BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto Dorado
perk

[*] posted on 6-24-2008 at 01:19 PM
Loreto Dorado

Just returned from a great fishing trip to Loreto targeting Dorado. My fishing partner and I boated 13 fish to 40 pounds over 4 days.
The second day of the trip we were the second boat on a piece of sargasso. The first panga there was hooked up. We immediately got a double hook up on a couple of nice fish. We were on them solidly and visibly, both off the stern, for about 5 to 10 minutes when Arturo's cabin cruiser pulled up and got his client hooked up. The captain, Tito, then put the boat in reverse and backed over and sawed both our lines. My friends at about 20 yds and mine at 30. At this point we yelled 'gracias' at him, he returned salutation with a double fisted finger.
Upon return to Port Loreto, we went to the worm Arturo's office and explained the situation. He told us he can't control his panguero's and to 'leave', then picked up his little cell phone and started dialing what he said was the police.
Arturo's 'fleet' probably kills more billfish than any other sport fishing agency North of La Paz. Never fish with Arturo's. There are easy to locate respectable agencies and independents in Loreto. In fact, if you need a recommendation; send me an email.
Good fishing and be safe.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-24-2008 at 01:23 PM

perk,:D So we're fighting over a weed patch.:(
JaraHurd
Nomad

Mood: probably annoyed

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 08:22 AM

Thanx for the tip. IF this happened as you described, it is a breech of fishing etiquette and a pretty bad one. I am driving down to Baja Sur for two week in late August. I plan on fishing for two days in the Loreto area. With several outfits to chose from, it won't be with whoever Arturo is. Any other suggestions? Like I said, I hate to blindly believe one post or unverified incident..but..I am taking it on blind faith that this incident occurred. And the reaction to you complaint at the office was not appropriate either. Of course, we are only hearing one side of the story...thanx for the post...J
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 02:12 PM

I have known Arturo since l994 while spending my winters down there. If what you say is true, He must be suffering from some sort of 'brain disorder' to ask you to leave his premises!!!! I've not seen that side of Arturo. I'm hoping some of those who have fished with his captains before might step in and comment on this. I'll be down there in late October, and will talk with him about what happened. Are there any witnesses who would have been guests on the "other" boat of Aruro's that might confirm your story of what happened? I am amazed the captain would flip you the bird unless he felt 'justified' by your actions????????????????????????
BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 06:29 PM

Pics of the fish man. I need pics to enjoy a good fish story.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 09:17 PM

Here's a photo just for you BirdDog;

cat.jpg - 25kB
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 10:34 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think FlyfishingPam guides out of Loreto?

Iflyfish
BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 05:35 AM

Diver get the skinning pliers and fire up the fryer.:biggrin:
perk

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 12:22 PM

Roberto, independent, has a super panga, 225$ n/i bait, tip
ph. Loreto 61313 52562

Or, of course, Bajabigfish, 1st class operation
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 01:06 PM

Offshore fishing has never been a cheap proposition.:D By the time you've loaded up with fuel, ice, bait, refreshments, etc., you're looking at a peso/dollar or two.:spingrin:But!!! And this is a big "but". :DYou expect some bang for your bucks.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2008 at 08:58 PM

Load up with heavier line, Dorado don't care, and muscle them in faster.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 06:18 AM

gregg, I don't know what that is but it aint fishing.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Load up with heavier line, Dorado don't care, and muscle them in faster.

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
gregg, I don't know what that is but it aint fishing.

So day before yesterday, we're stopped fishing a school of dorado that just won't quit biting. So I thought I'd try my new spinning reel that my daughter recently brought down.

I haven't used a spinning reel much since the 60s, when I had one of the ubiquitous Mitchell reels. This one was a "Baitrunner" that, in theory, lets the spool spin so the bait can run. But it also has a little lever on the underside of the reel that turns off the anti-reverse feature. Why that would be there, especially on a saltwater reel with the baitrunner feature, is beyond me. Anyway, somehow, perhaps when the bottom of the reel rested on my knee, that lever moved. :O:no:

I tossed a sardinia for chum; immediately a dorado boiled on it. I got another sardine and baited my circle hook, tossed it in the water...boil! Let the fish run, then set the hook and YOWWOW! the reel handle spun backwards, out of control at 1000 RPM into my hand. One bruised knuckle and two broken nails. Ouch.

Got the fish, though. Released it, along with all the others. Finished the day with some midget but beautiful roosterfish inshore.

Still, the more wide open the fishing gets, the lighter I go. I lose some good fish doing that, but that's fun too.

I am going to duct tape that lever down, though.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 08:11 AM

Good for you Don. I'm going out Thursday looking for big bulls. They are here and hungry -- a lot of 40 to 55 lb bulls. I just want one on light line but he'll be for dinner for wife and I and neighbors if I'm lucky. Lots of marlin around now too but I'm going to leave that fight to my fishing partner. We're not bait fishing so we can release anything we wish and it will have a better chance to survive the ordeal when we remove the hook/lure.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 05:00 PM

The faster you bring a fish onboard or release him, the less stress on the fish. The Japanese tuna buyers know about lactic acid buildup etc.:)A long drawn-out struggle on light line is fun for the fisherman, but puts more stress on the fish.:)Give me a spool of 120lb.test dacron on a 4/0 Penn and other than billfish or big sharks, I'll make it quick and easy for most anything down in the Sea of Cortez.:spingrin:
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 06:06 PM

Cypress, I'll let the sportfishing world know how you do it and why, then we can all get in line. There won't be any reason for magazines, clubs, tourneys, etc. Thanks, and thanks again for all the little bouncing balls.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2008 at 06:14 PM

You're welcome.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.