Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The new fence
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 03:54 PM
The new fence

Welded steel. Expensive. Aside from the taxpayer expense, the main thing that bothers me is that ain't the border on the other side of it. This stretch runs North-South in Gadsden, AZ about 3 miles north of the Sonora border at San Luis. The Baja border is essentially what's left of the Colorado River about another 3 miles west of this fence. I'm uneasy about access to my favorite dove hunting area just this side of the river. There are also Ag fields on the other side of this fence. There appear to be a few openings for gates and they SAY provisions will be made for farmers and sportsmen. We'll see. There's just something that feels wrong about a "Berlin Wall" INSIDE my own country.

100_0456 (Small).JPG - 48kB

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
palmeto99
Banned

Mood: Trying to bring the worlds people together one post at a time.

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 04:10 PM

You are worried about your favorite dove hunting area because we have to build a fence to protect our borders from drug terrorists and the like.
I think you might want to update your list of priorities as it pertains to your country. Just a thought.:cool:

The advice I am about to give you is worth what you are paying for it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 04:34 PM
Didn't Stalin build a fence??

And wasn't it to keep people apart??

But, no matter how the politics flow I would think long and hard about packing iron through the gate, and then thinking you might get let back in....
Just a thought.

On the other hand, you do have your rights.... right???
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 04:47 PM

I'm with you OSO...it doesn't seem right to build a fence like that in the United States...it's not the way it should be...

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 04:57 PM

Gee... and all because of certain people who think they don't need to enter our country legally, like everyone else...

As for Stalin and others like him:

Communist built walls to keep their people in... it was so bad there.

We build walls to keep people out... it is so good here.

Actually, it is just to keep out law breakers, undocumented types, reduce the introdution of disease and pests, have some control of our country...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tsgarcia69
Banned

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 05:11 PM

You should notice there is no fence between the US and Canada, and none is planned. That is because we can rely upon Canada to police their side of the border and watch our backs for us.

People make jokes and complaints here about cheap Canadians and how they are moochers. The reality is that Canada is the strongest ally, and best friend and partner the US has. Canada took a big chance on 9/11 when it let all the international flights that were barred from landing in the US land in Canada. In those first few hours, nobody knew if the attacks on the WTC were an isolated incident or that start of WWIII.

The fence on the southern border is not really to keep illegal immigrants out, per se. It is to keep out drugs and terrorists. Nobody at the Department of Homeland Security is lying awake at night worrying about illegal immigrants looking to get a job plucking chickens at $6.25 per hour. The fence is going up because Mexico is not the partner Canada is.

palmeto99
Banned

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
And wasn't it to keep people apart??

But, no matter how the politics flow I would think long and hard about packing iron through the gate, and then thinking you might get let back in....
Just a thought.

On the other hand, you do have your rights.... right???

Stalin built the gulags. It was Khrushchev who built the wall in 1961. It was an effort to keep people from escaping the iron curtain. To equate the two walls does a disservice to those who lost their lives trying to escape the east german regime.
We need to keep the drug terrorists out. Its that simple.
As for the immigration issue that gets thrown in for good measure. Give out 5 year green cards on a temporary basis as we require the workers.Its that simple as well.:cool:

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 10:34 PM

One more time for the inattentive; This fence is NOT on the border. It is 3 miles INSIDE the border.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2008 at 11:17 PM

This just in from Newsmadeup.com;

Recent rumours have been confirmed;
White House spokesmen confirmed early today that the proposed 3 mile wide "Borderline Preservation Zone" will be stocked with native birds and used for private hunts by "authorized" parties only.
A 48,000 square foot lodge will be built overlooking former favorite "illegal" crossing spots and is anticipated to cost approximately 146 billion dollars. Spokesman also confirmed that the cost would be added to the National Debt following the printing of sufficient "paper" to overpay contractors and other interested parties.
Additional details will .... not be forthcoming.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tsgarcia69
You should notice there is no fence between the US and Canada, and none is planned. That is because we can rely upon Canada to police their side of the border and watch our backs for us.

People make jokes and complaints here about cheap Canadians and how they are moochers. The reality is that Canada is the strongest ally, and best friend and partner the US has. Canada took a big chance on 9/11 when it let all the international flights that were barred from landing in the US land in Canada. In those first few hours, nobody knew if the attacks on the WTC were an isolated incident or that start of WWIII.

The fence on the southern border is not really to keep illegal immigrants out, per se. It is to keep out drugs and terrorists. Nobody at the Department of Homeland Security is lying awake at night worrying about illegal immigrants looking to get a job plucking chickens at $6.25 per hour. The fence is going up because Mexico is not the partner Canada is.

I would guess that drugs will still find their way across the border, despite the fence, as long as demand stays high in the US ( for instance, apparently only a fraction of the trucks that enter the country are inspected). And the 911 terrorists didn't come in across the Mexican border.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
This just in from Newsmadeup.com;

Recent rumours have been confirmed;
White House spokesmen confirmed early today that the proposed 3 mile wide "Borderline Preservation Zone" will be stocked with native birds and used for private hunts by "authorized" parties only.
A 48,000 square foot lodge will be built overlooking former favorite "illegal" crossing spots and is anticipated to cost approximately 146 billion dollars. Spokesman also confirmed that the cost would be added to the National Debt following the printing of sufficient "paper" to overpay contractors and other interested parties.
Additional details will .... not be forthcoming.

Hmmm, maybe if I can get Cheney to come hunt with me...
On second thought, I think he needs a remedial course in hunter safety. BTW, the area I'm talking about is known as "Hunter's Hole" and the county is planning to invest quite a lot of money in revitalizing it, much as they did with West Wetlands, removing non-native vegetation, planting cottonwoods etc, and developing it into a prime recreational area. It will be interesting to see how they work that out with ICE.

Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 07:49 AM

Crank it up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZkAoosVLkA
Wingnut
Nomad

Mood: Baja Pensive

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 01:56 PM

We don't need a dang fence. We just need the US government to understand that a worker permit program is a simple and easy solution to illegal immigration. Set up properly, permits could be granted after an applicant applies to the Mexican goverment for a paper that says they are a citizen in good standing (ie: not a convicted felon) with their correct address and Mexican ID on it. This would be the basis for issueing a work permit to work in the US for up to 12 months. At the end of 12 months, they would need to reapply for the permit all over again. You can add anywhere from 1 month to 3 months for the application period or waiting period to renew. With the US permit they can be taxed legally just like a US citizen. If they return to Mexico, all earned benefits (social security) would revert to the general fund. Then any illegal immigrants would be those unable to secure the worker permit and we can throw them in jail. There would be no criteria to apply for the permit other than proving they are a citizen of Mexico and probably paying a fee for the permit....Now doesn't that sound like an easy solution to the problem? Call your congressman today!:smug::smug::smug:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 02:05 PM

Wingnut. Your congressman is on paid vacation.:lol:Don't disturb.:lol:
Wingnut
Nomad

Mood: Baja Pensive

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 03:04 PM

Cypress --- Nah, mine is running for President......
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 03:14 PM

Wingnut,:lol:
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:

I would guess that drugs will still find their way across the border, despite the fence, as long as demand stays high in the US ( for instance, apparently only a fraction of the trucks that enter the country are inspected). And the 911 terrorists didn't come in across the Mexican border.

Plus the ONLY terrorist apprehended trying to smuggle explosives into the US was captured at the Vancouver POE. Someone needs to check facts and engage brain before operating mouth.

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 04:59 PM

Fences not only fence things out they fence paranoia in. If you check into it, there were plans to put a virtual fence between the U.S. and Canada. ... A no-mans land monitored by spy drones and monitor towers.
palmeto99
Banned

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:

Plus the ONLY terrorist apprehended trying to smuggle explosives into the US was captured at the Vancouver POE. Someone needs to check facts and engage brain before operating mouth.

I agree with you, Check your facts before engaging your mouth as you are painfully not informed.

[Edited on 8-22-2008 by palmeto99]

beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 8-21-2008 at 07:11 PM
These needy folks were apprended about 2-3 miles from my back yard !!

And my wife was asking why I have been updating my "arsenal".
Anyone coming to my property is identified or they are looking at
the business end of a weapon.

http://www.yumasun.com/news/patrol_43799___article.html/agen...

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.