BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: May 19 - May 24 Travel Baja
goob2020

[*] posted on 5-15-2008 at 02:14 AM
May 19 - May 24 Travel Baja

Hey everyone...i am looking for a low budget baja adventure. I have the 19th - the 24th free and would like to go into baja from San Diego.

I would like to take with me, a backpack, sleeping bag, tent, surf rod, supplies.

I am not that familiar with baja so if anyone would want to take an adventure with me or meet me along the way that would be great and very much welcomed.

I am a 29 year old male. I am very adventurous, friendly, and easy to get along with. I love meeting new people and experiencing new things.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a plan of action for me based on the little information i have provided. I would much rather a cultural fun experience than a tourist destination. I like a good time and some beers but i want to do it how the natives do it :)

Any advice or companions would be greatly appreciated!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2008 at 09:21 AM

Gee... with not much info, I suggest you use my 'self guided tours' web page and look at the photos and pick something that looks good to you.

http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/tours

You didn't say what you are driving... but 4WD will only be needed if you want to drive in deep sand or up steep grades.

In 6 days, you could get down to Mulege/ Bahia Concepcion (one LONG day's drive, better if 2)... But, much easier would be Bahia de los Angeles... Just 8 hours from the border/ Tijuana... A small town with many eating places, motels, campgrounds, museum, interesting sites, and FISHING. Go up to La Gringa and fish off the gravel beach that faces east toward's Smith Island. See my photos of the Bahia de los Angeles area and see if that is your cup of tea!

In this web site are 3 pages with some photos from Nov. 2006 at L.A. Bay, following the Baja 1000 race we helped with: http://vivabaja.com/1106

One of the most beautiful bay's in Baja, 'The Bay of the Angels':

The beach at Guillermo's, downtown L.A. Bay:

Here's the east beach at La Gringa:

That's Smith Island and its volcano, behind us:

[Edited on 5-15-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 5-15-2008 at 11:41 AM

DANG! If I were 20 years....

Hold on - my return call from Demi is coming through.;D

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, \'What a ride!\' - Author Unknown
oldlady
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2008 at 11:45 AM

Precisely! Only make it 40.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2008 at 11:54 AM

debindesert -

Go for it. I like your art and a painting with a smile might be a result if you get together.

You cougar!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 04:22 PM

You girls scare me!:lol::o

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by debindesert
DANG! If I were 20 years....

Hold on - my return call from Demi is coming through.;D

Cougars are good. I believe in Baja, you would be called a Puma.

You go, girl!

Puma Power <*)))><

[Edited on 17-5-2008 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 09:04 PM

Drive 9 hrs, st0p twice to eat some tacos where there are at least 2 people eating, stop again to water the surounding desert make a left that looks interesting like bahia de los angeles and go for it . Ruben Dagget has a real nice camp ground in Bay of LA. Tell him I said hi from Armando and GAbi have fun.. Go fishing its amazing...and go to La Gringa a must..

READY SET.....................
debindesert
Nomad

Mood: Amused

[*] posted on 5-16-2008 at 09:06 PM

¡Viva el puma! \*/ ;)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, \'What a ride!\' - Author Unknown
goob2020

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 05:27 PM

Haha...well ok...a bit off subject but im never one to turn down a cougar...lol.

I still havnt left yet...im am going to leave early Wed Morning. I am going to be taking the bus from the tj bus terminals.

Any suggestions for stops?

Another thing i am concerned about...i am going to be traveling with just a backpack. If i stop and want to do things...where could i put my backpack???
Any suggestions would be great.

Mostly i will be surf fishing and camping....hopefully eating my catch!
Maybe ill trap a cougar along the way as well!

Still looking for people to join in if you would be interested send me a message!
Jon
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 05:56 PM

The bus does NOT go the 41 miles to Bahia de los Angeles, but will drop you off at the junction (Parador Punta Prieta) which is 7 miles north of the village of Punta Prieta. Hitch hike in from there... very common... Too bad you don't drive, then you could really have a good time seeing new places, easily... gas is only $2.40-$2.80/ gallon in Mexico.

goob2020

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 08:23 PM

David thanks for the great info...

Any answer to where i would be able to put my stuff when i stop places along the bus route?
Also...do you need a fishing license to surf fish?

Thanks a lot!!
Jon
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 08:49 PM

Keep your stuff with you.

You do not need a fishing license to surf fish.

If you get off the bus at the Bahia de Los Angeles turn off, make sure you have plenty of water with you as it could be a long wait, and it's a REALLY LONG walk.

Have a great adventure!

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
goob2020

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 09:45 PM

Hmmm...im just going to have a fairly large back pack with all my gear and everything. I am thinking that it will be hard to carry around if i want to go out or do something around a city.
Any other suggestions :)
Jon
Von
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 09:52 PM

Hey its the 19th you leave already I see your online?

goob2020

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 10:10 PM

no not yet...im thinking im going to leave wed morning....still trying to figure out a route....the "where am i going to put my stuff?" question is really kind of getting to me.
Any ideas?
Jon
Von
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 10:29 PM

Just get one big camping backpack with everything you need and go to Bay of La. You ll be fine go to Camp Daggets and no one will touch your stuff talk to Ruben and Amanda they have a place where you can camp leave your stuff there its cool. I always carry half my money with me and half I hide or stash it bury it somewhere close to your campground just underneath the dirt dont worrry about it.. heres what his camp looks like looking at the water...

[Edited on 5-20-2008 by Von]

IMG_0559a.JPG - 21kB

goob2020

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 11:19 PM

That sounds great...
I was just thinking...if i want to stop in some towns on the way....
goob2020

[*] posted on 5-19-2008 at 11:21 PM

or not even go as far as baha de los angeles...just for time constraints. I am not sure i want to play it by ear....but i am fairly concerned about losing all of my stuff.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2008 at 08:30 AM

El Rosario maybe? Baja Cactus is only about $35 for a luxery room... The beach is 5 miles away... Surf perch fishing. You could camp out there, too.

Maybe Cielito Lindo... or better, Gypsy's RV park for camping... and Laura's Wet Buzzard Cantina for great burritos... This is on the south side of San Quintin (a mile west of the Las Pintas /Desert Inn Hotel)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.