Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Need Fishing Advice for Camalu and San Quintin
chris

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 01:55 PM
Need Fishing Advice for Camalu and San Quintin

Considering driving to and fishing from Camalu. I stayed there before and know it's primitive. No prob. Only contact I've found is Renee the waiter, $200 for day for fishing but quality of boat and his skill completely unknown. Heard there is another guy at Camalu, cheaper and better? San Quintin obviously more popular. Prices for two fisherman on panga at San Quintin? Advice? Is this good time of year? I can go to East Cape instead...am familiar with that...was thinking I'd try something different.:biggrin:
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 02:02 PM

The man you want to contact is Lee Moreno. I don't have his current cell number, but will make some calls. He is busy, and you need to book in advance. They launch directly through the waves, and any serious baja fisherman needs to experience this kind of panga fishing at least once.

There is also a new hotel near there, and they rent cruisers.

I would still go with Lee. Tell him you want some crab claws and he will take you out to pull a few of his traps. He will send you home with a cooler full and all your friends will think you are a fishing GOD!

Fishing is good right now for a variety of species. If you turn at the first Pemex when you are coming down the hill, then hook a right out to the beach, when you come to the crest of the hill, and can see the water, he has the house on the left. It is red brick and has mucho boats. He gets back from fishing everyday at about 2pm. He has craps for sale, and you can book a reservation for the next day

edit note. somehow my crabs are turning into craps.

[Edited on 25-9-2007 by Minnow]:lol::lol:

[Edited on 25-9-2007 by Minnow]

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
chris

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 02:12 PM

Dudebro, you're a god! I'm assuming you're saying that Lee Moreno is out of Camalu...I've heard his name before. Phone number would be greatl Heard he charges like $120...true? We tip good...do we bring all our own gear, does he have anything? Do you ever fish out of San Quintin? It seems a little more "touristy" but maybe that's ok too. Where else do you go in Baja?
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 02:26 PM

Here is Lee's number 616-107-3126

He has gear, but bring your own. He has GPS Radio fishfinder, and a lifetime of experience.

As far as "where do you go" get a copy of the "baja catch" Since I first got mine in 1991, I have basically fished 85% of the places he mentions, And some he doesn't, like Camalu.

chris

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 02:38 PM

Price from Lee? Would you recommend him over the gang at San Quintin?

I did read BCatch way back when too..it started my love afair of fishing and of Baja. I've just mostly spent it south of Loreto...now that I live in San diego though I'm interested in Northern Baja...
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 03:24 PM

Lee speaks English. Call him and he will tell you how much.

Unless you fish out of Celito Lindo, it is about 45 minutes to the mouth of the bay, then, who knows how far To find the fish.

The boats in SQ are generally nicer than Lee's, but he has a radio and a network of boats. He is a crabber by trade. Also, he has been a professional fisherman for over 20 years in the area. You figure it out.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 08:04 AM

Minnow,

Lurking over this thread, I will seek Lee out. Combination of network of boats, surf launch (haven't done that), electronics, and Stone Crabs, I'm in.

Thanks for the tip, even though it wasn't for me!:smug:

Ken
chris

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 11:23 AM

Tried calling Lee's number...didn't go through. Is it 011-52-624 then 616-107-3126 or is it "American" cell?
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 11:30 AM

It is a Mexican cell. I believe you need to put a zero in there somewhere.

try 011-52-0616-107-3126

You are welcome Ken. Lee is a terrific guy,and fishing with him is an experience you will not forget.

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 11:45 AM

Here's what I know about SQ area fishing...
It's divided into 3 general locations:
1. Surf launch (SL) fishing fleet
2. Old Mill (OM) fishing fleet
3. Ceilito Lindo (CL) fishing fleet
The SL group can go directly west and get out to San Martin Isl. and surrounding sea mounts fairly quickly (most direct route).
The OM group has to go about 10 mi. up the bay channel to the main point before they head out to island.
The CL group can launch directly from the sand spit just inside of the main point B4 heading out.

OM and CL have the advantage in that they can make bait at the mouth B4 going out. Not so easy for SL.
If the fish are biting south of SQ (e.g. Playa Tranquillo), OM and CL can go directly there. SL has farther to go unless they trailer the boats over to the Old Mill ramp 1st.
On the return trip OM has to go 10mi. to get back to ramp. CL and SL (if at isl.) can go directly to launch sites in short order.
All cost about $250 - $300 for the day depending on season.
CL boats are older and fair condition. Don't know about SL boats. OM boats best of the three. All carry radios / GPS.

Here's my quesion...Why do Castros Camp boats charge $160/day and SQ boats $250-300/day ? Why the difference ?

I have a theory why but I wanted to hear 1st from others...
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 03:20 PM

Quote:

Here's my quesion...Why do Castros Camp boats charge $160/day and SQ boats $250-300/day ? Why the difference ?

name recognition...and guys will pay it....

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 03:29 PM

Woody is probably right but here is another possibility: quality of fishing.

As I understand it Castro's is mainly for those interested in loading up on bottomfish. The attraction at SQ is yellowtail, white seabass, and even albacore in season. The rockcod boats were always cheaper in socal when I lived down there, perhaps this is the same. Why? maybe the gas involved.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 04:03 PM

maybe living in SQ is more expensive.......out at castro's the guys don't need as much $ to survive.....probably wrong, but worth the time to let DK reply to another thread....:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
maybe living in SQ is more expensive.......out at castro's the guys don't need as much $ to survive.....probably wrong, but worth the time to let DK reply to another thread....:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

:lol::lol::lol::bounce::lol::lol::lol:

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
It is a Mexican cell. I believe you need to put a zero in there somewhere.

try 011-52-0616-107-3126

You are welcome Ken. Lee is a terrific guy,and fishing with him is an experience you will not forget.

I think you need to add a 1 not a 0;

011 52-1-616-107-3126

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 07:27 AM

My theory on why the price differential??

A few years ago some Americans got involved in the sportfishing business with the Mexican captains in SQ. I think all the sportfishing captains got together and decided to charge the same price no matter who you went out with. Think about it...SQ is the last decent bay to launch out of with large boats until you get to Pta. Santa Rosalillita...about 160 miles away. Whether you go out in a beat up boat out of Cielito Lindo or a decent boat from Old Mill or the beach launch route you pay the same price. All different captains.

Castros fishing is not organized the same way...there you have one extended family basically owning and operating the entire operation and property at the launch site. There are no other captains to meet with to set prices. They simply haven't caught on to what they could chanrge and get away with from the Gringos. BTW...Castros will take you out to chase tuna / albacore if they are in close enough. Their limit is about 20mi.
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 03:59 PM

I have fished Camalu with Lee several times. Last trip was a few weeks ago and the WSB were on the chew. His cell # 011521 616 159 6575. He runs 3 pangas and knows his shtuff! ($140 day) The beach launch and snatch and grab on the return is definetly something to experience! You can stay at the Pirates Cove Hotel about 5 minutes from Lees house ($45 night). Phone # 011521 616 107 3126. As Minnow said...turn right at the Pemex in Camalu and follow the road to the end where the hotel is and Lees place is just a few minutes before on the right, cant miss it. SQ will be more expensive, $65-75 night at the old mill hotel and up to $270 for a boat. More ambiance, busier, noisier but nice. You will probably need a reservation well in advance for SQ. Not so far in advance for Camalu. Medium sized Krocs are the trick in both places.

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 04:00 PM

ooops...Lees place is on the left on the way out to the hotel.

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 04:06 PM

Correction.....................

Old Mill $42 per night single room. (includes welcome Pacifico!)

Stayed there this past July 4th, drove in with no reservation, got two rooms. It was by no means full. We could have been lucky, but all the times I have stayed there we have never made a reservation.

Did the same thing in March, drove in and got a room.

I'm not talking fishing boat reservations, just the room.

Noisy has not been my experience in and around the rooms.

Ken
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 04:06 PM

Nice update Bajabum. Thanks

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.