BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: regular shipping best options from Ensenada
sortaflower

[*] posted on 3-7-2009 at 07:13 PM
regular shipping best options from Ensenada

My Husband and I own a very small online business, we are artists, and as our business is portable we are looking into spending some time in Ensenda, or Estero Beach beginning in June. We need to ship our wares internationally, at least once a week. Were thinking we could take a trip back across the border to Chula Vista once a week to do this, how big of a hassle am I looking at with this idea? I have read nothing good online about actually shipping from Mexico with success or speed.... Jenelle
sortaflower

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 08:04 AM

Specifically, how long would it take to drive from Ensenda, across the border to San Ysidro, spend about two hours there, then travel back to Ensenda? Are there better (faster) times of the week to make a trip like this? Thanks!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 09:00 AM

All sorts of variables to be considered in your question:
What side of Ensenada are you leaving from?
How fast do you drive?
Is the Army still spending a lot of time looking for nothing at the Ensenada Toll Plaza?
What day and time?
Do you have Sentri?
Are you crossing with goods that need to be declared?
Do you know how to get to Otay Mesa or Tecate?

Answer any that you can and we'll fill in the blanks for you.
sortaflower

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 04:48 PM

HI=) I am not living in Baja yet =)
I am asking to see if it is a possibility, it all hinges on
a)can I still run my business from there and
b) can I find a place to rent.

So any general estimations would be really very helpful, as in, if I drive slow, don't know my way around (resort to using map or google lol), am leaving about 8 am, and the army is doing whatever they do best, will it be an all day adventure, a half day adventure, overnight?

If I can get to the US to mail my goods once a week I will be there in a heartbeat.
What I will have on me are a bunch of glass beads (as in a little box or bag of say a couple hundred beads) that I have made, a notebook with order info on it, and some shipping supplies like tape and a marker. Plan to use priority boxes and buy bubble wrap when I am in town.

will the beads be a problem at the border? I can prove that I made them (vs buying them) with my business card, tax id number etc.

So can I get from anywhere in Ensenda to and through the border and back again in a day, or less?

Thanks for your pertinent questions.
What is sentri?

Jenelle
sortaflower

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 05:23 PM

ps I also have a side business making vegan bath and body products, lip balms, soaps etc. Am thinking I will have to wrap that up before I move, traveling into the US with packages of my retail ready lip balms may cause some fees, no?
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 05:59 PM

We have mail services here that will take and mail your packages for you as long as they are fairly small. They would probably ask that you leave them unsealed so US Customs can easily see what is inside. The same link I U2Ud earlier -- she also has a mail service.

Don't tell people you are running your business in Mexico - that a hole new can of worms.

From where we are in Punta Banda, you have to figure 2 1/2 - 3 hours to Chula Vista. That's with a SENTRI pass and getting through the myriad of military checkpoints. It's not a trip you want to make once a week...even once a month wears on you. Do look into the SENTRI pass if you think you'll be going back and forth even once a month. It's well worth it.

I would strongly suggest, as I'm sure my fellow Nomads second, you come down and spend a week looking around and talking to people You don't want to rent anything sight unseen. Find the place, make a list of what is provided in it -- then you know what you need to bring with you.

You might also want to check out our local Yahoo group - lots of info there as well
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/puntabandanewsletter

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 06:56 PM

I'll add my 2 cents.......takes me about 70-90 minutes from Ensenada to Otay crossing.......longest wait with SENTRI at Otay was 45 minutes.......

I would plan on a full day to get to SD, take care of business and get back....always an adventure!!!!

Take BB's advice and use a mail service....AND get a SENTRI card!!!!

Also good advice on spending a week in the area to check things out

sortaflower

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 07:21 PM

Wow- I am so ready for a change of pace that I already applied for passports and am into the planning of this move, we are in North Carolina, and with pets, and our family in other states so no pet sitters =), it is hard to get away to come for a visit first, although I would love to be able to do that. I lived in Chula Vista as a kid and loved it, the climate is a big reason for the move. Perhaps I will look into rentals a bit North, between Rosarito and Ensenada, to cut some time off the border crossing. (?)

On the mail service there is no way I would be comfortable with leaving packages unsealed, I work too hard to take chances like that, and have a solid client base that I do not want to lose over this move.

Why does the Sentri Pass make things easier? I looked up details of obtaining one and it sounds like quite a process....
Thanks for the heads up on stating livelihood ;)

Also looking into the Otay Crossing, thanks! =)
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 08:54 PM

i give up.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 11:19 PM

:lol::lol::lol:Kudos for the effort BB. As for flower, my personal recommendation would be to stick with your original plan and look for places in Ensenada and just South. The closer you are to the border, the closer you will be to the cartel violence.
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 01:10 AM

You've got some tough issues.

First, working in Mexico without the proper visa can be a problem if the Mexican authorities find out. Usually, its not a big deal if you keep it on the down-low. The US customs people don't care about your Mexican visa status; but, crossing every week with beads or items for import (that is what you would be doing) could be of interest for them.

You might look into getting an FM2 visa as an "artist"; but, I am unaware of it allows you to sell art, etc.. Technically, a tourist or FMT visa is for tourists and not people who rent; although it doesn't expressly prohibit you from renting. FM3 visas are for non-working permanent residents (retirees, etc)

Living in Mexico on an FMT is a serious gray area and does greatly limit your legal protections by only having an FMT if you run into legal trouble. (It's definitely not for people who own property.)

Finding a place to rent is best done in person. And can be hard without local references, etc. Be prepared to pay a big deposit and/or a few months up front. Getting utilities turned on could be interesting with only an FMT. It's been done, I've done it; but, my fiance is a Mexican national... so it was much easier for us to do.

There are a lot of other issues, its not easy and won't be cheap unless you speak good Spanish, know the culture, and know how to wheel and deal. However, you can't do it unless you try.

I'd definitely spend some time in the areas you are interested in before you rented. Hotels are not cheap and it may take you a few weeks to find a place. Many rentals don't include refrigerators, etc.. Be prepared to lay out some cash to buy some stuff, and well.. I wouldn't try crossing into Mexico with a U-haul full of furnishings on an FMT.

If change of climate is all you need, it might be easier just to look in the Southwest somewhere.

Also, have you traveled to Mexico before? Have you spent much time outside the resort areas and feel comfortable dealing with locals?

What kind of pets do you have? If, you have a bird well.. you don't even want to know. :lol: Dogs or Cats much easier, But may make it hard to find a place to rent.

Good luck, do some searches, and read up. I don't mean to discourage you. Feel free to ask away.

BTW - you can FedEx stuff, etc.. from Mexico; but, you will need to list and declare items, and it can/will be inspected by customs.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 06:30 AM

Thanks, Mango

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 07:39 AM

Mango speaks wisely ....

sortaflower

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 07:47 AM

awesome mango- thank you! =) I have been looking into the otay crossing, looks manageable, our glass beads are small and will not be obvious, we have cats, and being artists and selling goods online via a web site and ebay is the way we have been making our living for quite a while, living on the cheap as artists we are used to it, love the culture of Mexico, Husband knows the language passable and I am learning.

I can't tell from searches I have done, at Otay is there a shopping center near to the border crossing?

If I am being hardheaded about the shipping it is only because of the crap I have to go through when a jewelry designer is waiting for their bead order lol, not a good scenario, plus they are GLASS beads, carefully hand and flame crafted, and take hours of work to get each ready, no joke. Prefer to see them safely on their way in person. Most of our sales are to Germany, Australia, the UK, France, just want to ship them from US because of the reliability of the postal system there.

Although there seems to be a literal TON of bureaucracy to wade through, paperwork, and legalities, I still am desiring this move.

bajabound2005 I joined the yahoo group you recommended and also received an email response from Irka- thank you so much for the resources!

We will be driving a Van into baja, with just us, smiles, a couple of guitars, box of tools for glass craft, and our cats. Looking for a place that is furnished and will pick up what we needed after we are there.

We would like to buy an around town car once we are there as well, will we be able to tag and insure it with our US credentials and a tourist visa?
dianaji
Senior Nomad

Mood: hungry for knowledge, simplicity, hugs and fish tacos!

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 08:02 AM

sortaflower, i also have an online business, and have the same problem. however, since i do not live full time in baja, i ship from the US. i wouldn't even attempt an online business in baja...however, perhaps it would be worth it to u to travel from ensenada weekly. the trip is no fun. i sent u a u2u.

listen to the things these people are telling u...they can be very helpful.

diana

sortaflower

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 11:05 AM

Thank you dianaji =^.^= I am rethinking my business, forewarned is forearmed =)
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 12:09 PM

You won't be able to buy a car in Baja once you are there, at least not with Mexican plates. It would be legal for you to buy a cheapo car in San Diego, register and insure it in the US. Having at least some basic Mexican auto insurance on your van is a good idea too. Mexican plated cars can only be driven by Mexicans or those with and FM2 or FM3.

I'm not familiar with the Otay crossing but; there should be plenty of places to shop. Sorriana, Ley, and Calimax are all big supermarket chains that you will find scattered about.

You should be able to find a place to send/ship your stuff on the US side.

If you get stopped crossing into Mexico remember you are either camping or visiting. Going north the US customs people don't care about where you live or work; but, may care about the beads(probably won't) You might look around as to what if any regulations there is about importing art. I crossed into the USA with oil paintings I painted several times with nothing more than compliments from the CBP people.
dianaji
Senior Nomad

Mood: hungry for knowledge, simplicity, hugs and fish tacos!

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 12:19 PM

also, perhaps if u are bringing packages to be shipped, u could bring the product in a bag or box and then pack it when u get to the US. they have scales there at the post office. that way the packages will not have to be opened. this is just an idea...not sure of the best way...just thoughts.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.