Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Recommendations for Quad Purchase
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 06:32 PM

Let's get back to the topic of quads.

I take it you have not owned quads before. We have several which include:

2 Yamaha Warriors 350cc electric start, 6 speed, with clutch. Reliable bikes and sporty

2 Honda 250 EX 250cc electric start, 5 speed, no clutch (just shift) shaft drive (no chain)Extremely reliable adult sized bikes.

2 Yamaha Breeze's 125cc electric start, fully automatic, small adult sized, perfect for ladies, kids, beginners.

All these bikes have reverse as well and are all 4 stroke motors.

I see the 250's advertised all the time on CraigsList San Diego for $2000 and up in good shape.

Where are you retiring in Baja?

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 07:01 PM

My "friend" Just called my Ranger a "motorized wheel chair for old folks." Ouch!:(
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
V-twin but a gas hog and They are not winning anything!!!!!

and thats a Polaris people. not an Outlander

[Edited on 5-30-2008 by rts551]

Of course. Isn't that what I said? The Outlander is a quad, and THAT's what's raced in SCORE.

[Edited on 5-30-2008 by Roberto]
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 07:30 PM

I have 2 polaris' quads that are 2 stroke. I think it is impossible to get a 2 stroke anymore, but if you find a 2 stroke stay away from it. They are more difficult to keep going and almost always are fouling out plugs. My neighbor in San Felipe, who is my mechanic, is sold on Hondas??
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Let's get back to the topic of quads.

I take it you have not owned quads before. We have several which include:

2 Yamaha Warriors 350cc electric start, 6 speed, with clutch. Reliable bikes and sporty

2 Honda 250 EX 250cc electric start, 5 speed, no clutch (just shift) shaft drive (no chain)Extremely reliable adult sized bikes.

2 Yamaha Breeze's 125cc electric start, fully automatic, small adult sized, perfect for ladies, kids, beginners.

All these bikes have reverse as well and are all 4 stroke motors.

I see the 250's advertised all the time on CraigsList San Diego for $2000 and up in good shape.

Where are you retiring in Baja?

250ex is semiautomatic. Has an integrated clutch.

None of these bike are 4x4. 2k is entry level Unless you do your homework.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
V-twin but a gas hog and They are not winning anything!!!!!

and thats a Polaris people. not an Outlander

[Edited on 5-30-2008 by rts551]

Of course. Isn't that what I said? The Outlander is a quad, and THAT's what's raced in SCORE.

[Edited on 5-30-2008 by Roberto]

Ohhh Roberto.... You also probably own a Cheby... Just teasing. I like the Outlander. Just would not own one. I like the simplicity and durability of the Honda (Rancher 420)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 07:46 PM

My quads are full time baja machines.

4x4 Ranger goes everywhere.... and a

2 wheel drive 250x "sport" quad is for playing (for me) and racing (for my son).

I learned that where I live, it is easier to keep it simple. Parts are hard to get to include tires.

Keep this in mind when buying.... Is it a Baja bike or do you run it back and forth in your P/U
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
I like the Outlander. Just would not own one. I like the simplicity
and durability of the Honda (Rancher 420)

Different priorities for a full-time Baja machine, of course. Getting the Outlander serviced in Baja would be a problem, but not one I have. They are quite reliable however, and you just can't believe the power on this thing. Being designed to carry two people is the primary reason I own it.

The Honda Rancher 350 is a workhorse, and I can work on it myself if necessary, but a totally different ride.

And no --- I drive a Ford Diesel.
Chamaco
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 07:54 PM

Do yourself a big favor and call OTD Cycle Sports out of L.A. I bought my quad there and they could not be beat. I do not know anybody who works there and do not own the place. They give out the door prices via the internet

What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his own soul- J.C.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2008 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chamaco
Do yourself a big favor and call OTD Cycle Sports out of L.A. I bought my quad there and they could not be beat. I do not know anybody who works there and do not own the place. They give out the door prices via the internet

They are also here: http://www.otdcyclesports.com/.

Another good resource is Motoworld of El Cajon, in ... El Cajon (in San Diego County). For your purposes, I would look for something like the Honda Rancher. 4X4 probably necessary. Every major manufacturer makes a Utility quad something like this Honda model.
just1man

Mood: Courageous

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 02:28 PM

Do yourself & your wife a favour and get an older VW Baja bug or an old square-back and put some dirt tires on it.

They'll drive over almost anything, parts are easy to come by in MX. and all you need to work on them is a standard screwdriver and a crescent wrench. If it breaks down you can either get someone (usually sympathetic because they owned one once:spingrin:) or just leave it on the side of the road after taking the coil out!

Riding a quad isn't something you should run out and pick up at an accelerated age. One foot off the peg and you could really tear up your leg permanently.

Get in, put your seat belt on, crack a coldie and go to the beach!

Air down the tires for encounters with sand:light:

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2008 at 03:11 PM
Honda Rincon

Still like my '03 Rinny and would get another. Rode the Bombadier, Polaris and Yamaha and liked the Honda. Combo auto/3 speed tranny and easy to work on. No problems so far and it's still fast. Honda has 5 of top 10 models.

HWNorth

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 12:08 PM

A couple of thoughts I would consider ..
Service - IF you need parts or service .. where can you obtain and for what brand ?
Budget - what does it allow ?

Although I have Yamaha, Honda and Lonkin, as well have owned Kawasaki and Susuki... I would still suggest Honda products as far as reliability.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by just1man
Do yourself & your wife a favour and get an older VW Baja bug or an old square-back and put some dirt tires on it.

They'll drive over almost anything, parts are easy to come by in MX. and all you need to work on them is a standard screwdriver and a crescent wrench. If it breaks down you can either get someone (usually sympathetic because they owned one once:spingrin:) or just leave it on the side of the road after taking the coil out!

Riding a quad isn't something you should run out and pick up at an accelerated age. One foot off the peg and you could really tear up your leg permanently.

Get in, put your seat belt on, crack a coldie and go to the beach!

Air down the tires for encounters with sand:light:

Too old? Not sure, but my guess is you know little of Quads or ATVs
FYI quads have floor boards with support pegs under...some ATV don't.
Also to suggest a rolling coffin (no brakes or engine) is not good...and yes I have been in too many VW's.

Important info...
1) no straight axles. That knocks Honda out as they were way behind the curve and only the newest models have independent suspension...this is a must for Baja. Honda is trying to catch up to Polaris and you can forget about all the rest (manufactures)period.
2)Automatics...unless you like like wearing out your skin on your toes (sandals) and being annoyed by having to shift all the time, not to mention getting stuck because you didn't shift right.
3) Water cooled...another must in Baja hot areas...Hondas do not measure up here either. Owners have to watch then close and keep moving.
4) Polaris has a 60" wide wheel stance...won't turn over easy. Not sure if honda has copied this yet.
The Polaris 2-up is really the best choice and you don't need anything over 500cc.
If you can find a year old model at a dealer, a basic bike maybe 6500-7000, but don't quote me.

Edit: Polaris have zero problems I have experienced (mine is a 2005), but the drive belt is a good thing to have as a spare.

Edit: Also want to add Honda has one advantage...it is quieter, but it's HP sucks. That said I think I would still trade a little HP for quieter, but never would I trade bikes...

[Edited on 7-10-2008 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 02:00 PM

Just got quoted $7100 for new 2008 2-up 500cc Polaris (Green or red) and I am sure you can get a better deal then that. Hell, if I could get $5000 for my fully loaded Polaris in Todos Santos...I would go for that. I really like the 2-ups.

[Edited on 7-11-2008 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 04:50 PM

I have a low mileage 2002 Sportsman 500HO I'd let go for $4000. Finally fixed the leaky front hub.
bremptg

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 05:22 PM
Quads

Thanks to you all for your input. I'm 60 yo and have no desire to go off into the hills stump jumping. I envision going to the beach, fishing and maybe the occasional trip to the tienda for more Pacifico. Pretty mellow riding so I have no need of a hot rod.

I'll be wintering somewhere in the Mulege area starting next fall. I live in a rural area of Washington State (Hood Canal) and I guess I would drag it (or them, if my wife wants one too) down to Baja along with the boat.

I'm going to look real hard at the 2 seat model. Less maint. than with two quads.

thanks again
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2008 at 06:05 PM

bremptg. I wondered what "brem" stood for. Bremerton? I lived 4 years just 2 or 3 miles short of Tahuya then move to Buck Lake for about 4yrs and then to Wye Lake for awhile and Manchester before moving down here. Worked for the county parks 9yrs.
Oh yeah, the quad, I think most of the mulege folks have quads smaller than 500cc but the places you can explore from there are unlimited. Like all the way to San Ignacio? My Sportsman 500 would be perfect. You'll definitely want independent rear axles.Two riders works fine and I have a cargo box and front rack. Rod holders in front too. Shop manual and lots of spare parts. 60, I hope, isn't too old to take on a few boulders. No many stumps down here. I'll hit 60 next year. Like I said I love my new Ranger if you can get one I'd do it. Good luck! Here's nephew and his son on my quad.

Jr..jpg - 48kB
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.