective security, take a large dog with you.

Otherwise, just don't act stupid and make yourself a target.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 07:02 PM

I've heard that a piece of pipe, wood, cable is just that untill you add tape to serve as a grip or handle. It changes the original intent of the item. It redefines it.
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I've heard that a piece of pipe, wood, cable is just that untill you add tape to serve as a grip or handle. It changes the original intent of the item. It redefines it.

Yep, another way of putting that you have turned an otherwise normal item into a weapon. Often not thought of well by the police. Baseball bats, golf clubs, etc.. all are well in good if you plan on playing baseball or golf; but, a flashlight (I carry small LED headlamp in the glovebox and another with the camping gear) seems to come in hand a lot for me.

It's something I can use all the time, keep by me at night when I sleep (I only have to grab one thing.. not a light AND a weapon), and if you hold the end with the bulb it has a built in knob/handle. Ask most police, they either know how too or have used their mag lite as a weapon.

The most reoccurring theme and best advice given here so far is avoidance, forethought, and using your instincts to keep you safe. A little luck never hurts too.

My main point is, most likely you will never use whatever you bring as a weapon; but, a flashlights serves multiple purposes that is used often so it justifies bringing it along. Bring something that just serves as a weapon and you are more likely to get in trouble for something you will never use anyways.

I always use my mag lite to find my other flashlights. :lol:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 08:01 PM
dual purpose

get a flashlight that also shoots pepper spray
Mango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
get a flashlight that also shoots pepper spray

Another good idea; but, I like toneart's idea of wasp spray. That is unless you really like the taste of pepper spray on your elote. ;)
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 09:07 PM
Wasp spray !

Wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that !:biggrin::biggrin: Here's to you (Hombre del Sol) having a Safe and Peaceful trip.
Buen Viaje , Tortuga

[Edited on 9-26-2007 by tortuga]

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

The above statement is exactly what prompted me to pose the question. I've never had a problem traveling in Baja before and as Oso says it 1 in a 100 that anything would ever happen. All of the local Mexicanos I have encountered over the years have been nothing but the most generous and gracious people I have ever encountered in life. Didn't mean to come across as a paranoid rookie, I have most of the other things mentioned in my camping gear, guess I was just wondering if I should ditch the "head beater" even though I'm rolling solo. Also, I will have an 86 lb. Lab riding shotgun... he is without a doubt the best security device ever, not that he'd hurt a flea or fly!!

Anyway, great discussion , really looking forward to hitting the road, gettin' dirty and tuning out for awhile (and maybe catching a wave or two :lol:). Thanks for the well wishes Tortuga, see you all out on the Magnificent Peninsula!!!

Sunman
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 11:05 PM

I appreciate a periodic review of this issue and am glad you posted on it and thanks those who responded. I am heading down the mainland this winter and forgot how many wasps there are down there.

Iflyfish
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 07:33 AM

We drove north from BCS a couple of days ago and I forgot to tuck our stun gun in with my bathing suits like I usually do when we travel. At one of the checkpoints a soldier was being observed by his superior officer during the inspection of our camper and my husband said the soldier found the stun gun, removed it from it's case and gave it a couple of zaps in the air.

To the commandante, my esposo explained that (especially in the summertime) the 2 of us are often the only ones camping in many of the places we stop for the night. The commandante nodded and said "buen idea"and we were on our way.

I don't think the army guys would be concerned about your pipe/duct tape thing Sunman but i'd suggest avoiding the usual stashing spots if you're concerned. They always check under our truck front seat and the glove box. They never check the contents of the 6 or 8 Rubbermade containers in the back seat, and only once or twice have asked us to open any of the compartments in the truck utility bed.

Our 2 cats travel in a large dog kennel in the back seat. The soldiers see the kennel and ask about "the dogs", and when we tell them they're cats, occasionally they'll perk up and growl asking if they are mean cats (because they're in a "cage" I guess). Most of the time they completely ignore the thing which makes me think it would be a great place to stash things that you want to keep out of sight.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 07:55 AM

Here's another option.

http://www.safetygearhq.com/c2-tasers.htm
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Baseball bats, golf clubs, etc.. all are well in good if you plan on playing baseball or golf.

That was precisely my point. You never know when you'll be "forced" to hop out of the truck, have a couple of bloody mary's and play a few holes of golf (the guys who play at Baja Country Club know exactly what I'm talking about).

We also have baseball stuff in the truck most of the time. My kids are both little leaguers and are always up for an impromptu game on the beach (we bring a couple of extra gloves for the local kids who inevitably come out to play when we start throwing it around).

As far as self defense, I rely on my judgment and several thousand pounds of steel, rubber, glass and plastic. Oh, and my natural charm.
:tumble:

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
latortugaguera
Banned

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 09:43 AM

I have a taser X26C . In a few occasions Ensenada fine police officers ask me what I use for protection I show them my x26c the first thing they ask me, how much does it costs?
They smile and say, don’t hesitate using it if in trouble.
Im not recommending everyone getting one, prolly illegal but it works for me.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.